Lots Road SW7 - 1975 Urban Terminus

Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Electrofrog points must have insulated joiners on both rails beyond the frog, just as they would under DC control. The frog changes polarity according to which route is set, and this will simply cause a dead short. Brian Lambert of this parish - sorry I can't immediately provide a link - has an excellent and very understandable website showing how it should all be done. If you use Peco point motors, then use the optional switch to power the frog. If you use a slow-mo motor like a Tortoise these tend to come with built in switches which do the job admirably.

Many thanks to both of you. Didn't know what a frog juicer was. Sounds like something to be found in a French kitchenware store next to the coffee grinders... I'd planned to use those little Peco microswitches together with Peco point motors.

Ian - I have a link to Brian Lambert's pages...

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.htm

As a bit of a numpty when it comes to wiring, his website is just about the only one that makes any kind of sense to me!

I'm supposed to be taking the van over to Travis Perkins in Cromer this afternoon to pick up some timber for a fencing job, but I think I'll sneak in a little detour to the Bure Valley Railway model shop in Aylsham to pick up some extra Peco flex track. I think I'll crack on with the tracklaying as it gives me some respite from SWMBO's Eastenders etc...

Thanks again. Pete.

• Like 1

Having got a bit bored with tracklaying and wiring, I whipped the MDF backscenes off last night for a coat of paint. The result is a bit "Vision On" (remember that?) but in my mind it's a passable cloudy British sky. A coat of cheap primer was followed by 2 roller coats of a cheap Homebase emulsion (a couple of tester pots of "Pale Duck Egg"). Having butchered an old car sponge, white emulsion was sponged and brushed on then stippled, adding different shades of grey. There's even some Humbrol rust weathering powder in there somewhere! I usually get in a mess trying to paste ready made backcenes onto MDF or ply, so was determined to have a go myself this time. It's OK, not great, but I'm glad I gave it a go.

My wife asked me last night where the trains are supposed to go? I've completely forgotten to build a fiddle yard for the right hand end, so that will be another job for later this week. Total layout size will be 14ft (4ft + 4ft + 6ft) by 2ft. Pete.

post-17811-0-79144100-1382443140_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-27609000-1382443148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete_S
  • Like 15

Its coming along very nicely indeed, however, (and I hope you don't think this is bad or negative criticism), I have reservations about the retaining wall on the higher levels, given that the layout is based on London. It looks like a heavy stone wall painted in red brick. The retaining walls in the cutting look the part, but personally, I'm not sure about the heavily set top wall. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

And welcome it is too. I have to agree. The low retaining walls are a plaster-cast ebay purchase. Sold as "brick", they are, to say the least, overscale. On a budget, and not wanting to brick-paper EVERYTHING, I thought they'd add a little relief. I have my misgivings too, but they'll have to stay. Hopefully as the layout progresses, the eye won't linger too long on what surely won't be the only mistake! I do wish I had the time and patience to scratchbuild everything, but as with most of my layouts, this is a relative quickie and it certainly won't be my life's work. As I get older, I may end up with a motorcycle and a supermodel mistress (only joking) so railway modelling may take a back seat to life's other pleasures.

Seriously mate, any form of critical observation is welcome, it only serves to make us try harder! Best, Pete.

• Like 1

And welcome it is too. I have to agree. The low retaining walls are a plaster-cast ebay purchase. Sold as "brick", they are, to say the least, overscale. On a budget, and not wanting to brick-paper EVERYTHING, I thought they'd add a little relief. I have my misgivings too, but they'll have to stay. Hopefully as the layout progresses, the eye won't linger too long on what surely won't be the only mistake! I do wish I had the time and patience to scratchbuild everything, but as with most of my layouts, this is a relative quickie and it certainly won't be my life's work. As I get older, I may end up with a motorcycle and a supermodel mistress (only joking) so railway modelling may take a back seat to life's other pleasures.

Seriously mate, any form of critical observation is welcome, it only serves to make us try harder! Best, Pete.

I reckon if you darken it down with some Humbrol dark earth and a dust of matt black over the top, it'll look OK.

Agreed - don't think the semi-scenic section is finished. I want to go to town on the scrubby wasteland look and lots of extra detail, but not while I'm still likely to need to stretch across and damage everything! Thank God the backscenes pop off, so I can do most of the work on the high level from the back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally finished the tracklaying, wiring and testing (which is far from a favourite job). Fiddle yard has been *roughly* constructed just to allow testing but still needs work, especially with regards to alignment.

I've begun the tedious job of ballasting but I'm wondering whether it would make sense to construct the platforms first? At ther moment, I've laid masking tape approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the edge of the sleepers. The intention was to finish ballasting and weathering the track, and then construct the platforms. I've already cut a template for the platforms to take account of the slight reverse curve to the edge of what will become platform 2. Any scenic gap between the trackside ballast and platform edge could be filled afterwards. I think I may leave the ballasting until after the platforms are in place.

Another snag that I've had to address was how the passengers from the LT branch bay platform were supposed to get 15 feet down from platform to street level. There's not much room for stairs so I've used a"kickback" ramp as seen in the pictures. I think this looks pretty effective. The balustrading is overscale but I think in general it looks ok.

post-17811-0-82464700-1383401586_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-94281900-1383401587_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-36917200-1383401589_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Having taken a look at the above pics, I must go into my little camera's menu and find "factory reset" if it exists. The pictures are far from clear, sorry about that. It may only be a compact camera, but earlier pictures seem much clearer. It may have something to do with the backscene blocking most of the natural light from the large window.

Oops. I've just had one of those classic "one step forwards, two steps back" moments with Lots Rd.

My own stupid fault. I'd finished the high level ballasting and weathering so thought it about time to cut the rails over the baseboard joints and go for a trial separation. The cutting disc in the mini drill went through like a hot knife through butter. All I did was go through the rails - I didn't go through the sleeper webs. As I eased the boards apart, I managed to pull up around 12" of track on all 3 platform roads either side of the join. The air was truly blue. I didn't use copperclad at the joins as Lots Rd is not intended to be split very often if at all. Valuable lesson learnt.

Quite a mess at the moment and I'm gonna have a bit of time off from it!

Pete.

Oops. I've just had one of those classic "one step forwards, two steps back" moments with Lots Rd.

My own stupid fault. I'd finished the high level ballasting and weathering so thought it about time to cut the rails over the baseboard joints and go for a trial separation. The cutting disc in the mini drill went through like a hot knife through butter. All I did was go through the rails - I didn't go through the sleeper webs. As I eased the boards apart, I managed to pull up around 12" of track on all 3 platform roads either side of the join. The air was truly blue. I didn't use copperclad at the joins as Lots Rd is not intended to be split very often if at all. Valuable lesson learnt.

Quite a mess at the moment and I'm gonna have a bit of time off from it!

Pete.

Panic not.....think we've all done similar things!!

Yeah, it's not the end of the world and won't take too long to fix - it was just incredibly annoying... :no2:

As you say best Idea to take a rest from it, I did a similar thing a good few years ago and had to pull out of an exhibition commitment as a result. Pride was hurt more than the layout.

Thanks guys. It was just a minor stupid mishap. Worse things happen at sea and nobody died... I should really add it to the "Why are railway modellers so clumsy?" thread but I'm sure it's already in there somewhere! I'll have a couple of weeks off - it might give me a chance to get the dining room finished and a bathroom plumbed in - my wife will be delighted...

Yeah, it's not the end of the world and won't take too long to fix - it was just incredibly annoyinL

Luckily it didn't involve fingers or any other appendage.  At least you didn't knock a tin of gloss paint all over a set of points and associated point motor the night before the exhibition.  Another howler was to use a couple of decking screws as 'belt and braces' securing after the boards were clamped together.  Piece of cake with my new electric screwdriver.  All well until I came to take them out on the Sunday afternoon.  Would the come out, they started to move, then the bit of screw that was in fresh air turned into a serpent as the rest of the screw jammed.  As you say more oaths etc.

• 2 months later...

Inexplicably, I just found this from idly looking at your signature on another thread (eBay moral dilemma...).  I love the kickback ramp, that has a very Shoreditch look about it (Three Colts Corner footbridge*, along from GE19 on the line into Liverpool Street, to be precise).  

Loving it.

*Edit:  situated between Fleet Street Hill and Cheshire Street

Edited by 'CHARD

Inexplicably, I just found this from idly looking at your signature on another thread (eBay moral dilemma...).  I love the kickback ramp, that has a very Shoreditch look about it (Three Colts Corner footbridge*, along from GE19 on the line into Liverpool Street, to be precise). 

Thanks for that. If it has a London feel, I'll have done something right. Inspiration comes in many forms, and a big inspiration for this was the superb Sumatra Rd, but I know my own limitations and will not come close to the superb atmosphere achieved on that layout. Having said that, I do seem to be knocking out a fair number of quick builds lately with the sole intention of improving skills. One day when I convince my wife that we really must buy that house with the huge cellar/loft/workshop, I might be able to build a permanent layout without too many mistakes! Another skill that I'd like to improve is scratchbuilt buildings. Ready-to-plant resin and card kits aren't really rocking my boat at the moment. Lots Rd is on the back-burner for now while I get a door-sized N gauge layout out of my system. I'm 46 with the attention span of a twelve yr-old but it will get finished!

• 6 months later...

Lots Road lives on!!!!

Hi everyone I would like to introduce myself as the new owner of lots road.

Earlier in the year I purchased the layout and it has taken me until now to actually get it set up due to lots of other things going on in life and I have had less time for modeling. The layout is now set up in my loft and I am working on plans for continuing the layout to a slightly different plan that suits me better. For now here are some photos(quick ones taken on my phone so apologies for the quality) of the layout set up in my loft and the first rtr and kitbuilt tube stock that came to hand just to see how it looked though I have quite a bit more stock to play with once the layout is working.

post-18845-0-48355000-1407252646_thumb.jpg

post-18845-0-81850400-1407252662_thumb.jpg

post-18845-0-25688300-1407252676_thumb.jpg

post-18845-0-45700900-1407252686_thumb.jpg

So after a journey across the country and a long while sitting around the layout is now standing again and I will be updating this thread with the plans and progress.

OliverSR

• Like 9