A new motor and wheels will be part of this project. I dont like struggling locos either.

Especially as this is a freightliner loco it could in future have some big loads!

14mm black beetle wheelsets will come out of warm store, the wheelshop have been briefed!

Ian

oh i think actually detailing the model wouldn't be too bad, but i don't think i'd be able to paint it to any reasonable standard. but my biggest issue would be haulage capacity i think - i'd want it to pull a full rake of Mk3s or Mk4s

Never knew the real 90's had a switch on the roof! So it was out with the pliers and it was gone..

A strip of plasticard was superglued in the gap and a little filler added and still to be smoothed.

You know im enjoying this..

post-7587-0-79723500-1369844126.jpg

Ian

Never knew the real 90's had a switch on the roof! So it was out with the pliers and it was gone..

A strip of plasticard was superglued in the gap and a little filler added and still to be smoothed.

You know im enjoying this..

attachicon.gif1369844106616.jpg

Ian

I believe the switch was used so that model could be used in two modes i.e. collecting power from the OHE (which Hornby used to have) or from the tracks. According to Hornby you could double-head a train with one loco using the power from the tracks and the other using the OHE. It's funny that even though now none of the Hornby electrics have the capability to use the OHE the switch is still in place.

All modellers like you use plasticard and filler....

Their 86 had same arrangement, considering. I would wonder how many people actually ever powered their sparky like that.

Not sure about the 91 the 92 didnt.

I believe the switch was used so that model could be used in two modes i.e. collecting power from the OHE (which Hornby used to have) or from the tracks.

Their 86 had same arrangement, considering. I would wonder how many people actually ever powered their sparky like that.

From images that I saw of what OHE Hornby used to offer, I can say that like the pantographs they were certainly far from correct. So I am sure few used it.

The Class 92 has always had a better and more realistic pantograph. I find it a good representation apart from it's height and its curved upper arm. The Class 87s made by Hornby have a better pantograph. However Ian if you will allow me to make a suggestion then try and get hold of a cheap ''Pendolino coach'' which has the pantograph on it - it's the most highly detail Breknell-Willis version I've seen till date. It will compliment the kit beautifully.

Regarding the Class 91. Yes, it did have that fascility as many pictures show the roof with that switch. The APT also had a working pantograph like the Class 86, 90 and 91.

Image of the Pendolino Pantograph.

post-15929-0-57554700-1369911860.jpg

The Hornby wires, werent tooled AFAIK for the 86, it was a reissue from years back. Very much from a trainset brief. It was only offered in very short bursts, which has been the crux even really to this day of there being no RTR comolete range of OHLE (Yet!)

As regards the pantograpgh, its a case of watch this and or other places too for developments, very tight lipped yet!

Ian

i just wish that Hurst models would re-release their pantographs. i need at least 4 of them 

The hurst pantographs haven't been in stock for over a year. Maybe even two.... Very frustrating for someone who really needs just one.

The Hornby wires, werent tooled AFAIK for the 86, it was a reissue from years back. Very much from a trainset brief. It was only offered in very short bursts, which has been the crux even really to this day of there being no RTR comolete range of OHLE (Yet!)

As regards the pantograpgh, its a case of watch this and or other places too for developments, very tight lipped yet!

Ian

I heard that Dapol were making wires for their OHE system but their catenary system look flimsy from images and there doesn't seem to be any place to hook on the wires. If I were to opt for catenary they I'll go for the ''Hornby International'' ones http://www.hornbyinternational.com/en/catenary/2504-catenary-mast-10-units.html

. Though not accurate many say it resembles the ones used on the HS1 route.

Lets us all not forget, the people who supply us our plethora of virtually individually produced parts, whilst there have been many advances in production processes, cottage industry and its unique approach remain key to our love and desire to produce that ever elusive finescale improved and or created model.

Our many innovators, start not from the perspective of seeing pound signs but a genuine and real need to see their product used by fellow improvists. If a few £££ come their way whilst providing us with our latest must have, good on them. I think some lose focus or just are not aware of the processes involved, then becomes sacrosanct.

Lost wax casting is a skill, done to a high standard that isnt common place. Hurst im sure would love to fulfill our instant need and gratification, if that was physically and practically possible to provide for pantographs. Pantographs as with OHLE is a niche (but one that needn't be elitist) and diverse market. I am grateful for the few manufacturers who wish to supply us any quality and exact parts

I am more than happy in the not too distant future, I am likely to receive what would look to be a stunning product...watch this space

I did!  As a kid I had 86246 and it used to run on a circle of Trix Twin overhead catenary on my dads layout.  It did bring the wires down a few times though!

Hope to add a few more elements of detail to these pair and get them back onto the underframe.

post-7587-0-32818000-1370299394.jpg

Main job will be the brackets, not represented by Hornby in their flattened but well detailed version.

Should be a simple job, few very small bits of Evergreen.

A little experiment....

post-7587-0-23709000-1370789549.jpg

It was out with .55mm drill to see if removing the filled detail would improve anything...what do people think?

post-7587-0-40560800-1370789562.jpg

Also gone is a rectangle of plastic which on the prototype is a pot under the pantograph.

This session was rudely interrupted by the bit going ping. Need to source more .55 bits!

Archived