Hi Ash,

Its an odd thing, it needs a clean up of rag underneath,  but it looks worse than it is, the contrast is the spray top coat and the black moulded body.

The next thing to be aware of is the one nearest the pantograph has a moulded screw fixing internally which needs chopping out to aid smoother quicker drilling and thus avoiding any snagging of small bits. Have to add the one that went ping had had a drop and wasnt that true! 

So time wise, not sure really, i used one of my archimedes drills so going through one of the 200 normal depth holes about five seconds each, cant say I just sat and went at it though! But then I didnt take an age either, the moulded hole helped with alignment and was a easy job to just get on with....so wasnt toooo bad!

Under a bit of weathering that will look spot on - really good stuff. Go on then, how long did it take??

Hi Colin,

Fortunately the moulding is square at the top, but tapered ending virtually round at the bottom self aligning deconstructive drilling, which allows even with it in front me now as having a slight trick of the eye.

I was thinking about bout using a square taper broach, you can go to far sometimes!

And fingers are a little polished but ok ta! :)

Ian

Right the new exciting bits are paid for and will be winging their way on their short trip very soon!

A trip North tomorrow to my Mum's will allow the Northen Fisher 4mm SR to be raided and expect to see a Heljan 35 coming back south.

This will be being gutted and its gear train, motor etc will be used in the 90! Think mazak is best avoided....

Having had a look at the removed Heljan chassis block, I am going to have to review its use in this project.

To transplant it into the 90 would require some major carving and cutting. This would also reduce the useful bulk. I was thinking that it may just have been a quick job to chop the block and lengthen it for the 90.

So it looks like the Hornby chassis is going to be beefed up to allow as much liquid lead to be incorporated into the body and chassis as possible, leaving the Heljan block for use in other projects.

With a decoder and a lighting loom to squueze in another approach will be developed.

Hi Charlie,

Width is ok, you would then have to work out how you can afix the plastic flexicoil suspension to the chassis.

The main issue is the height, yes it does fit but try and get extra gubbins in there and there simply ain't the room.

It just seems a shame to chop up Heljan's chassis to lengthen it, only to further have to butcher it. Bachmann's warship chassis does fit but has its issues.

I am just trying to look how the structure of the hymek chassis block can be copied and adapted to suit.

I had to really carve up a Vi 47 chassis to fit it in my 92. You say it's a shame to butcher it, but you won't see it once it's done either way, so would it matter. The superior pulling power and smoothness will make the effort worth it.

My 92;

92b.jpg

92a.jpg

Hope this helps

Can you tell what it is yet?

post-7587-0-36923200-1371553775.jpg

Yep my parcel arrived today. I understand the aim is to have these cast in a metal.

They come as extremely clean castings courtesy of PH Designs. Just need some nickel silver wire now...

Making a start to remove the detail from the casting. It really is a job to be tackled in good light, with a steady hand, the webbing on the is very thin, but less is definitely more.

post-7587-0-94208800-1371591770.jpg

I am tackling this by making a cut or hole away from the needed bit of the casting to protect the needed part.

The larger holes being opened up with a drill reamer, purchased years ago from Squires and very useful its prooven over the years!

Very impressed with the detail.

post-7587-0-93552200-1371592615.jpg

Bit of chain drilling with to get an idea of scale thats a 0.8mm drill bit! Start in the middle and work around the area.

keeping a close eye on this, got a few 90s my self and as for the pantograph think pete is on to a winner with that one, I know a lot of people me included hate the Hornby ones. just a shame the model of 91110 has the old one on it! :resent:

Nice and steady little bit more sprue being pared away, which isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

A lot of thought has gone into how the parts have been supported.

post-7587-0-76388000-1372197087.jpg

post-7587-0-18362200-1372197695.jpg

Other half gone..just a tidy up needed! Simple innit?!

post-7587-0-48233900-1372199389.jpg

That is all for tonight a moth just invaded the living room...they dont bother me but really upset someone else...this is one to take time and care with..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived