Castle Trains Warwick

37pits

My experience last year of this shop was via telephone mail order. I phoned up enquiring about a couple of Bachmann special commission wagons they had commissioned themselves that were advertised on their website and that I had seen in their advert in a magazine. I don't take kindly to being told they would only sell them for £30+ despite their adverts stating prices of £8.99 IIRC. I decided then that they didn't really have an attitude that I wanted to do business with. Never been back.

Update: After almost two weeks of calling and sending emails with no reply I finally managed to get through to Mark, the Manager. Apparently they are in the process of moving and he has been focusing his energies on the move (and not on the customers evidently) and as a result of this they have let a lot of staff go. 

If this is to be believed then the rather offensive shop assistant can be almost understood, although I am at a complete loss as to why he was fired. What is completely inexcusable is a complete lack of contact and not checking emails for two weeks. 

The refund should be back in my account by Monday but I don't have my expectations set too highly.  

• RMweb Gold

Update: After almost two weeks of calling and sending emails with no reply I finally managed to get through to Mark, the Manager. Apparently they are in the process of moving and he has been focusing his energies on the move (and not on the customers evidently) and as a result of this they have let a lot of staff go. 

If this is to be believed then the rather offensive shop assistant can be almost understood, although I am at a complete loss as to why he was fired. What is completely inexcusable is a complete lack of contact and not checking emails for two weeks. 

The refund should be back in my account by Monday but I don't have my expectations set too highly.  

I know the owners have another shop,Avon Toys, in Leamington so perhaps they're merging or concentrating on this one.

• 1 month later...

Was hoping to go into Castle Trains today to get some plastic trees for my trainset, and they've got up and left obviously in quite a hurry. It looks like someone has looted the shop. Anyway I'm not surprised as they provided awful service both to there customers and there staff. I think they merged with there other shop Avon Toys in Leamington, anyway I will avoid it like the plague as the owners clearly have no business sense.

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that they have merged with Avon toys in Leamington Spa I popped in on the off chance of seeing what they have in stock and I can say that trying to sell secondhand Bachmann buildings that have clearly seen better days as brand new items and the prices for the locomotives and rolling stock are well over the RRP by about £10-£15 has certainly put me off from visiting the store again>

yes they are moving (the shop front looks to have been stripped bare), i will find out where to or who with tomorrow but a move doesnt explain away why there have been these problems since this thread was started in 2009. 

The bad experiences may go back further, but why?  

• 3 months later...

I went to Avon Toys today and the shop was locked up. A chance meeting with a member of staff (who is now out of a job) confirmed that Avon Toys/ Castle Trains are no longer trading. 

Classic Trains and Model Bus are now the only proper model shop in Leamington/Warwick. Lets hope that trade increases at CTMB and the area continues to have a model shop. 

Graham

If they are no longer trading, then their website is still active. Indeed, I placed an order with them on the 5th August and have been charged for this. The item has not appeared and this may explain why they have not responded to my emails or answered the phone (they list two different numbers on the website!).

I think I need to speak to my debit card issuer and have contacted trading standards...

Incidentally, I was not aware of this thread and the issues others have had with this 'company'. had I have known, I would have stayed well clear!

• 3 weeks later...

If they are no longer trading, then their website is still active. Indeed, I placed an order with them on the 5th August and have been charged for this. The item has not appeared and this may explain why they have not responded to my emails or answered the phone (they list two different numbers on the website!).

I think I need to speak to my debit card issuer and have contacted trading standards...

Incidentally, I was not aware of this thread and the issues others have had with this 'company'. had I have known, I would have stayed well clear!

OMG!!! I placed an order on the 3 August, never got anything from them!!! But the items are already payed! Was so happy to find a Class 25/2 w/sound... and now I read all this stories... :butcher:

I definitely will buy my stuff just at Olivias, Kernow and Hattons in the future, never had a problem with them.

• 5 weeks later...

What all the comments about this mess show is that you should only deal with companies you can trus and preferably local to you even if you intend to buy via the web. My local company Modellers Mecca has never let me down if on a rare occasion the item is not physically in stock you always receive a full refund and usually a note of apology from the boss Lucy Pitch. The moral also seems to be that If an offer seems to good to be true it probably is.

Archived