Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I noticed yesterday the old layout pictures got several likes....so I went searching for some hopefully not too naff old pictures.

the odd loco might even appear....and in lieu of shops a burger wagon and an old RAC recruitment centre

FGW purple coaches....

med_gallery_17883_3051_189169.jpgrmweb1002oldgoathland1

• Like 3

FGW purple coaches....

You're going to tell me you have a class 166 up there too.  No need to call for PC Bellamy if I work out where you live and they disappear ;)

On serious note I have found a brand new Bachmann Class 166 for sale.  It's far less than a second had one would be on eBay, it's just I still can't afford or really justify it.  It's also a long, long way away although I may have a contact who would pick it up for me...

Class 66

Amazing the details you find when doing some research, I didn't know there were so many difference even within one sub class.

Just within the 66/7 I find that the lighting on 66701-707 is different to to the later loco's although 66731 seems to have the same lighting and then 66730 has a completely different  light set again.

Add to that that some have five doors and some have 4, not fully worked out which is which yet, but it seems it can be a mine field, resprays and renumbers are just the half of it.

Edited by Kal

Class 66

Amazing the details you find when doing some research, I didn't know there were so many difference even within one sub class.

Just within the 66/7 I find that the lighting on 66701-707 is different to to the later loco's although 66731 seems to have the same lighting and then 66730 has a completely different  light set again.

Add to that that some have five doors and some have 4, not fully worked out which is which yet, but it seems it can be a mine field, resprays and renumbers are just the half of it.

I think the low emission 66 has the extra door.

Edit as couldn't spell emission!

Edited by bagpipes331

I am afraid my FGW HST got "Wand" -er -lost   .............    :scratchhead:

9999844323_7bb2b44efa_c.jpg
Test Loop 4 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

..........    truthfully - shot taken whilst trying to solve a constant derailment problem - thankfully now managed  .......   :sungum:

the problem was raised Tension Locks on the errant coach in the siding  ....   which now has nice new Bogies, with the Locks at the right height  .....

• Like 4

For 2 x ex- Pongos Soldiers, you are remarkably unobservant.  The miss-alignment should have triggered off a thought about "Why?"   ..........    :jester:  :jester:

there are an additional 4 x ST238 - 33.84"  radius - 11.250 angle curves leading into the 19.88" radius curves as an means of easement into the bend  ..........      :acute:

Hmmm, yes i felt an easement coming on too!.  Blooming Crabs, if it ai'nt broke........   :crazy:  I could tell you some stories about Support Helicopter Force, boy can you brylcream bashers break stuff!

Edited by Kal

Yeah and fly so low over the roof tops they rattle!!!!! No wonder the farmers claim for mis-carriages on their sheep!!!!!!

And looking out to find a bedford floating over your roof top can be rather unnerving.....especially when there is a big empty green only 50 feet away!!!!!!

My only experience IN a helicopter was at Blackpool at the pier end.....and for someone who won't walk over the clear floor in the tower......I was like.....searching in my purse......did I have enough money for another go!!!!! Ye....haaaah!!!!!

Being driven in a BV was much more unsettling on my stomach!!!!!!!

edit = 

Welcome to AV Bagpipes331.....as you would find ig you read our thread....we suffer from clumsiness here too.   :no:

Edited by Jaz

Flaming paramilitary wing of EasyJet ;)

Edit to add:

I may have spun this dit before, but pull up a bollard.  When the FBU went on strike in the early-mid 2000s (about 2004 IIRC) I was a Staff Officer in a Headquarters runnign Op FRESCO ZULU II which was the military's response.  

As part of this I had to visit many RAF stations to meet Liaison Officers who would help translate the ways of the Rude and Licentious Soldiery to the delicate flowers in light blue, and explain how I was supposed to call someone one rank up from me "Sir" when everyone below me, even the most junior Propellor, would expect to call me "mate" or by my first name.  

It rankled less that Propellor Snooks wanted to call me "mate" than being expected to call various Herberts who would not be admitted to my Club except to deliver the milk "Sir". When I joined my Regiment it was explained that no Skin had ever met anyone worthy of this title - for goodness sake I used to call HRHThe Prince of Wales "Colonel".

Anyway, I digress.  My Liaison Officer at one camp was a blonde Schoolie straight out of central casting from a Second World War movie in that she was rather fond of flashing her stocking tops at me in meetings...

Edited by C&WR

• RMweb Premium

Class 66

The GBRf 66/7's probably have the most detail changes and repainting!

The original orders are easy to trace - There are three main variants of GB ordered locos.

Off the top of my head - The first batch are similar to the EWS locos with Wipac rectangular lights, second batch with the "bug-eye" lights. third batch with 5 doors and lights similar to the original Wipac, but with a combined tail/marker)

It's when they started getting previously owned/operated locos that it gets sticky..... 66733 upwards -  Some ex Freightliner, some ex DRS/Advenza/Colas, some ex-Euro spec (have a look at 66747-66751)

This is 66744 in Colas colours but as pictured, recently transferred to GBRf (it is now in standard GBRF colours) It was originally DRS 66408, later Advenza 66843, then Colas 66843, renumbered 66744 in Colas colours and now GBRf blue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47745602@N06/6442533405/in/photolist-aPiEJa-cr59Q7-cr58Xm-efJ5NQ-d9Tg3S-e942Pe-dq8QL5-jLFiLQ-dxHhEX-bB8XUv-bFafqi-awhyp6-asRD3a-fAtjjP-dq8EGD-dxHhuV-bCVSY6-dq9fER-d9WouK-bu8Wy2-dYKxty-dNNphS-dq8Nby-ea7GL5-bkqimS-izn87d-cr59ey-bxJucy-d8LeDE-aF9J3m-e9MbbC-aK5uTi-dsaBuk-c3EJro-aF9HZh-c3EJxo-io2UXt-fBy5MR-dqQWdo-c3EJk3-cTEyfm-bbW9RF-aGo5ZX-eytWr3-dHZJ1d-io2Ybo-d8LfRU-bvpPQ8-bvpPJp-djvPLa-ciPxTy

Here's 66741 (ex-Freightliner 66581)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16609158@N05/8002742268/in/photolist-dcb9sY-anMyZX-cKfUZU-edkcHX-a51rnw-9Y4gcq-9PyDSp-b3bP9i-fAvpym-cfNPZf-eKVQrG-jUMzVo-jUMZvQ-cJjfTW-jUMMXj-eKJgmH-bSgM28-jp1XVE-a9tMXb-kEXTSS-d7JQgU-e8Cqow-eKBrR8-eKNSuC-eKNRPY-fQrsy3-djwjE6-g4kogc-fSpwqM-bjuALM-bjuAG6-aAH9vo-dXLsvN-fCxUs1-bxijRx-dSrtoH-dt17fL-eH68Wv-eH68RV-eKjwfZ-dZKz1E-fTm6t3-bjDLmV-e98zjK-eb7ot2-9ZTiFQ-azhzwL-azeVWH-dS9k5X-fNnm7T-fHjgBB

Here's a list of renumbered locos: (Ta to Si on the DEMU forum for posting the list)

66733 ex 66401

66734 ex 66402

66735 ex 66403

66736 ex 66404

66737 ex 66405

66738 ex 66578

66739 ex 66579

66740 ex 66580

66741 ex 66581

66742 ex 66406, 66841

66743 ex 66407, 66842

66744 ex 66408, 66843

66745 ex 66409, 66844

66746 ex 66410, 66845

66747-751 were originally delivered into Europe and since altered for UK use. And then there's a new batch currently been built in the US for GBRf - these will be the last 66's built.

Hope this confuses helps!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Flaming paramilitary wing of EasyJet ;)

Edit to add:

I may have spun this dit before, but pull up a bollard.  When the FBU went on strike in the early-mid 2000s (about 2004 IIRC) I was a Staff Officer in a Headquarters runnign Op FRESCO ZULU II which was the military's response.  

As part of this I had to visit many RAF stations to meet Liaison Officers who would help translate the ways of the Rude and Licentious Soldiery to the delicate flowers in light blue, and explain how I was supposed to call someone one rank up from me "Sir" when everyone below me, even the most junior Propellor, would expect to call me "mate" or by my first name.  

It rankled less that Propellor Snooks wanted to call me "mate" than being expected to call various Herberts who would not be admitted to my Club except to deliver the milk "Sir". When I joined my Regiment it was explained that no Skin had ever met anyone worthy of this title - for goodness sake I used to call HRHThe Prince of Wales "Colonel".

Anyway, I digress.  My Liaison Officer at one camp was a blonde Schoolie straight out of central casting from a Second World War movie in that she was rather fond of flashing her stocking tops at me in meetings...

Yeah and I bet you shut your eyes tight....every time she did it..... :P

is that all?  I 

The GBRf 66/7's probably have the most detail changes and repainting!

The original orders are easy to trace - There are three main variants of GB ordered locos.

Off the top of my head - The first batch are similar to the EWS locos with Wipac rectangular lights, second batch with the "bug-eye" lights. third batch with 5 doors and lights similar to the original Wipac, but with a combined tail/marker)

It's when they started getting previously owned/operated locos that it gets sticky..... 66733 upwards -  Some ex Freightliner, some ex DRS/Advenza/Colas, some ex-Euro spec (have a look at 66747-66751)

This is 66744 in Colas colours but as pictured, recently transferred to GBRf (it is now in standard GBRF colours) It was originally DRS 66408, later Advenza 66843, then Colas 66843, renumbered 66744 in Colas colours and now GBRf blue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47745602@N06/6442533405/in/photolist-aPiEJa-cr59Q7-cr58Xm-efJ5NQ-d9Tg3S-e942Pe-dq8QL5-jLFiLQ-dxHhEX-bB8XUv-bFafqi-awhyp6-asRD3a-fAtjjP-dq8EGD-dxHhuV-bCVSY6-dq9fER-d9WouK-bu8Wy2-dYKxty-dNNphS-dq8Nby-ea7GL5-bkqimS-izn87d-cr59ey-bxJucy-d8LeDE-aF9J3m-e9MbbC-aK5uTi-dsaBuk-c3EJro-aF9HZh-c3EJxo-io2UXt-fBy5MR-dqQWdo-c3EJk3-cTEyfm-bbW9RF-aGo5ZX-eytWr3-dHZJ1d-io2Ybo-d8LfRU-bvpPQ8-bvpPJp-djvPLa-ciPxTy

Here's 66741 (ex-Freightliner 66581)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16609158@N05/8002742268/in/photolist-dcb9sY-anMyZX-cKfUZU-edkcHX-a51rnw-9Y4gcq-9PyDSp-b3bP9i-fAvpym-cfNPZf-eKVQrG-jUMzVo-jUMZvQ-cJjfTW-jUMMXj-eKJgmH-bSgM28-jp1XVE-a9tMXb-kEXTSS-d7JQgU-e8Cqow-eKBrR8-eKNSuC-eKNRPY-fQrsy3-djwjE6-g4kogc-fSpwqM-bjuALM-bjuAG6-aAH9vo-dXLsvN-fCxUs1-bxijRx-dSrtoH-dt17fL-eH68Wv-eH68RV-eKjwfZ-dZKz1E-fTm6t3-bjDLmV-e98zjK-eb7ot2-9ZTiFQ-azhzwL-azeVWH-dS9k5X-fNnm7T-fHjgBB

Here's a list of renumbered locos:

66733 ex 66401
66734 ex 66402
66735 ex 66403
66736 ex 66404
66737 ex 66405
66738 ex 66578
66739 ex 66579
66740 ex 66580
66741 ex 66581
66742 ex 66406, 66841
66743 ex 66407, 66842
66744 ex 66408, 66843
66745 ex 66409, 66844
66746 ex 66410, 66845

66747-751 were originally delivered into Europe and since altered for UK use. And then there's a new batch currently been built in the US for GBRf - these will be the last 66's built.

Hope this confuses helps!

Cheers,

Mick

Is that all? I thought this would be a mine field :scared:

Thanks Mick very useful

OMG OMG OMG

I just got a notice about Hattons Charging me for a loco I pre ordered and had pretty much forgotten. I ordered it back in March 2011.

Best of all though they are charging me at a the original price, NICE ONE Hattons, that is loyalty to the customer.

• RMweb Premium

is that all?  I 

Is that all? I thought this would be a mine field :scared:

Thanks Mick very useful

We haven't covered the EWS/DBS, Freightliner, Advenza, DRS, Colas fleets yet............ The most comprehensive listing I've seen is that compiled by Martyn Read on the DEMu forum and published in the society magazine Update. However - Martyn is also a regular contributor to RMweb........ so all is not lost.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

What!!!   ...............................     :O  :O

Flaming paramilitary wing of EasyJet

Can't knock it on those grounds   .......................   totally unfair   ..........................................................................................   Easy Jet put the fear of God into far more people's lives than either your or I could possibly do    ............  :sarcastic:

Who said it did anything Military     .......................    apart from providing an expensive bus service to save PBI from having to Tab quite so far   ........................    

AND what is more   ............................      

the farmers claim for mis-carriages on their sheep!!!!!!

the Farmers shouldn't have carriages on their sheep anyway    ........   

and   .........................................

Yeah and fly so low over the roof tops they rattle!!!!!

Eh  .......................................................................     wh..      ................................................................   bu.    .......................   what do you mean  ....   are you saying some of them fly high enough to go over bungalows?

NB.  Might I remind you of the Regs which clearly state maximum minimum heights for Low-flying, state that 15ft 150ft is the minimum over rural areas   .........   :crazy:

SSssssshhhhhhhhhhhh   .......   did have a flight or so over the North Pennines, where we had to lift up over the dry stone walls   ...............      

I also nearly had to apply for membership of the Bar Hill Golf Club for the Varsity I was meant to be flying      ............................     still in it      ................      as it tried to go in through the front door   .............     I can inform you of the colour of the door handles  ..  [and adrenaline!!]

.....................    I make no further comment about such examples, as Courts Martial are not comfortable areas to be in   .......    :fie:

We haven't covered the EWS/DBS, Freightliner, Advenza, DRS, Colas fleets yet............ The most comprehensive listing I've seen is that compiled by Martyn Read on the DEMu forum and published in the society magazine Update. However - Martyn is also a regular contributor to RMweb........ so all is not lost.

Cheers,

Mick

I am a DEMU member, The Modern Loco illustrated contains some good info too, but not collated in the way you just did.

• RMweb Premium

I am a DEMU member, The Modern Loco illustrated contains some good info too, but not collated in the way you just did.

PM sent with link on DEMU forum.

Cheers,

Mick

Eeerrrr    ........................

So have you ever rolled a helicopter?

......    now THAT would be really exciting   ...........  :yes:  :imsohappy:  :yes:

Having said that I did roll a Radio Control one a couple of times    ..............    but not out of intent  ...   it was gyrating out of control as it crashed  ....   :dontknow:

OMG only one picture of AV....cant have that

I remember putting this old picture of the farm up on our old forum, and getting lambasted ........

med_gallery_17883_3051_475721.jpgrmweb997oldheartbeat1

for what you ask?......

The poor painting of the sky? The naff grass in the front? Nope I was advised by several nit pickers that the ladder was so not prototypical and should be in the bin!!!!!

Needless to say, you could argue they were right.......But it still pops up now and again........

med_gallery_17883_3051_241426.jpgrmweb998oldheartbeat2

med_gallery_17883_3051_43576.jpgrmweb100oldheartbeat3

med_gallery_17883_3051_711340.jpgrmweb999oldheartbeat3

And it's new home

med_gallery_17883_3001_446550.jpgrmweb562terraformng88

ok back to current events.... :angel:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think the sky is one of the best I've seen. It really gives a lot of atmosphere.

It's the chap in the third picture doing his morning press ups on the Morris that I noticed!  You don't very often see that modeled. :jester:

Edited by Sasquatch