Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

the white line is atrocious, but the shiny sides continue to dull down nicely, a number of the sleeper appear a bit high....but after checking various Railway magazines for pictures of the real thing...that actually happens a lot. So I am in no mad rush to top the ballast up. Although a number of fill jobs where the platform edge meets the ballast floor needed filling in as there were gaps. Although I notice there is a lot of pictures where the ballast between the rails is much darker than other ballast in the vicinity

med_gallery_17883_2760_459730.jpgrmweb2041kalboro34

The ballast between the tracks is often a lot dirtier than the ballast nearby

med_gallery_17883_3106_218065.jpgrmweb539peterborough4

med_gallery_17883_3106_679903.jpgrmweb553peterborough44

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

...  and when he took her upstairs to his attic, and revealed his sorid pleasures, she squealed with unbridled joy:..................

He thought he had gone to Heaven when she slowly turned towards him and  ..........................

......................   shamelessly  .................

revealed her   ......................

best secret yet   ..................

........................    her pair of  .......................  twin  .... 

14427069286_05555c7823_c.jpg

Pair of Peaks by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 1

on our layout, these platforms have the tapered ends, the ones at Peterborough were tapered originally because at one time passengers walked down the slope to cross the tracks. But in the recent overhaul there are now a number of new platform ends sited on top of the old platform ends and they no longer slope.

med_gallery_17883_2760_432124.jpgrmweb2043kalboro36

med_gallery_17883_3106_487996.jpg

• Like 5

the 3 lanes at the back need a LOT of  work. Kal pointed out that you would never have the ladder at that angle much more upright, this whole area looks a bit messy, and in need of TLC. 

These tracks at the back being used less were painted more rusty...and am still pleased with that effect.

med_gallery_17883_2760_439889.jpgrmweb2042kalboro35

but otherwise there is a lot of work to do here......mostly  ballasting

just beyond Kalboro platforms.

med_gallery_17883_2760_37701.jpgrmweb2044kalboro37

• Like 4

I love how Jaz is completely ignoring the smut... :)

:angel: ....on the thread at least.....  :angel:

PMs on the other hand have fallen to a new low........  :jester: ........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

and a by product of the airbrushing..........some of the ballasting got blown away.......and not in a good way

plus Kal has some trouble finding a pro type for the mess on the platform sides....so if anyone is aware of ...or can produce pictures...it will save me hours scrapping off the bloop on the platform sides.

med_gallery_17883_2760_518613.jpgrmweb2045kalboro38

and an overview.........(don't forget the back of the new area where the art deco signal box sits is not a finished product...merely coloured so as to not stand out like a sore thumb.

med_gallery_17883_2760_484262.jpgrmweb2046kalboro39

repairing the blown ballast was not too difficult, and lowering the psi helped reduce further damage. thinning the paint also helped

And an old picture of Kalboro

med_gallery_17883_2760_1027954.jpgimg 1334

or two....with no ballast at all

med_gallery_17883_2760_1519639.jpgimg 1321

So there is no major changes, just improved (hope you agree) dressing

still loads more pictures to come.......

• Like 4

I shouldn't comment ............   

So there is no major changes, just improved (hope you agree) dressing.........

..................   I'm going before I do  ...........

........... still loads more pictures to come.......   

...........................................................        :swoon:

Back to the back of Kalboro.....

med_gallery_17883_2760_656910.jpgrmweb2068kalboro40

despite a light airbrushing whilst there was colour left....this area is raggedy to say the least

further along certain details attract the eye, but still as you look around it is in sad need of some work

med_gallery_17883_2760_625911.jpgrmweb2069kalboro41

and it occurred to me that Kal wanted to test out the concrete idea...and perhaps here at the back might be a safer place to have a go

med_gallery_17883_2760_135229.jpgrmweb2070kalboro42

first off should i attack the whole area? Or place safe and trial a patch?

med_gallery_17883_2760_206641.jpgrmweb2071kalboro43

I had a good look to decide where to start

med_gallery_17883_2760_501417.jpgrmweb2072kalboro44

and meantime more colour continued to remove the shine of the tracks

med_gallery_17883_2760_157254.jpgrmweb2073kalboro45

and I decided to leave the last platform. Because the Peterborough platforms are clearly not all the same....no continuity even on the refurbished areas.And I just thought the paler colour looked better in the background

So I decided that the area where the shed seats is probably the worst....Kal had mentioned this several times in the past

And a decision on just how far out to bring the concrete base

med_gallery_17883_2760_163104.jpgrmweb2075kalboro47

So a last view.....before removing the buildings and trackside detail

med_gallery_17883_2760_146628.jpgrmweb2076kalboro48

• Like 4

so finally ....no more teasing......the concrete base....

med_gallery_17883_2760_321944.jpgrmweb2077kalboro49

I used plaster filler from a tub and a spreader. Kal did mention I should have done the edges shaper.....but when you consider I will certainly extend it....this should make a join easier to sort.

it does go up at the back but a recolour there will sort that out

Once it started to dry....but was not actually dry I got out a pair of spare wheels and run them back wards and forwards in order to ensure I did not mess up the track. This area is due to have a pit ...but I believe cutting in should not be too difficult and wanted to tested the initial concrete idea. I thought bought a textured surface but felt it would not be easy to see at 1:76 so just went for as flat a finish as possible

once dried I popped the shed back on to see the initial effect

med_gallery_17883_2760_35340.jpgrmweb2978kalboro50

Ther'es enough room for the sander and the shed.

med_gallery_17883_2760_186283.jpgrmweb2079kalboro51

Kal has requested that I go past the crane when I add the next lot.

And you'll notice I topped up the ballast whilst it was drying.

• Like 8

Hi Jaz,

You might be applying a Concrete paint, but beware the Green Scene stuff, as it has quite large bits of texture in it, which seem OK for G gauge, but large for OO.

Railmatch seems better texture but [for me] the colour might do better with some of your skills.

• Like 1

Hi Jaz,

You might be applying a Concrete paint, but beware the Green Scene stuff, as it has quite large bits of texture in it, which seem OK for G gauge, but large for OO.

Railmatch seems better texture but [for me] the colour might do better with some of your skills.

I have been using the Railmatch concrete..... in general (IMO) it has a pleasing effect especially if overlaid an initial grey coloured item. I often touch up the area whilst wet, or before or after, with some water onto which I let some black or brown seep through so that it spreads naturally. The result appears more natural to me, and allows especially for rain fall and puddles and the subsequent distribution of dirt.

Edit = Also I know from observation that the Railmatch greeny tinge is realistic in as much as where my two female dobermanns pee on the stone patio, if it is not cleanly periodically we get a green tinge then a green growth. So I always think that that effect is fairly realistic. I can produce photographs ...if anyone wants proof... :jester:

Edit = I have to admit I have not tried the green scene product so cannot comment on it.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

A Cherry Picker, or scaffold,..ladder ?

cherry pickers....shudders.......

having had a bad experience with a cherry picker which involved the insurance we paid for not covering accidental damage (which was the reason we took it out in the first place!!!) and a whacking big bill for £800!!!! I steer clear of such items. If we had moved the cherry picker off our property and claimed some idiot had stolen it...damaged it....then abandoned it....we would have been covered.....needless to say NEVER bothered with the insurance again....as pretty useless if it does not cover accidental damaged.......

for those interested in the circumstances.......a rope attached to the top caught on a tree and unnoticed we lowered the cherry picker and bent the protection cage....to be honest thought the bill more than excessive but as they showed a bill for the work carried out we were in no position to argue. Lesson learned check what the insurance covers!!!!!

John @ Greenscenes, advised me to use a spatula, when applying,.........not a brush

can you link to a picture on your layout  with an example of its use? Would be interest to see the result. Am doing some work with 'concrete' at the moment.

And a nice loco to spice it up and check the tracks ok

med_gallery_17883_2760_584562.jpgrmweb2080kalboro52

med_gallery_17883_2760_141974.jpgrmweb2081kalboro53

med_gallery_17883_2760_397701.jpgrmweb2082kalboro54

you may notice I have removed the signal box up on the track behind and replaced it with a small line side building instead, the track there only has one point it adds a tack for some washer then joins back to the main track so a full-size signal box was not geographically correct and was overkill for just one additional line that rejoined in no time at all.

I have several track details ready to put laid down one the track is at a finished colour. Orange pipes and various signalling equipment detectors are all soon to be popped onto the layout.

• Like 4

Hi J 'n K,

Glad you're back. Almost performed a posting idiocy whilst suffering from AV withdrawal (posted but deleted)

Anyway, main problem (apart from the pitch-angle) with the ladder is it is grossly over-scale*: the *rounds* (rungs to the uninitiated) would be as thick as your arms. Also, a portable ladder this long would not exist without at least one - more likely two - extensions. Nobody could carry it, much less pitch it. This is one area where I can claim some expertise: as a Fireman I handled the damn things too often for my health.

*Many things you can get away with - I'm no rivet-counter - but not with ladders, especially portable ones. And even the permanent, like the Bachmann Sanders with their H 'n S protections, are grossly over-scale, too.

About the cutting: I'd urbanise it by fitting retaining-walls for most of it. Rock cuttings are rare in such locations. Then you could paint an urban back-scene beyond the elevated track?

Regards,

Tony.

edit: the chalk examples of the Southern are a prototype example of such cuttings, but they are white, which never works for me in model terms, even the best of 'em.

Edited by Brass0four

I am grateful for the information that ...............

Posted Today, 17:05
algorithm

...........   is not Biggles friend singing while they are crashing ...   again  .....

Edit - I wish I wuz btr at spellin

Edited by jcredfer