Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I'm not sure what cables you mean? The only thing I can see is the overhead 25kvolt contact wire.

Ah now that would explain it.....I was baffled none of the other pictures showed that....on the floor....clearly I was not stood in the best position to appreciate that it was elevated. Thanks for the clarification.

There's no sign of what it is hanging off....do I assume it is under some tension as it does not appear to sag? Oh post 5926 clarifies it....amazing what you don't notice if your not looking. :blush:

med_gallery_17883_2760_166875.jpgrmweb2089kalboro74

the updated layout near the tunnels

med_gallery_17883_2760_560926.jpgrmweb2090kalboro75

this is the area  Kal wants me to 'concrete'...not done yet but now on the list

I'll wet the ballast and retrieve it for future use,,,rather than go over it.

med_gallery_17883_2760_488049.jpgrmweb2091kalboro76

• Like 4

and the road which is still far too pitted

med_gallery_17883_2760_418305.jpgrmweb2092kalboro77

the emphasis of this picture should be on the road, having added some sanding and some more gray and some black shading..

.but I think the tracks look a bit ...well....pink in this picture.I'll have to check that out.

med_gallery_17883_2760_62424.jpgrmweb2093kalboro78

the layby

med_gallery_17883_2760_274140.jpgrmweb2094kalboro79

med_gallery_17883_2760_475.jpgrmweb2095kalboro80

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

A Red Letter Day, I think no...........but time to change the sub............

Your not sealing your packet's,they seam to have  split in the cable,  and are leaking all over my thread.......... :rtfm:

That's cos we go to your thread to see your work and there is none so we are passing the time til u put up some piccies.....

• RMweb Gold

A Red Letter Day, I think no...........but time to change the sub............

Your not sealing your packet's,they seam to have  split in the cable,  and are leaking all over my thread.......... :rtfm:

If there's a network leak, you can normally smell the TCP...

(I bet Kal gets it ;) )

If there's a network leak, you can normally smell the TCP...

(I bet Kal gets it ;) )

I think toddy is moaning about the smell of manure on his thread.....I could delete my entry but he will still be stuck with the others....... who started it....I just joined in :angel:

I'll just stay here...mind me own business....til the dust settles.......

Edited by Jaz

You are joking, mesh like that can be had from Halfords?!?  I needed some for my tank & ended up getting it at some expense from an online model shop!

And it was not expensive. I need more so I will get some today whilst out, and confirm price.

It's the stuff they sell for reinforcing body repairs, isn't it?

Your absolutely correct (Welcome to AV BTW). Well spotted.

I still have the packet....so you can check it out

med_gallery_17883_2760_398743.jpgrmweb2112kalboro97

Kal noticed it....said it looked interesting.....bought it just in case......and when I need something to hold the fence poles in place because they droop at all angles - this seemed suitably rigid......this superglued to the poles holds them in place nicely. I still need to add the wires to the tops but hopefully with the superglue holding these in place that should not prove too difficult.

you need to ensure the line you want to model it on is flat and the mesh carefully lined up...other wise some posts don't bed in too well....you could always 'build up' the 'soil' of course. Especially as around the bottom of such fences there is usually grass etc where grass cutters can't reach.

Still little by little....catchee monkey.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

I think toddy is moaning about the smell of manure on his thread.....I could delete my entry but he will still be stuck with the others....... who started it....I just joined in :angel:

I'll just stay here...mind me own business....til the dust settles.......

Some statement, that..............

:O ................from,.....Hartlepool, are you ?

Edited by David Todd

That's cracking!  Of course I do have a good supply of the other stuff, but this is useful for future reference.  

While I'd love to have a proper local model shop it's been rather fun finding things at other shops - I did stick out buying stick-on gems at Hobbycraft for use as head and tail lights on model vehicles as the other customers in the aisle were tweenagers looking for nail art supplies.  Mind you when looking at the internet for gems the results popped up "suitable for vajazzling", glad I didn't do that search at work ;)

Some statement, that..............

:O ................from,.....Hartlepool, are you ?

I'm not hanging monkeys....nor burning them......just slowly improving the look of AV as my knowledge expands....

realising pertinent points, or having helpful people point them out...especially re trackside detailing helps us improve

seeing how others deal with issues

or trialling new ways of doing stuff (I remember mixing PVA with sawdust to make scenic edges thinking I was SO clever...only to have it pointed out this was an old and well known way of doing this LOL.

Just each little bit that falls into place....helps us improve the layout.

Which considering we do the everything is modern day, but with Heritage and preservation areas, and a modern film studio using areas for period filming or even magical filming....does rather leave us with an excuse for just about everything. But in the year we have been here with the thread we have seriously improved the overall layout, and hope to continue doing so.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but I never get a *quote* reply box these days - just the standard empty box. ???

- and now I can't use Edit, copy, paste - !

]

Sorry... :(

All I wanted to do was underline just how wonderfully well you have come on, and what an exciting future this foretells!

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

And it was not expensive. I need more so I will get some today whilst out, and confirm price.

Your absolutely correct (Welcome to AV BTW). Well spotted.

I still have the packet....so you can check it out

med_gallery_17883_2760_398743.jpgrmweb2112kalboro97

Kal noticed it....said it looked interesting.....bought it just in case......and when I need something to hold the fence poles in place because they droop at all angles - this seemed suitably rigid......this superglued to the poles holds them in place nicely. I still need to add the wires to the tops but hopefully with the superglue holding these in place that should not prove too difficult.

you need to ensure the line you want to model it on is flat and the mesh carefully lined up...other wise some posts don't bed in too well....you could always 'build up' the 'soil' of course. Especially as around the bottom of such fences there is usually grass etc where grass cutters can't reach.

In latter years, when dad had almost ceased driving for health reasons, the bodywork of his Cresta PB was maintained in good order with copious amounts of this stuff. I only realised this when our Peugeot 305 collided with the back of it at very low speed...

In the days before Miliput, I used Isopon as a filler on models; it used to shrink quite dramatically when it went off, I recollect.

It really is much better   ...........

I used Isopon as a filler on models; it used to shrink quite dramatically when it went off, I recollect

......................   to use fresh packets   .......      :whistle:

And meantime I had the thought about the retaining wall, concrete sleepers are used, finding a specific example needs to be located but as this is easy to do and can be changed without too much difficulty so I ran with the idea

so a metal ruler and modelling knife and hey presto

med_gallery_17883_2760_211544.jpgrmweb2105kalboro90

it might look a bit fought to start but I have no problem in believing it will work out

an initial colouring with a beige colour and some Railmatch concrete mixed with it whilst wet to get different shades on separate sleepers

med_gallery_17883_2760_394843.jpgrmweb2106kalbobo91

under better light

med_gallery_17883_2760_42606.jpgrmweb2107kalboro92

it still needs more colour some black wash along the 'joins' and some green edging

TR_tingalpa_inpage.jpgdurawall.com-au,

This example may be australian but I have seen examples here in the UK

med_gallery_17883_2760_394843.jpg

• Like 9

Well you are just about upto date ......with what we have been upto

these last few pictures...and I need to go off and do some more work

Add a CCTV notice

med_gallery_17883_2760_240091.jpgrmweb2108kalboro93

And a clamping sign

med_gallery_17883_2760_300766.jpgrmweb2109kalboro94

Engine viewable

med_gallery_17883_2760_160964.jpgrmeb2110kalboro95

med_gallery_17883_2760_254903.jpgrmweb2111kalboro96

Now I hope you have realised just how spoilt you have been with so many pictures......and I don't do this all the time.... :jester: .....
plus i got no work done in the last 3 days uploading this lot.
so I am off to have a look at other peoples work for a little while.And check out jukebox's youtube video. See you all later.
  • Like 9

Looking good Jaz.is there nothing you can't do with PIR. Think we'll have to christen you Queen Span. Kingspan, get it? Ok pretty bad I know. I'll get my coat............taxi.

As for using the aluminium mesh for the fencing, that's just what I used round the oil terminal on KoLW. Great stuff isn't it and nice an easy to cut.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

Jaz/Kal,

Apologies, but I'm still finding my way around RMweb and have only just 'arrived' at your thread via the link on one of Jaz's postings in 'the lounge'. What an incredible amount of work you've done in such a short time - I'm going to look in now and then

to track through it but a quick scan shows just what fast learners you are - superb and inspiring work, so don't be surprised if you see some 'like' ratings from me on older posts as time goes by.

Thank you, kind regards,

Jock.