Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

While browsing through my Peterborough pictures, I not only checked the tracks but nada good look at the platforms

med_gallery_17883_3106_554591.jpgrmweb2047peterborough1

and you can quickly see they are higgledy piggerly

med_gallery_17883_3106_359963.jpgrmweb2048peterborough2

and you get the odd bit of track detail

med_gallery_17883_3106_712484.jpgrmweb2049peterborough3

med_gallery_17883_3106_578505.jpgrmweb2050peterborough4

Hi J 'n K,

Glad you're back. Almost performed a posting idiocy whilst suffering from AV withdrawal (posted but deleted)

Anyway, main problem (apart from the pitch-angle) with the ladder is it is grossly over-scale*: the *rounds* (rungs to the uninitiated) would be as thick as your arms. Also, a portable ladder this long would not exist without at least one - more likely two - extensions. Nobody could carry it, much less pitch it. This is one area where I can claim some expertise: as a Fireman I handled the damn things too often for my health.

*Many things you can get away with - I'm no rivet-counter - but not with ladders, especially portable ones. And even the permanent, like the Bachmann Sanders with their H 'n S protections, are grossly over-scale, too.

About the cutting: I'd urbanise it by fitting retaining-walls for most of it. Rock cuttings are rare in such locations. Then you could paint an urban back-scene beyond the elevated track?

Regards,

Tony.

edit: the chalk examples of the Southern are a prototype example of such cuttings, but they are white, which never works for me in model terms, even the best of 'em.

Nice to see you around Tony

I am going for the retaining wall...when I get to those pictures you'll see why I have been unto......really like the idea of painting......although I plan to paint on the refining wall....a mural maybe rather than graffiti which is so easily added elsewhere. If we replace the painted bcd scene we might just go for the photos that are so popular nowadays, the track is basically only just over 2 and at best 3 tracks so I could not fit in even some low relief, and the roof starts at a very awkward height....so in the main sky and a low green back drop is the best cop out ....but it would be better.

I considered the big half metal hexagonals...but have trailed the flatter drop in concrete slabs...but you'll se later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If nobody else is going to say it, I will have to. It's hugely unlikely that a Signalbox would be on top of a hill rather than trackside, if for no other reason than how would the rodding have been operated. Can it be replaced with a small factory or some other structure, and the one in earlier photos be left at rail height, modelled as unused? The modern (Southern ?) one could be placed at the other end of the station.

You can get away without a signal box if you're using colour lights and motor points - just assume that they're operated from a remote signalling centre - which in these modern times aren't immediately always next to the railway.

Some of then are simple industrial type structures. Crewe signalling centre is painted red and white to mimic a semaphore home signal - but it's now a bit faded.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.091937,-2.434998&spn=0.001409,0.003484&t=h&z=19

Cheers,

Mick

You can get away without a signal box if you're using colour lights and motor points - just assume that they're operated from a remote signalling centre - which in these modern times aren't immediately always next to the railway.

Some of then are simple industrial type structures. Crewe signalling centre is painted red and white to mimic a semaphore home signal - but it's now a bit faded.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.091937,-2.434998&spn=0.001409,0.003484&t=h&z=19

Cheers,

Mick

Did you notice the cross of jesus depicted on top of the church......that is seriously cool....and I am not particularly religious.

With concrete initiated, I went back to the track and the platforms....dividing my time was usually controlled by what was wet or dry. Place I tended to work on a 3 foot width or so at a time so I could lean over to the back without getting covered in wet paint or glue.

Each time a recolour was done I had to wait for it to dry, and for natural sunlight in order to evaluate the overall effect. When wet it looked darker, and the fluorescence could give severe distortion to the actual effect, some of the evenings work was so unacceptable it had an immediate repaint. But little by little the colouring moved along and the shiny parts of the track which should have been grimy slowly fell into place.

As for the platforms....I love the drainage runs, will look into that on a spare pice of plasterboard to see if I can incorporate it

med_gallery_17883_3106_353806.jpgrmweb2051peterborough5

A nice newly refurbished platform and furniture to match

med_gallery_17883_3106_47666.jpgrmweb2052peterborough6.

I plan to retain the older fashioned plastic bucket seats at the moment as I have so many.

• Like 1

how even the real thing looks like a model when spanking new and all clearn

med_gallery_17883_3106_215027.jpgrmweb2053peterborough7

and I'm sure to end up embarrassed but what are the electric? cable running up the track doing?

med_gallery_17883_3106_797190.jpgrmweb2054peterborough8

I'm sure to end up embarrassed but what are the electric? cable running up the track doing?

Awaiting collection.........by your goodselves.

"OpenReach", have stopped  kerbside deliveries to home's, they only deliver to your nearest rail station................

Awaiting collection.........by your goodselves.

"OpenReach", have stopped  kerbside deliveries to home's, they only deliver to your nearest rail station................

Yeah Yeah......

You'll have some one down there with a video camera or phone to catch me hopping out on the tracks to cut the wire and drag it off just as a purple Flying Scotsman zooms thru and flattens me :O

They are missing the ball.....they should start operating on a much larger current so that it electrocutes the . It is not just the railways that suffer BT yes hammered too, although that may be by customers hoping to force them to upgrade to fibre. 

I know the poor bloke who took out our pole had to have a fire engine remove him from his vehicle. There was no ambulance in attendance and a member of his family was allowed to talk to him...so I assume that he was not too bad....his brand new 4x4 on the other hand was a total wreck especially once it had an emergency sun roof. Poor blighter.

*snip*

I know the poor bloke who took out our pole had to have a fire engine remove him from his vehicle. There was no ambulance in attendance and a member of his family was allowed to talk to him...so I assume that he was not too bad....his brand new 4x4 on the other hand was a total wreck especially once it had an emergency sun roof. Poor blighter.

Yeah, but after he got checked out by the ambos and was released from hospital, he was able to get back on RMWeb and post a shedload of photos of his layout all last week.

Oh, how he laughed....

Hi J 'n K,

Glad you're back. Almost performed a posting idiocy whilst suffering from AV withdrawal (posted but deleted)

Anyway, main problem (apart from the pitch-angle) with the ladder is it is grossly over-scale*: the *rounds* (rungs to the uninitiated) would be as thick as your arms. Also, a portable ladder this long would not exist without at least one - more likely two - extensions. Nobody could carry it, much less pitch it. This is one area where I can claim some expertise: as a Fireman I handled the damn things too often for my health.

*Many things you can get away with - I'm no rivet-counter - but not with ladders, especially portable ones. And even the permanent, like the Bachmann Sanders with their H 'n S protections, are grossly over-scale, too.

About the cutting: I'd urbanise it by fitting retaining-walls for most of it. Rock cuttings are rare in such locations. Then you could paint an urban back-scene beyond the elevated track?

Regards,

Tony.

edit: the chalk examples of the Southern are a prototype example of such cuttings, but they are white, which never works for me in model terms, even the best of 'em.

You are not the first person to notice that this Langley Models ladder is not very accurate it drove Richard Johnson (DCC Concepts) completely bonkers when I used it on our last forum. He used to be a great protagonist. Still is I'm sure. We always say high when we see him at fairs. In my defence we have out in the barn a very long ladder that cannot be carried easily by just one person - but it does have normal proportions.Put on the back of a window cleaners van it would cause chaos...LOL.

Yeah, but after he got checked out by the ambos and was released from hospital, he was able to get back on RMWeb and post a shedload of photos of his layout all last week.

Oh, how he laughed....

ssssshhhhh........:P

Back to modelling pictures

med_gallery_17883_2760_297187.jpgrmweb2052kalboro55

at the time I took these I had it in my mind what I was going to write but the time lapse has resulted in a memory lapse...

so all I can say is the is a dip on the hill and rather than just grass it I made it into a small feature. Nothing obvious just a break in th colour and texture

up the slope is the Hornby Resin blue building and the Bachmann Art Deco Signal Box.

med_gallery_17883_2760_297834.jpgrmweb2053kalboro56

as mentioned I might pop the blue structure on some railway sleepers, and the fence needs finishing off above the mesh, I have some rolls of barbed wire and contemplating cutting and gluing them in place.

The road also as mentioned is a bit rough, and has already had some additional sanding...and will probably get more.

med_gallery_17883_2760_125335.jpgrmweb2054kalboro57

I am reasonably pleased with how it is coming along...although it is mostly just plonk on items.The blue building has had some weathering , and the signal box was do some - but with Jason / Sandsides comment it needs to justify this position, and so far we can find three story building but the brick is plain on the bottom level...however the art deco building is curved and does not lend itself to over coming that pertinent point, i.e. the rodding issue. Still I am not up to date with the pictures yet....so will address it once they are all used up. 

meantime

the join between the two new bits of scenery were levelled up and some green fluff used to pull them together, I also do so extra painting on the roadside

med_gallery_17883_2760_529819.jpgrmweb2055kalboro58

the takeaway is just beyond the lay-by as we often see that...they try to leave maximum space for vehicles to stop and purchase. A car nearby or even connected is not unusual I wonder if they are parked illegal and are ready for a 'quick' exit if the council or the police check them out.

A better picture of the post van that Kal air brushed

med_gallery_17883_2760_16186.jpgrmweb2056kalboro59

• Like 4

Whilst I agreed with Sandside/Jason's remark it was mainly about location. A box such as the "Streamline Moderne" in question, might well have been electric. There is no sign of the space beneath that mechanical rodding would have emerged from. Otherwise, railway lines were generally a tight ribbon property wise. All the similar boxes I've seen (google images) are lineside.

It  is true that modern control facilities could be anywhere, but that is a very contemporary feature - which could suit you - but would make less of a railway model. (?)

T.

edit: I think electric-light signals would be up Kal's street?

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

I added a figure at a discreet distance in the home it does not stand out badly

med_gallery_17883_2760_412437.jpgrmweb2057kalboro60

this Bomax has to be used carefully as when I went to seat a figure on it I noticed it is far to big for 4mm. So shots like this help give middle distance definition without looking decidedly OTT

med_gallery_17883_2760_25091.jpgrmweb2058kalboro61

I have bought a  couple of H0 cars to help infer the far distance....I'll see about popping them on so you can see the effect.

That bit of concrete under the Shed at the back, just caught my attention.

Although it is quite a small detail, It does makes such a positive difference to that part of the layout - it just seems to be "Right"  ....    :imsohappy:

Then I decided this is what we needed

med_gallery_17883_2760_689348.jpgrmweb2066kalboro69

med_gallery_17883_2760_720659.jpgrmweb2067kalboro70

med_gallery_17883_2760_64820.jpgrmweb2068kalboro71

This one was attacked with a metal ruler and a sharp knife, and then weathered with a little dirty water. Technically the yellow line is a bit thin...it is more often the same width as the white one. and the newly painted rumble strip needs tidying. But for a quick paint do-et pup-er paint job I thought it was an improvement. More to do on it yet.

med_gallery_17883_2760_538987.jpgrmweb2068kalboro72

I am also making up a second station set of accessories using Ten Commandments station pack.

Also mangled a lamp which had been added then removed before a picture was taken...Kal intends to do a repair job.

• Like 1

how even the real thing looks like a model when spanking new and all clearn

med_gallery_17883_3106_215027.jpgrmweb2053peterborough7

and I'm sure to end up embarrassed but what are the electric? cable running up the track doing?

med_gallery_17883_3106_797190.jpgrmweb2054peterborough8

I'm not sure what cables you mean? The only thing I can see is the overhead 25kvolt contact wire.