Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I had to queue to get to this one

med_gallery_17883_3195_637004.jpgrmweb3513spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_703947.jpg

the boat was of interest, when I spoke to the owner I asked if the name had any connotations and he said it was named after his three daughters

items such as the sentinel was named after family members, and the names on the back was for operators and the for sale signs for a new operators that was an estate agent......

all very clever....

med_gallery_17883_3195_370159.jpgrmweb3515spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_690560.jpgrmweb3515spalding2014

....con't....

the limited palette had great impact as well....

and the light weathering showed it off magnificently

med_gallery_17883_3195_771551.jpgrmweb3517spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_11897.jpgrmweb3518spalding2014

unfortunately I was not able to lean in, and it never occurred to me to ask, with such a crush of people...getting knocked was too much of a risk...

med_gallery_17883_3195_599500.jpgrmweb3520spalding2014

• Like 8

First of all congrats on 8,000 views.  You have built a following.

Spalding pics are great.  An awful lot to see there, and it would be unfair to single anyone out.  However I remember Whiteoak well from the Aylesbury Railex this year, and I had a pleasant chat with the chap who was with it when I was.  The French layout is also rather splendid with so much atmosphere.

On the cornfields front I rather liked this from the Beaconsfield show this year.  I believe it is on the Club practice layout, hard to believe this is where they let people loose to refine techniques:

IMG_3198.JPG

I'm told it's all plumbers' hemp very carefully arranged.  The corn that is!

• Like 6

Howard Leader had a table at Spalding Show 2014 showing off some of his scratch built work......

med_gallery_17883_3195_923584.jpgrmweb3523spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_717458.jpgrmweb3533spalding2014

I remember seeing him when he went to go get this photographed quite sometime ago.....never having seen him before....but admiring his work in the shop......I said it looked good had he upgraded the Hornby shed? He looked.....and politely responded he had built this one from scratch and it was based on the building near Gosberton Station. A road I drive down now and then.

Seeing it here I stopped to chat....and pointed out the last time I had seen this....he smiled obviously remembering the occasion. We had also chatted last year at Spalding 2013....I was admiring some work he was doing for Lincoln Central. And here he was continuing the great work.

He is really friendly, so it turns out, with the person who bought Gosberton Station and made it his home, which has given Howard the enviable opportunity to see this station up close and personal....and this is reflected in his modelling

med_gallery_17883_3195_124526.jpgrmweb3524spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_80963.jpgrmweb3525spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_266376.jpgrmweb3524spalding2014

• Like 8

Another Howard Leader project at the show....

med_gallery_17883_3195_63081.jpgrmweb3531spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_801487.jpgrmweb3529spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_675578.jpgrmweb3522spalding 2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_137869.jpgrmweb3521spalding

When finished this will go up on Lincoln Central, next the the other building he has already done.....

These will go up on Lincoln Central too.....i already checked they won't be a 'spoiler'....

Link to the building it is going next to....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4887-lincoln-central-station/page-13&do=findComment&comment=1306028

• Like 4

I had to queue to get to this one

med_gallery_17883_3195_637004.jpgrmweb3513spalding2014

the boat was of interest, when I spoke to the owner I asked if the name had any connotations and he said it was named after his three daughters

items such as the sentinel was named after family members, and the names on the back was for operators and the for sale signs for a new operators that was an estate agent......

all very clever....

rmweb3515spalding2014

rmweb3515spalding2014

....con't....

the limited palette had great impact as well....

and the light weathering showed it off magnificently

rmweb3517spalding2014

rmweb3518spalding2014

unfortunately I was not able to lean in, and it never occurred to me to ask, with such a crush of people...getting knocked was too much of a risk...

rmweb3520spalding2014

Thank you for posting the photos of my layout, I remember our conversation.

I have enjoyed all the photos, as an exhibitor you don't get much chance to see the other layouts in detail.

Martin

• Like 2

great series of photos, the french layout made me think of Allo Allo, I was looking for cafe Rene!

someone should totally do an Allo Allo french layout.

Absolutely, so many characters to play with, and so many scenes that would be fun. Making the figures would not be too hard either.And several would be quite distinctive....Unfortunately the trains would fall outside our stock. So despite the fact Arboretum Valley has it's own film studios....I do not think it will be one I get a chance to fit in, although you never know......

Dagnell End..Spalding 2014

There is a lot of pictures of this one, not only is it of interest on several levels....

but both Kal and I were taking pictures...and you get the lot :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3195_303069.jpgrmweb3535spalding2014

trains above PLUS the underground

med_gallery_17883_3195_401766.jpg3536

The inside AND the outside of buildings

med_gallery_17883_3195_151634.jpgrmweb337spalding2014

and gorgeous buildings.....who can ask for more

med_gallery_17883_3195_266868.jpg3538

• Like 5

Dagnell End.....there's more....

med_gallery_17883_3195_274629.jpg3543

although not obvious this also has a limited palette of colours, enhanced by loads of weathering.

this area is treated differently, of course, I love the lighting

med_gallery_17883_3195_614013.jpg3544

detailing of the wall tiles....so London Underground

med_gallery_17883_3195_152289.jpg3545

no wooden escalators going cliquey clack though......not after the ones that went up in fire!!!!!

excellent imagery tho

med_gallery_17883_3195_707100.jpg3546

just like slicing a cake....and getting a good view of all the ingredients....mmmmmmm

• Like 4

Darnell End....just keeps giving tho

med_gallery_17883_3195_362229.jpg3547

one of the operators taking a quick refreshment break....

sweeping platforms

med_gallery_17883_3195_784712.jpg3548

and with all the grime of the time, they have also weathered the vehicles...

med_gallery_17883_3195_302872.jpg3549

and for those that are wondering if there is any railway stock....

med_gallery_17883_3195_501173.jpg3550

and greenery too

• Like 3

Darnell End...and Kal managed some long shots....

med_gallery_17883_3195_557669.jpg3551

and a time for play too...lovely cameo

med_gallery_17883_3195_129782.jpg3552

and the roof tops and back scene, everything is top notch modelling

med_gallery_17883_3195_418718.jpg3553

if this one was capped it could almost be a photo

med_gallery_17883_3195_517833.jpg3554

and the last picture of Dagnell End....I love the name worked into the chimney

med_gallery_17883_3195_662560.jpg3555

and just one fault.....the wall is lifting off the building......but who wouldn't be happy with the hundreds if thousands of other parts of this wonderful layout.....it reminds me of the ancient carpet makers who put a deliberate mistake in their work so that it was not too perfect....

Gorgeous modelling......we were really lucky to get these pictures because people were stood still for ages drinking in all the small details.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely, so many characters to play with, and so many scenes that would be fun. Making the figures would not be too hard either.And several would be quite distinctive....Unfortunately the trains would fall outside our stock. So despite the fact Arboretum Valley has it's own film studios....I do not think it will be one I get a chance to fit in, although you never know......

You could have a remembrance reunion on AV organised by the RAF guys. :O

[Edit.  I shall say zis only once]

I'll get my tin hat...

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

You could have a remembrance reunion on AV organised by the RAF guys. :O

[Edit.  I shall say zis only once]

I'll get my tin hat...

Polly

Now THAT is a clever idea......I do plan a NYMR re enactment.....and a bunch of people turning up dressed like that would be a clever way to pull them into our layout with the WW2 theme.....spot on Polly.....I will start to look out for figures that can do the job....I wonder if I should make a bed?

First of all congrats on 8,000 views.  You have built a following.

Spalding pics are great.  An awful lot to see there, and it would be unfair to single anyone out.  However I remember Whiteoak well from the Aylesbury Railex this year, and I had a pleasant chat with the chap who was with it when I was.  The French layout is also rather splendid with so much atmosphere.

On the cornfields front I rather liked this from the Beaconsfield show this year.  I believe it is on the Club practice layout, hard to believe this is where they let people loose to refine techniques:

IMG_3198.JPG

I'm told it's all plumbers' hemp very carefully arranged.  The corn that is!

We are lucky to have made friends with some great modellers, especially ones we can steal um oh i mean copy great ideas from, your self included. And it does;t hurt that most of them have a great sense of humour. AV may be totally off the wall...or on it if you include the graffiti wall. :jester:  We have had great fun thinking of ideas to reflect our friends, and they have also thrown out super ideas.....I am still struggling with the Delboy and chandelier idea.....but it is slowly coming together....once i get a pair of chandeliers, it will be coats for Rodders and Delboy, then some ladders and a catching cloth.....it won't be quick.....but some of the elements are on the workbench. 

Talking of which David Todd did some painting whilst here, when he wasn't helping sort out the lights in the old loft ready for the extended layout. We have thought of some ingenious ideas....well Kal did to be exact. The Blackpool and tram area is going to be wonderful once we finally get the vellums and can start to play......

Once I have finished uploading all the picture from Spalding 2014 show I will get back to showing off our own work....and Davids too :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now THAT is a clever idea......I do plan a NYMR re enactment.....and a bunch of people turning up dressed like that would be a clever way to pull them into our layout with the WW2 theme.....spot on Polly.....I will start to look out for figures that can do the job....I wonder if I should make a bed?

Definitely! An old iron bedstead bearing an appropriately sized and worded In Memorium - Madame Fanny La Fan, perhaps.

• Like 2

great series of photos, the french layout made me think of Allo Allo, I was looking for cafe Rene!

someone should totally do an Allo Allo french layout.

Can one obtain a Faller Road System Little Tank?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Don't forget Sgts Mess.  All the figures you would ever want.

I do like the pictures of Spalding show.  I am not sure I would have liked to spend time at a show that was that packed though.

I especially like Dagnall End.  There are very few layouts that have that extra something of interest, but this has it in bucket loads.

• Like 2

Ze nobs, dey are flashing!

We were at the east lancs 40's weekend, myself dressed as an RAF Corpral, my wife as a land girl and our daughter in whatever we had that looked right.

We were sat in the full brake where a row of seats has been put in along with a table so that anyone traveling with companions using wheelchairs have somewhere to sit together.

We're sat here as Eliza is having a nap (she was 6mths at the time) and Rene walks through, spots Eliza asleep, turns round to Maria (the short one?) who just walked into him as he stopped, finger to lips "shhhhh there is a baby" and tiptoed his way through

Maria does the typical cute baby act and tiptoes after him.

A bit later and herr Flik comes through and interrogates me and the police officer arrives, says 'good moaning' and also continues through the carriage.

All actors put on by the railway.

They had a mock battle at one of the stations after which the brake coach was full of American GI and British soldiers and one chap who had served telling tales of what had gone on between bouts of fighting and loving every minute however he did refuse the can of spam and fork that was being passed around by the GI's

Btw, new layout planning in my signature :)

• Like 3

Can one obtain a Faller Road System Little Tank?

Once we have the main layouts in place, we will be doing something with the faller, but the HO vehicle invariable need to be lifted off then a item f suitable weight in their place.....I think a tank would be far too much....although we do have the remote control one......I don't know if a suitably older model is available.....and our skills might cause some 1:76 damage!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_2796_570450.jpg3124

there loads of other vehicles about tho

med_gallery_17883_2797_71136.jpg535

a more plasticky model might be appropriate at that time

med_gallery_17883_2797_287880.jpg537

• Like 5

Jaz,

Don't forget Sgts Mess.  All the figures you would ever want.

I do like the pictures of Spalding show.  I am not sure I would have liked to spend time at a show that was that packed though.

I especially like Dagnall End.  There are very few layouts that have that extra something of interest, but this has it in bucket loads.

Yes I remember you highlighting the Sgts Mess before....and there is dome great  stuff there too....plus it.saves me massacring loads of other figures too.....

• Like 1

Ze nobs, dey are flashing!

We were at the east lancs 40's weekend, myself dressed as an RAF Corpral, my wife as a land girl and our daughter in whatever we had that looked right.

We were sat in the full brake where a row of seats has been put in along with a table so that anyone traveling with companions using wheelchairs have somewhere to sit together.

We're sat here as Eliza is having a nap (she was 6mths at the time) and Rene walks through, spots Eliza asleep, turns round to Maria (the short one?) who just walked into him as he stopped, finger to lips "shhhhh there is a baby" and tiptoed his way through

Maria does the typical cute baby act and tiptoes after him.

A bit later and herr Flik comes through and interrogates me and the police officer arrives, says 'good moaning' and also continues through the carriage.

All actors put on by the railway.

They had a mock battle at one of the stations after which the brake coach was full of American GI and British soldiers and one chap who had served telling tales of what had gone on between bouts of fighting and loving every minute however he did refuse the can of spam and fork that was being passed around by the GI's

Btw, new layout planning in my signature :)

Love the concept.......and getting in on what is the ground floor......and the story line.......shall look forward to progress... :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz - a proper start, this time.

The reason I pooped into your thread zis moaning - We were walking down one of the side streets in the town inside the walls in Caernarfon, saw this in the handmade chocolate shop window and thought of AVs fairground, so here it is, exclusive to Arboretum Valley.

post-14049-0-85224600-1416480074_thumb.jpg

The magic of it was

it was all

MOVING  :sungum:

the carousel

some of the people including the skaters on the pond

the railbus.

I shall have to go back and do a video.

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 4