Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 42xx- not a bashing thread

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Anyone got a picture with the body off. I have a 5205 at East Somerset Models to collect, but have been away. Just like to see whether it will take a direct fitting decoder or not.

It will take a TCS DP2X-UK with no problems. It will also take a DP2X if you separate the footplate from the body, position the footplate on the chassis, put the decoder in, then put the body back on. Doing that also gives access to a couple of places where extra weight can be added.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder If a Lenz silver direct would fit. I see the DP2X-UK is around 12 mm wide. The Lenz direct plug is 19mm long which corresponds to the width of the TCS decoder because they sit in different plains. So would the loco accommodate a 19 mm width? I wonder if the next time anyone has one open they could take some measurements to see if it is feasible to use the Lenz direct.

• RMweb Gold

Just seen the first wrecked 42xx go on eBay for spares. £45 for the chassis (bent slidebars), £34.67 for the body shell (chimney and other bits missing). That didn't take long for them to get broken.

Are buyers of new models generally more clumsy these days?

That'll teach 'em to add isolating switches to their lifting flaps :jester: ..........

John

Picked up my 5243 yesterday. First impressions? It looks like a 5205, well it will when it's weathered, smokebox dart  replacement is on it's way, buffers may get changed to correct pattern later. Definitely needs more weight, though TBH mine has yet to turn a wheel in anger, may hold fire on this until the gradient is finished on Tolmouth. Gone for a TCS T1P as the direct fitting one was not available when I ordered. On many there is a line(weld seam?) on the lower tank, think a light run over with a scriber may do for this.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my 5243 yesterday. First impressions? It looks like a 5205, well it will when it's weathered, smokebox dart  replacement is on it's way, buffers may get changed to correct pattern later. Definitely needs more weight, though TBH mine has yet to turn a wheel in anger, may hold fire on this until the gradient is finished on Tolmouth. Gone for a TCS T1P as the direct fitting one was not available when I ordered. On many there is a line(weld seam?) on the lower tank, think a light run over with a scriber may do for this.

Several of us had a good look at the welded repair on a side tank yesterday at Didcot (albeit on the 56XX but the principle is the same).  Our considered opinion (for what that might be worth?) is that at the very most something no thicker than 5 thou plasticard could be used to reproduce it although ordinary paper (typing paper?) would be much nearer the mark dimensionally for the thickness of the plate - which then needs the rivet lines to be recreated.

So in practice a scored line - albeit the opposite of what in reality amounts to an embossed line - might be the answer?

• RMweb Gold

Do you think an Archer's weld line transfer (similar to their rivet transfers) would do the job?

Could well do Brian.  the most noticeable part is probably the weld line itself although a very thin overlay would also work but a thick transfer film might be the best answer to that?

In the end I scribed a light line in the position in a photo at Ledbury (Wikipedia). There is also a picture on flikr of it at Newport and the line is barely visible. On some 5205s it doesn't show up. Anyway, fitted new smokebox door dart and it looks much better. Tried raising the handrails on the cabside, but on mine they are very short, replacements may be the thing. And of course given it a coat of my dirty loco wash as the two pictures show a pretty even shade. Probably needs another layer or two to so the BR logo won't show through, then a light dry brushing and dust to finish. Numberplates on the way from Modelmaster. Mine runs like a dream, though I have yet to put a tail load on it.

Two pictures Jules?

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Only have a small pocket camera at the moment as my DSLR was stolen on holiday and I'm still waiting on the insurance.

Here they are. Weathering not finished, but at least it looks even more like a 5205 now. BTW, did they leave Swindon ready weathered in BR days? Can't find a picture of a clean one in any of my books.

post-15-0-32455200-1375353747_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-04999900-1375353769_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-27397400-1375353840_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-10932800-1375353820_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

...BTW, did they leave Swindon ready weathered in BR days? Can't find a picture of a clean one in any of my books.

Probably depends on why there at Swindon. Not a 5205, but there's a photo of 7210 with early crest at Chippenham in GWRJ 18.in freshly painted ex-works condition, and another of 7203 at Llanelly in only very lightly weathered condition. Might also be worth checking the second part of the 42XX article in GWRJ 70 which covers the BR era (I only have the first part of this).

Nick

edit: ps just discovered I do have GWRJ 70 and there are a couple of shots of quite clean examples, though most are fairly close to Jules' interpretation.

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The loco body colour is excellent JZ - very much JLTRT ;)  The rods look good too but to me the wheels look far too acquainted with rust rather than muck.  Below is one I took earlier - 4257 at Aberdare Shed in September 1962 and although it's b&w there's little or no rust present although it's probably not more than 6 months or so out of works.

They did of course pass through works, they were repainted when it was a heavy enough overhaul but then many sheds weren't too flush with cleaners so they got grubbier and grubbier.  Aberdare as it happens looked after its 'passenger pet' 56XXs very well but it had a large allocation and was probably perpetually short of cleaners so the rest suffered.

post-6859-0-14322100-1375361821_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The weathering looks good Jules, what cr4p did you put on the coupling rods it's the nearest thing I've seen to the correct colour of um cr4p. 

Valejo Oil and Grease.

Wheels yet to have a coat of "dirty engine wash"

• Like 1

Valejo Oil and Grease.

Wheels yet to have a coat of "dirty engine wash"

Jules,

Is that Vallejo AV70865 "Oily steel"? Can't see "Oil and grease" in their list.

TIA,

Peter C.

Jules,

Is that Vallejo AV70865 "Oily steel"? Can't see "Oil and grease" in their list.

TIA,

Peter C.

It's 73002 Oil & Grease. Mine came in a set, Steam locomotive Weathering.

I finally managed to buy a 5243 at the Bluebell Collectors' Fair a couple of weeks ago.  A stand had two of them.  I think it's a pretty good model straight out of the box.  Here it is on its first outing:

35773423485_9166b61211_z.jpgP1060860as by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

34962976463_e21679f190_z.jpgP1060861as by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The train it is hauling is almost 8' long.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I finally managed to buy a 5243 at the Bluebell Collectors' Fair a couple of weeks ago.  A stand had two of them.  I think it's a pretty good model straight out of the box.  Here it is on its first outing:

P1060860as_zps4eddf14c.jpg

P1060861as_zps4de19104.jpg

Could we have more pictures like that please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

P1060860as_zps4eddf14c.jpg

P1060861as_zps4de19104.jpg

When the Head of Household saw these 2 pics she asked where it was, thinking it was a real location!  Well done!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've seen both the GWR 42xx and 52xx preserved locos in Paignton this week and they have the rear bufferbeam number on the left side of the coupling as Hornby have modelled it.My 72xx is the same so can we assume this is correct on these three classes going against normal GWR practice ?