RMweb

Hornby 42xx- not a bashing thread

Hilux5972

You're joking, Robin? Maybe they're getting their repaints done in China. Rear end views are, as always, none too common but all those in the three GWRJ articles where the numbers are visible show them in the conventional position on the right.

No, you're right. I've just looked at this. I suppose if you can polish the bonnet and put nameplates and lining on them we shouldn't be surprised. Maybe it wasn't a Chinese error and Hornby got the idea from the Dart Valley.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're joking, Robin?

Nick

Definitely not and I have the photos to prove it and will post them later.I must admit to wanting to model 'Goliath' as she stands with all her inaccuracies.

post-126-0-23255500-1375607521_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36359300-1375607544_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-06313300-1375607566_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46299300-1375607700_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-96206200-1375607721_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They do have a certain charm lined out but I would pass on the name plates, I am surprised Hornby have not latched on to these two. :locomotive:

Yes me too and closer inspection of the nameplate reveals it has lining too ! Are the details on the Hornby 5205 class correct to model 5239 before preservation ?

post-126-0-64144800-1375810480_thumb.jpg

...Stationmaster Mike advised me the footplate at the rear might be wrong for this number due to frame extentions instead of a bar spacer on the later engines, I now have the parts to modify my loco should the need arises if a dated photo can be found or if someone is able to tell me otherwise.

When we discussed this before, I think I said that I only have the pre-nationalisation part of the GWRJ article (Nos 69 and 70) and had not found a photo of 4298. Silly me, I had No 70 all along and I now find it has two photos of 4298 :scratchhead:

Neither photo is ideal, but I'm fairly confident that 4298 was one of the small number from this lot that had the extended frames and valances with no spacer piece. If you're starting from the Hornby 4283, then it will need modifying to remove the representation of the spacer.

Nick

... Are the details on the Hornby 5205 class correct to model 5239 before preservation ?

No. Not with the straight / square front footplate. 5239 (and 5224) both have curved front drops which take the footplate over the cylinders.

Although, having said that, I think 5224 was one of those originally built with a straight/square drop, but was modified to its present curved form when new cylinders were fitted.

Not sure about 5239.

Edited by Horsetan

5205-74 were all built with square drops and 5275-94 with the raised section over the cylinders, curved drops and the lower flanged style of motion plate. RCTS lists 5212/19/24/6/33/6/9/50 as having been converted to the later form by 1962. Beware also, 5255-64 as these numbers were originally assigned to ones later converted to 72XX and were re-used in 1940 on replacement locos with the 5275 changes.

nick

RCTS just says that these "...have had new curved drop ends." However, a couple of photos in GWRJ 70 show 5224 in 1954 and 5236 in 1957 with the raised section over the cylinders, but they both retain the earlier higher, non-flanged, motion plate.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

RCTS just says that these "...have had new curved drop ends." However, a couple of photos in GWRJ 70 show 5224 in 1954 and 5236 in 1957 with the raised section over the cylinders, but they both retain the earlier higher, non-flanged, motion plate.

Nick

The motion crossbar did not change when the front ends were renewed - thus all the locos that received new cylinders with a raised section of running plate and a curved drop end retained the original motion crossbar design (unless one did change as a result of major accident damage but I've yet to see a photo of such an example).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone had any issues with jerky running on dcc.? My 42xx runs ok on dc but seems to stop and start on dcc. I am using a Bachmann four funtion chip. Anyone got any tips on settings?

Best wishes

Colin

The jerky running is likely to be down to the decoder's back EMF settings. Bachmann's back EMF settings are designed primarily for their diesel models (and work fine for other brands too), but for smaller steam locos CVs 54 and 55 need to be set at around 12 and 60 respectively. I don't have a 42xx though.

Edited by brushman47544

Has anyone received any of the DCC fitted GWR liveried versions yet of the 42xx, 52xx and 72xx? I have seen comments that practically every other version, DCC ready or DCC fitted BR black livery have arrived in the shops in the course of the summer.

The jerky running is likely to be down to the decoder's back EMF settings. Bachmann's back EMF settings are designed primarily for their diesel models (and work fine for other brands too), but for smaller steam locos CVs 54 and 55 need to be set at around 12 and 60 respectively. I don't have a 42xx though.

Cheers for the help brushman its running abit better now still needs some tweaking.

I noticed last night hattons reckon their next load of br 72xx's are due today, rails of sheffield after the 2nd seprember and model eailways direct on september 12

• 2 weeks later...

Just had e-mail from a certain shop in Sheffield - R3126 52XX 5243 BR Black now reduced to £87:50.

Doh, that was bound to happen just after I took delivery of mine :O , although not form the same establishment I might add.

Happy with the running but the flanges clattered badly across my handbuilt, C&L pointwork  . A quick check with a vernier calliper showed that the back to back measurement was typically 14.4mm :nono: (might vary on others). It was quite easy to take off the keeper plate from the bottom of the chassis. I then took out the wheelseets and carefully put each set into my small vice jaws with the back of the treads resting on the jaws. A a few gentle taps with a centre punch on the axle end, both ends, soon had the back to back eased out to 14.8mm. Now she runs through nice and smooth :locomotive: . 

I also changed the pony wheels for Gibson's but they won't hold the track very well. I suspect a spring arrangement as I did for my 28xx will solve that problem.

Then all I've got to do is back date the body to 1930 condition. That will have to wait for other projects to be completed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very nice photo of 7202 in Swindon works has been brought to my attention.The detail that's caught my eye is the correct placing of the rear bufferbeam numbers however it looks like they moved the vacuum pipe to the left of the coupling to accommadate them.I will do this on my model.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/7361671038/in/set-72157629736491456

• Like 2

Lovely photo, Robin. Interesting to compare the slightly aged sheen of the tank sides with the fresh paint on the bunker and extended valances. Is that patch painting under the new buffer beam number or varnish over the new transfers? On the subject of vacuum pipes, mounting them to the left, as at the front, seems to be the norm on these and other GWR tanks but there are examples of rear pipes to the right. There's still plently of room for the number on the prototype. From photos in the GWRJ articles on the heavy tanks (vols 18, 69 and 70) 4254, 5202 and 5223 had right hand rear pipes though I've yet to notice a 72XX with this arrangement (cue half a dozen posts with examples).

Nick

• Like 1