Budget layout for Christmas present

Malton Seadog

I've definitely considered it.

I'm going to a second hand dealer tomorrow in person, so if I can pick up a couple there, I will.

I think it'd work best if I put the straights alongside the beach, so the oval is at a jaunty angle. It'd probably look more natural, and it'd be nice to see the trains running alongside the beach a little longer.

You might have space for a half-straight, putting the oval "diagonally" is a good idea.

How about cutting out the beach/sea section and, when adding the bracing, setting it a little lower (1/2" would do it, 1" if you can). Not only is it more realistic (which I realise is not the priority here!) but it would add a lot visually. Also don't make the tunnel too long, you will need to clean the track and remove derailed trains!

Here's something similar I built for my son, much more complex though as the board folds in half to go under the bed! Hills and tunnels to follow. You can read the whole story here.

IMAG0309.jpg

So - bracing bought (2 x 1 PSE) and is being glued as we speak.

On another note - does anyone know if I'm allowed to change the title of this thread? I feel that I am veering away from the original aim, and would prefer not to have the £50 in the title anymore. It upsets me!

Done - thanks.

Could anyone show me an example of a layout with a 'cut out' baseboard beneath the scenery/terrain please?

I'm considering hacking a big lump out of the middle to reduce the weight, and then simply staple chicken wire over the gap and add scenery. Is this a usual way of doing things? 9mm ply is quite weighty, especially now I've added the 2 x 1 bracing.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but the bracing would have been

stronger 'the other way'. ie thin edge fitted to the ply.

The way you have done it will still allow a certain amount of 'flex'.

Good luck, Jeff

I considered both ways, but my concern was that the extra inch may have made all the difference when it came to fitting it in the back of a car near Christmas time!

I'm limiting the height of my scenery to 6 inches (not including trees etc. which may be fitted 'on location'), so the total height of the layout is now around 7.5 inches including the baseboard.

If worst comes to worst, and it DOES need extra support, a 1 metre length (3 and a bit feet) set me back 80p today.

For another couple of quid, I can strengthen.

• RMweb Gold

Rather than chicken wire, use strips of cardboard (cereal packets), covered in kitchen towel soaked in a pva/water mix - two or three coats of this is quite stong (and a lot lighter !)

• RMweb Gold

Yep, it's obviously not as strong if it's leant on, but for supporting greenery it's fine. The more lattice work of card under it, the 'stronger' it is. I first coat it in suitable green shades (tester pots  - Dulux are 3 for £1), or brown / grey for earth / path, then add the green stuff.

If you know where you intend to plant trees, add a polystyrene block under the surface to take the stems. 

The hills on my BCbB module were made like this.

Well - the first train ran today on my outer circle! Just waiting for the second radius curves to arrive.

As I don't want to rely on power clips (and they look ugly), can anyone tell me the name of the wires which connect the controller to the track? I'll solder them, as I have in the past.

Seems like a silly question, but I've always had such a huge amount of this wire, I've never had to buy it!

Archived