Hi Kev,

Glad to see it all coming together now, you are the same as me, once you have some track down you just can't help yourself but to get some rolling stock out  ;) .

Will you be going to Bristol this Sunday ?

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

It was very satisfying pushing my Siphon C up and down :senile: Hopefully I can crack on with the electrics now and actually get something running :locomotive:

Yes, I will definitely be at Bristol on Sunday. Dad and I got our advance tickets at Reading last month. I've got a pile of Peco track to dump on the Bring and Buy!

I will look forward to catching up with you.

• RMweb Gold

It will be nice to meet you Don, and put another face to a name.

I'm not hard to miss, 6 foot 2, dressed all in black, with very long red hair.

I am somewhat different 5ft 6in very little hair left and what there is  is somewhat silvery. The W stands for Willsmer as a former editor quite a few know me. Probably be there from around mid day.

Don

I had originally planned on just a small lock up type goods shed, sited on a loading dock. However, last night I was marking out on the boards rough positions for buildings and realised that I do have a bit of space to play with. So with a spare hour this afternoon I knocked up a mock up goods shed.

post-12902-0-72391000-1421791518_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-15518200-1421791526_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-86236800-1421791533_thumb.jpg

I'm going to leave it up while I do the wiring to see if I like it. Also going to have a root about for some scrap timber to use as a rough representation of the platform.

After a morning of gardening I had a great afternoon on the layout. I managed to wire up all the track feeds on the first board. I will wire the tortoise for the trap point once I've installed the NCE Switch8 under the second board, where most of the turnouts are.

Here's a short video of Nellie testing the brewery siding.

http://youtu.be/p-_tep-55ZU

My first test was only DC, after this I connected up the PowerCab. Another video to follow.

Thanks for the encouragement, Rod.

The next board will take a little longer to wire up because there's much more trackwork on it and I have to get my head around wiring the tortoises for DCC.

Oh, and I have to go to work tomorrow :(

Trestle-lation! ;) Despite it being somewhere near freezing outside, I got out there and have built the remaining two trestles.

post-12902-0-21541200-1422887718_thumb.jpg

Over the last week I've had a good few evenings and have wired all of the track feeds on the tree scenic boards. Just the traverser waiting to be done.

I'm currently waiting for some stiffer wire before doing the tortoises.

It's getting very close now to being able to set up the whole layout for the first time.

Having a week off work as meant things moving on with leaps and bounds. Last night I completed wiring all of the track feeds, then this morning I tinkered with the traverser to get everything running smoothly. Even though I received a parcel for Eileen's containing the piano wire for the Tortoises I couldn't resist having a sort out and setting up all four boards for the first time. This did reveal a slight problem.....

The layout is 20 feet long, the room is 20 feet, 1 1/2 inches long, and with windows at each end 3/4 inch gap isn't enough clearance for the blinds. It was originally planned to set up the layout in a different room and pack it away after each running session. But when space became available to keep it set up all the time I didn't need think about what to do for very long. So after some measuring and trials with rolling stock I have decided to chop four inches off the end of the brewery board. This doesn't actually loose me any real siding space because four inches isn't enough room for a wagon.

So, before I take the boards down to chop one off and fit the point motors, here's a couple of photo's of the layout in all it's glory.

Looking down from the fiddle yard:

post-12902-0-72365100-1423079805_thumb.jpg

View from the brewery siding:

post-12902-0-48249000-1423079828_thumb.jpg

I have fitted the blinds in my loft room inside the window recess so they shouldn't cause any problems something to think about though.

Don

That would be the ideal solution, however my Mum uses the window sills for growing on her cutting and seedlings.

Buy your Mum a cold frame, job done  :jester:

Martyn.

Ha ha!

We've got one of those, a big one. It's where the cabbage plants and things go to harden off after coming out of one of the two greenhouses. It's warmer in the window sill, so that's where the baby plants live, apparently. My gardening is limited to all the manual work, don't ask me to actually grow anything!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got fed up with all the flatness. So I purchased some insulation to make the basis for the cutting. There's still some more raised ground to be added along the rear of the platform.

First the view from the station.

post-12902-0-39303600-1425230561_thumb.jpg

And next from the fiddle yard.

post-12902-0-93340900-1425230569_thumb.jpg

In other news. Nellie has now joined the loco roster with the addition of DCC sound supplied by Costal DCC.

post-12902-0-67931500-1425230577_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-75097100-1425230583_thumb.jpg

Archived