Hi Martyn,

It sounds like you're making good progress. I'm sure that your spirits will be buoyed once you complete the circuit. 

My mojo has popped in and out over the last few months. It has helped me take stock of things. I've decided that rather than try to do everything, I'm going to concentrate on the things that I enjoy and am good at.

You will indeed see me at Bristol :)

Hi Simon,

I am so very grateful for your help and time, believe me I was dreading the electrical side of the hobby.

So one day we will meet and I will buy you a pint or two. : )

All the best,

Martyn.

I can see why it's driving you up the wall (sorry...) but that's a most impressive bit of model masonry Kev, well worth the effort :)

Thanks Matt. Great pun :jester:

However, the brewery that will eventually occupy the other end of the layout is going to be even bigger! There's also the platform, station building and goods shed to do. But I have something else planned for the engine shed.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice little parcel arrived today containing my slightly late xmas present. An awesome sound fitted Minerva Peckett. The sound really is far beyond any steam loco I've heard before.

Inglebourne shed now has a new resident :)

post-12902-0-87808500-1453237153_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-52201800-1453237161_thumb.jpg

I see no shed ;-p

Yes Admiral.

If you look with your good eye you'll see the base for a shed and an inspection pit. :P

Actually, if I remember correctly there was a GWR shed that burned down and all that was left very much resembled what I have now. They never re-built the shed and loco's were kept in the open.

• RMweb Premium

Yes Admiral.

If you look with your good eye you'll see the base for a shed and an inspection pit. :P

Actually, if I remember correctly there was a GWR shed that burned down and all that was left very much resembled what I have now. They never re-built the shed and loco's were kept in the open.

Good story, stick to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

"I used Humbrol enamels."

So do I but may I suggest this: I spray the pipes dirty black and then just add the odd fleck of brass, copper or steel paint (Humbrol well diluted and applied with a brush) to suggest those metals on the various components. If I have overdone it, I tone it down again with dilute dirty black applied with a brush. When all is to my satisfaction, I spray overall with satin varnish. 

Here is an example, the backhead on my 8F:

8105-Cab-s.jpg

More details on this loco at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm

David

I made a start today on detailing my Peckett. which I'm going to finish as GWR 1098.

Bell fitted, toolbox fitted, rods and pipework painted. Three jobs, down six to go.

[/url]

Hi Kev

I don't know if one of the three remaining jobs is to replace the handrail on the smoke box but 1098 had a straight one not the curved one as supplied.

Also, I recommend using some better cab side plates than those that come with the loco. Narrowplanet and Severn Mill can both supply the correct GWR plates. I have commented elsewhere, with photos, how 'wrong' they are.

I'm not complaining. I bought mine via EDM with DCC and sound and it's a joy to drive! Once my replacement plates arrive it will be on its way to Essex for Colin D to work his S7 magic on it and do the conversion and finishing for me.

Dave

I don't know if one of the three remaining jobs is to replace the handrail on the smoke box but 1098 had a straight one not the curved one as supplied.

Yes, that was on the list, and is now done,

Also, I recommend using some better cab side plates than those that come with the loco. Narrowplanet and Severn Mill can both supply the correct GWR plates. I have commented elsewhere, with photos, how 'wrong' they are.

I have read your criticisms of the supplied plates on another thread and am yet to decide whether or not to use them. 

I though I'd better add my list of details jobs for the Peckett just to help show the changes I'm making to turn mine into GWR 1098.

1. Fit number and works plates,
  2. Paint and fit lamp brackets,
  3. Fit lamps,
  4. Fit bell,
  5. Fit toolbox,
  6. Paint pipework, sandbox operating rods, and reverser,
  7. Fit fire irons,
  8. Fit crew,
  9. Transfers: GWR insignia, buffer beam number, and power classification dot,
  10. Change front hand rail,
  11. Paint handbrake, reverser, and regulator handles,
  12. Fit drain cocks,
  13. Fit tank vent,
  14. Weathering.

Please note these are in no particular order. There may be further additions to this list, yesterday there were only nine!

Some exquisite work there Kev.

I made a list like yours above to cover my layout building as a way to create some useful progress .......................still have it, never kept to the order of supposed need and have done many other things instead. But I do stumble across it, revisit it from time to time so maybe it IS still useful to me.

Best

I have read your criticisms of the supplied plates on another thread and am yet to decide whether or not to use them. 

I have sent you a few photos of 1098 before renumbering in 1950 - they may be of help in reducing the size of your list!

Cheers

Dave

I made a bit more progress today.

The front lamp brackets are done, and I've changed the front handrail to straight.

I've also fitted some cylinder drain cocks. These are some GWR pattern ones I found in the spares box. They're not quite correct, but I think it looks better having them fitted.

post-12902-0-27971900-1454711307_thumb.jpg

Archived