Hi Kev,

I wondered where you had got to, did you go to Telford ?

The weathering on the wagons look great it really brings them to life, regarding the p/way if you are thinking of installing some point rodding I can put you in touch with a nice chap that does the GWR one's using 3D printing, the detail is amazing and at a good price.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I didn't make it up to Telford because it clashed with cricket. I really must have a word with the fixture secretary, oh wait, that's me!

Point rodding is something I'd like to get on to eventually, so yes please!

• 1 month later...

I have made a start on the bridge and it's surroundings which will be made from carved foamboard.

Firstly here's the basic bridge piers. All parts are separate at the moment, just to get an idea of how it will look.

post-12902-0-27840600-1447892013_thumb.jpg

A close up of the carved stone courses.

post-12902-0-04467000-1447892019_thumb.jpg

The main structure is made from 2mm foamboard. I've now started adding some detail using 1mm foamboard.

post-12902-0-10925400-1447892023_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-47465200-1447892027_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-90056300-1447892031_thumb.jpg

Some very nice modelling going on here Kev.

I do have a question on the track plan.  I can see in post 326 above that you have decided to change the plan for more shunting interest, something I did for ever and ever on mine.  Eventually after messing about for ages I have taken the plunge if only to get something to run my locos on.

My question is; in the track from the Goods shed you have what looks like a catch point if that is correct it can only be to stop run-a-ways getting onto the line that accesses the engine shed.  But it would do this by deflecting the run-a-way towards the very same track?

Is that correct or do I not understand how these CP's are meant to work?

Or is it for some future expansion?

Best

I Kev,

I like the look of the bridge piers,but if i may ask;Is there a particular reason why you`ve gone down the foam board route,as apposed to say plastic card?.

My reason being, is that whilst it`s strong and light (the foamboard) when built as a structure,it is quite prone to damage when knocked,because it`s so soft.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I've looked at both Wills and Slaters products and wan't happy with either. The Wills sheets are far to small, with the joins being nearly impossible to hide. And the detail on the Slaters embossed sheets is just not crisp enough for my liking, and you can't carve plastikard as easily. This left me with the foamboard option which allows me to create something totally unique, leaving me free to steal a bit from different prototypes, and re-create the idea's in my head perfectly in 7mm.

As I don't expect to be exhibiting the layout any handling damage should be minimal. Once plywood fascias are fitted along the edge of the scenery any accidental damage should be prevented.

Just to make things a bit more interesting I decide that the wing walls should be curved. By lightly scoring the back of the foam board it bends easily. Here's the left hand wall.

post-12902-0-08194000-1448901604_thumb.jpg

A view from behind to show the scoring, formers, and additional strengthening pieces.

post-12902-0-98944900-1448901610_thumb.jpg

The right hand wall is simply a mirror of the left. Here placed roughly in posistion.

post-12902-0-38052500-1448901595_thumb.jpg

Overview showing both walls and the beginnings of the next two pillars.

post-12902-0-48676500-1448901589_thumb.jpg

Evening Kev, looks like the sort of structure that would be built when a line was built through the grounds of the landed gentry. What's the nearby hall going to be called?

Chris,

You have spotted my cunning plan to allow me to make everything a bit fancier than the average branchline. The local stately pile will of course be Inglebourne Hall. I think I posted a hint to the entirely fictional story behind the line much earlier in the thread. But simply one of the previous Lord Inglebourne's was the main shareholder in the Inglebourne Railway Company, who were responsible for the building and early running of the branch before it became part of the GWR.

Below we see the current Lord Inglebourne inspecting the construction work.

post-12902-0-79949200-1448915887_thumb.jpg

(Somebody tell me to shut up if this is getting a bit too much like A Nod To Brent!)

I'm not sure I'm providing much in the way of education, Just sort of muddling along working it out as I go along.

Iain Robinson's blog: http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/ and the Robinson and Downes thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/ are good places to learn.

Painting will be interesting. I'll have to do some test pieces first before I start on the bridges.

Had a very pleasurable time at the Reading Trade Show this afternoon. Dad and myself usually go in the morning, but this year we visited in the afternoon because I now go running on Saturday mornings. Yes, I must be mad, but I was still quite pleased with this morning's four miles in under 47 minutes. Anyway the later visit was much more enjoyable, with the crowds having dissipated.

I also got a good look at the Minerva Pecketts, and can't wait for my sound fitted GWR green version to arrive.

In the end I got away with this nice little haul:

post-12902-0-65045400-1449339061_thumb.jpg

In one of those "what would you do if..." conversations, I said I would to buy a stately home located in the vee where the road splits.  I would rename it "Fork Hall".

Im sure Lord Inglebourne is quite happy :)

Best

Simon

In one of those "what would you do if..." conversations, I said I would to buy a stately home located in the vee where the road splits.  I would rename it "Fork Hall".

Im sure Lord Inglebourne is quite happy :)

Best

Simon

My previous house had an unusual name above the door, it was called " Far Corfe ". Our estate agent thought it was best to remove it before putting it on the market, but we didn't and it's still in place even now.

Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the state of play with the bridge currently. The south pier is nearly finished, just the hand rails and some extra internal bracing and it'll be ready for painting. The north pier is a bit farther behind.

post-12902-0-23158900-1451948978_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-05573300-1451948983_thumb.jpg

I'm getting a little bored with this now, so it's time to take a break and get back to the workbench thread. :)

I'm getting a little bored with this now, so it's time to take a break and get back to the workbench thread. :)

Hi Kev,

I know how you feel, I wish I had a pound for every chair that I have threaded on to rail just lately. I am currently about two thirds of the way around the circuit, but I am waiting for some nicer weather so I can cut and build the last couple of boards to complete the circuit. Then I will start the track laying again just so I can finally see the locos go all the way round.

Thanks to Simond and the electrical diagram he drew for me the wiring side has gone well ( so far so good ), so really I am just waiting on the weather, and in the mean time I am just having a go with some modelling clay to represent brickwork as I'm not that impressed with the embossed plastic sheets that I have tried so far.

Anyway enough waffle, might see you at Bristol at the end of the month,

Martyn.

Archived