Thanks Gents,

Yes, it really does look far, far superior to Peco, or even Marcway, pointwork.

Alan,

Apart from the stretcher bars (the copperclad is from the Ambis stretcher bar pack supplied in the kit), I've built the kit as supplied. For my future turnouts I will be ordering some Exactoscale bridge chairs from C&L. They'll save having to cut chairs in half to get them to fit.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for going a bit quiet since my last post. I decided I didn't want to take the risk of cocking up my first hand-built turnout with the entire Internet watching, so I continued the build on the quiet. In the end it all turned out very well, so here it is.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

The only change I made was to use copperclad for the stretcher bars. Looking at the Ambis etches I was very fearful that either I'd make a right mess of them or they'd break in a few months. I will admit that my way isn't as prototypical and pretty as it could be. But I'm confident that it will last a very long time.

attachicon.gif2.jpg

You beat me to it Kev - I've only got the sleepers and the straightish running rail down so far. 

Good inspirational stuff though. Carry on!

You beat me to it Kev - I've only got the sleepers and the straightish running rail down so far. 

Good inspirational stuff though. Carry on!

Thanks Chris. It still took me a week, doing a little every night, to get it done.

I've got to order all the bits for the cross over and double slip now! :umbrage:  :scared:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris. It still took me a week, doing a little every night, to get it done.

I've got to order all the bits for the cross over and double slip now! :umbrage:  :scared:

Agreed, that does sound like scary stuff. Mind you I grabbed 30mins tonight to have a go at making a vee. Second attempt could actually be usable!

• RMweb Premium

That's why I've elected to stick with O finescale 32mm gauge and use C&L vee's.

Morning Kev

Ready made sounds attractive but I'm not known for doing things the easy or straightforward way ;-p !

It is useful though having a C&L ready made common crossing to look at and compare my own efforts with. I'm sure it will be easier the 2nd time round.

• 1 month later...

Crikey, over a month since I updated this thread.

Not a lot has happened really. I've only just gotten around to purchasing the required bits to finish the baseboards this week. Earlier today I was pondering my trackplan with the view to ordering more track components from C&L. However, pondering led to tinkering and I've come up with this:

post-12902-0-80769200-1395354812_thumb.jpg

The brewery is now one large building, more befitting a rail served brewery like the one at Wickwar. With the pub attached to the side. I've taken a little inspiration from Hemyock, with it's dairy and extended the back siding across the road. This will lead to a loading dock, which should be fun to shunt. The other brewery siding will disappear behind the building to allow wagons and loads to be swapped, giving the idea of more sidings off scene.

Any thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Crikey, over a month since I updated this thread.

Not a lot has happened really. I've only just gotten around to purchasing the required bits to finish the baseboards this week. Earlier today I was pondering my trackplan with the view to ordering more track components from C&L. However, pondering led to tinkering and I've come up with this:

attachicon.gifInglebourne 004.jpg

The brewery is now one large building, more befitting a rail served brewery like the one at Wickwar. With the pub attached to the side. I've taken a little inspiration from Hemyock, with it's dairy and extended the back siding across the road. This will lead to a loading dock, which should be fun to shunt. The other brewery siding will disappear behind the building to allow wagons and loads to be swapped, giving the idea of more sidings off scene.

Any thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

I like the double road crossing like Hemyock.

It does make the goods shed road rather short. Plus to shunt the siding in front of the brewery, anything standing on the BR(W) siding before the level crossing would have to be moved out of the way.  As this is the most probable location for coal, the (model) coal traders may not be too happy to lose the wagon they were unloading for the time it takes to shunt the brewery.

Paul,

Looking at it again I agree with you about the length of the goods shed siding. So I've tweaked the plan back to more like the original, but keeping the nice curves which I think help to breakup the general straightness of the plan.

post-12902-0-10213100-1395409859_thumb.jpg

As for the coal traders, if I remember correctly they would be paying more the longer their wagons were in the yard, so they would be keen to unload them as quickly as possible. Their empties would also be shunted out at the same time as the brewery was shunted, so I wouldn't have thought they'd loose much unloading time.

As I eluded to over on Stephen's workbench I have placed and received a rather large order from C&L.

post-12902-0-44064100-1395872600_thumb.jpg

So tonight some cutting and sticking was in order to produce the cross over. Part of the AnyRail plan with C&L templates overlaid.

post-12902-0-19960600-1395872606_thumb.jpg

I'm having reservations about building the double slip. I might do away with it and the headshunt. Replacing them with a turnout would be more in keeping with the trusty mantra of "keep it simple".

post-12902-0-43663200-1395873130_thumb.jpg

I believe that this plan would require a trap point on the back siding.

• RMweb Gold

As I eluded to over on Stephen's workbench I have placed and received a rather large order from C&L.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

So tonight some cutting and sticking was in order to produce the cross over. Part of the AnyRail plan with C&L templates overlaid.

attachicon.gif2.jpg

I'm having reservations about building the double slip. I might do away with it and the headshunt. Replacing them with a turnout would be more in keeping with the trusty mantra of "keep it simple".

attachicon.gifInglebourne 007.jpg

I think to be accurate the trap would be beween the two point so protecting the main against both the siding and the loop or if the space is insufficient there could be one on both. I expect one of the experts will confirm this. Double slips aren't that bad but I agree best to get a bit of practice with turnouts before going onto slips.

Don

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gifInglebourne 007.jpg

Double slips are very tempting because of their space saving properties. However, I think they can look rather out of place on small country branchlines, says one who is using a three-way on his Cwm Bach branch. 

Double slips are very tempting because of their space saving properties. However, I think they can look rather out of place on small country branchlines, says one who is using a three-way on his Cwm Bach branch. 

I am looking at Bodmin North (as it was called in BR times).  Thats got 2 doubles and a single. I think LSWR and possably SR, used them more frequently than some of the others.

• RMweb Premium

I think Peter is correct, the LSWR was rather fond of single and double slips at branch termini.  Another one was Lyme Regis, which had a single / double slip depending on the date / accuracy of the plans!

For (excessive?) use of double slips how about Illfracombe?

For (excessive?) use of double slips how about Illfracombe?

My original rash comment was about the use of complex track formations at small rural locations. I could have used a double slip on Cwm Bach, but decided to sacrifice the length of a siding.  Ilfracombe was at the end of a double-track line with very heavy seasonal holiday traffic much of which was hauled by pacific locomotives. 

My original rash comment was about the use of complex track formations at small rural locations. I could have used a double slip on Cwm Bach, but decided to sacrifice the length of a siding.  Ilfracombe was at the end of a double-track line with very heavy seasonal holiday traffic much of which was hauled by pacific locomotives. 

Ah but Bodmin was at the end of nowhere.

Archived