weathering powders

farren

• RMweb Gold

i have just brought my frist set of weathering powders and after opening them and having a play my partner said they looked just like her eye shadows which got me thinking has any one tried use old eye shadows to wether with and how did you get on? my partner as said she will dig some old ones out for me to have a go on a old wagon to see if it works

• RMweb Gold

well i have had a go and it seems it is a bit of a hit or miss thing with make up ie loreal is useless to powderie moves around too much what i have been given by the wife is some KOHL pencells by MUA (makeup academy) eye liner comes with a sharpner on the lid for £1 each many colours draw some lines where you want to work on and then smudge it around to the affect you're after. The black gives a nice mucky oily look BUT this does come off on your hand when touched not totally though. Also there's acompany called ELF (eyes lips face) that sell makeup at very cheap prices and often have sales to the tune of 20% to 40% off so treat the ladies as well . The kohl works best if some matt (new'ish on the market) powder/eyeshadow is applied over it then it doesn't move and sticks quite well. dont know about varnish i cant see why it won't work

the wife has said that you could try bronzing powders/ pearls they tend to have more than one tone in the colour and might make a usefull tool for some thing but don't know for sure as i would be skinned alive for sure if i used hers

• RMweb Gold

well the wethering dose not look to bad though i would say it would look better in the hands of some on the forum. sorry about the loco my 1st ever scrach built with the add of a dremal and dads soder iron which was used to build tanks its that big and old luckly i have more tools now even a saw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've only just noticed some you-tube videos using the Humbrol powders thought I'd post the link here.

I thought they were quite good myself.

[\youtube]

There are only the 5 videos I think they are all worth watching for those who never done weathering before.

Cheers

Ian

I've only just noticed some you-tube videos using the Humbrol powders thought I'd post the link here.

I thought they were quite good myself.

There are only the 5 videos I think they are all worth watching for those who never done weathering before.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

Just had a look at the Class 08 video, very good, fancy doing some myself but think I will go on to Ebay & see if can find something to practice on, I will look at the rest of the videos during the week, thanks

• RMweb Premium

Never yet used Humbrol powders though a selection is in the mail.  So far I've usaed AIM, Carrs and Tamiya with a preference for Carrs in terms of colours.  The rolling stock doesn't always prefer those however - they don't seem to adhere to Hornby stock at all but I am working on a technique of applying fixative first then powders with some success.

• RMweb Premium

Bragdon enterprizes weathering powders set  with 12 colours is pretty good value. I use them with thinners sometimes to good effect.

I tried eye shadow once and would limit this to diesel grills due to thier greasy nature.

Results can been seen in my gallery.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2521-stock-for-goathland/

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's a tip for weathering.

Conduct these processes over a shoe box or similar. All the surplus can be collected and the mix used with thinners on steel stock such as hoppers! (Needless to say don't do this without the window open). Brushed on vertically it leaves a convincing streak effect.

post-8964-0-55967600-1361161383_thumb.jpg

Archived