SR / BR(S) EMU Route Numbers

Ceptic

Right......SketchUp 8 is back up and running.....Huzzzar !

I may be trying to split hairs / being too fussy here, but, I'm curious to discover the correct font style for the small roller-blind 'G' and 'K'. Judging by Eastwestdivide's and other photos, the 'tail' of the 'G' looks to be tapered and thinner than the upper serif. The 'K's legs / spikes appear to be unequal in length and do not converge centrally, i.e. they overlap. 

What do you reckon ?

post-7009-0-34139200-1373035290_thumb.png

post-7009-0-83497200-1373036634.jpg post-7009-0-94276500-1373036821.jpg

Cheers.

Is it possible that the G in that photo has been wound down a bit too far in the window, covering up part of the bottom? Not sure, as it appears to be higher than the bottom of the 7. As for the K, my photo appears to have the two legs "more equal" than your sketchup version. Pity I can't find another K. Time for some googling I think.

Maybe someone has been there before us:

http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/pdf3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4086

Thanks eastwestdevide.

It appears, by reading jools39's thread, that he is going for the commercial production of full size / 12" = 1' roller-blinds and is reluctant to release font details on open forum.

Even if they were, I wouldn't copy, without permission 

This topic is entirely open for any RMweb member's personal use, I.e.- Downloading, converting to a different scale, printing and producing transfers / decals from...But, as stated previously,  not for commercial use*, in any form.

Observations, comments and criticism are still being taken on-board here, and are most welcome.... Many thanks for those, so far.

Cheers.

Frank.

*Naive ?...Maybe.

my condolences to you

Mike M

Many thanks, Mike, also to Judge D, SRman, eastwestdivide and DavidLong  for your support  and friendship.

I'll be back on the case, soon.

All the best,

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Bros, for bearing with me and the support you've given me.

Thus, adding to to the 'list'...Gwiwer, Odddudders, cromton33, Godfrey Glyn, griffgriff & Colin,.... Good on yer  :good:...

I do admit to popping in, briefly, just to keep in touch, so to speak.

Right...Update No.1.

A (Hopefully) clarified version of the early DC units' alphabetical (+ one number) head-code characters 

1. The png version.

post-7009-0-33885400-1375631466_thumb.png

2. The pdf version.

Headcodes.pdf

If anyone would prefer a different version / format ?, please let me know.

Be back later...

Cheers,  Frank.

They are indeed very pretty :yes:

Thanks griffgriff.

Pretty they may look now, but the whole she-bang was pretty much of a mess earlier.... Multiple, bogus construction lines appearing from nowhere, like a bl##dy spiders web, causing the surfaces / lines to break up........  It all nearly came to grief, Griff !

If anyone's looking for BR(S) ED / Diesel loco headcode characters, I've added them to a new topic in the 'Southern Railways Group' sub-forum.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74782-br-southern-region-diesel-electro-diesel-locomotive-headcodes/

Second update.  Stencils Pt.2.

PNG Format.

post-7009-0-65785900-1376142702_thumb.png

PDF Format.

Headcodes.pdf

Cheers.

Edited to add omitted detail.

Hi Colin.

The latest, revised, files are all saved to the same size out-lines, so should help with the re-sizing of the print-outs.

I've done a couple of dry runs of an earlier version using a run-of-the-mill inkjet Canon Pixma MG3150, with both basic grade paper and Crafty Decal paper (White).

What I found is that the different thickness's, of the two, slightly alters the size of the print-out, so, some fine tuning is required.

post-7009-0-95148300-1376224909_thumb.jpg

4mm. / 1ft. on ordinary printer paper. Note that the colours are rather anaemic.

post-7009-0-18721000-1376225122_thumb.jpg

4mm. + / 1ft. on White Decal paper. Same settings, colours seem better, but the size is now over-scale.

post-7009-0-11827700-1376225616_thumb.jpg

2mm. - / 1ft. on ordinary printer paper. Settings altered to try out the smaller scale. Not quite there yet, as they've come out under-size.

Practice may make perfik , ....maybe ?

All the best,

Frank.

• RMweb Gold

Umm - had you considered printing on ordinary transparency viewfoils, as used for OHPs etc? We all know printers struggle with white printing, but the illuminated headcode panel will do fine behind the black. I've just printed your blue page and it looks smashing - albeit out of scale, of course.

Umm - had you considered printing on ordinary transparency viewfoils, as used for OHPs etc? We all know printers struggle with white printing, but the illuminated headcode panel will do fine behind the black. I've just printed your blue page and it looks smashing - albeit out of scale, of course.

Hi Ian,

That sounds like a good idea.  I will be away for a bit but will give it a try if the material can be found.  It could be mounted with white 10 thou. plasticard behind.   

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin.

The latest, revised, files are all saved to the same size out-lines, so should help with the re-sizing of the print-outs.

I've done a couple of dry runs of an earlier version using a run-of-the-mill inkjet Canon Pixma MG3150, with both basic grade paper and Crafty Decal paper (White).

What I found is that the different thickness's, of the two, slightly alters the size of the print-out, so, some fine tuning is required.

attachicon.gifP1011978.jpg

4mm. / 1ft. on ordinary printer paper. Note that the colours are rather anaemic.

attachicon.gifP1011980.jpg

4mm. + / 1ft. on White Decal paper. Same settings, colours seem better, but the size is now over-scale.

attachicon.gifP1011975.jpg

2mm. - / 1ft. on ordinary printer paper. Settings altered to try out the smaller scale. Not quite there yet, as they've come out under-size.

Practice may make perfik , ....maybe ?

All the best,

Frank.

Thanks for all your endeavours Frank.

I will let you know how I get on later on in the month when the autumn modelling campaign starts in earnest.  Meanwhile we are packing to go away, so the models have to be put to one side for now!

All the best,

Colin

Many thanks Ian,  also for the OHP* transparency recommendation. I'll look out for some.

* I nearly read it as OAP. That would have suited me admirably.

Cheers,

Frank.

Thanks for all your endeavours Frank.

I will let you know how I get on later on in the month when the autumn modelling campaign starts in earnest.  Meanwhile we are packing to go away, so the models have to be put to one side for now!

All the best,

Colin

Have a good one Colin. You've earned it. :good:

All the best,

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again.

Moving on to roller-blinds.....

Following a successful trial, using one DMBT forming new (1948) build unit no. 4355, a decision was made that designs of new stock would incorporate them, including new bodies on old u/frames. Over a period of time, only ten further 4-SUBs were so equipped, though. The subsequent 4-DD units had similar flush-framed displays, but, the units to follow had what you might call the 'Standard size', rounded corner type. 

The proportions of the individual characters were, broadly, the same as the stencil types, Slightly bolder, with a larger radii to the outer corners and the horizontal 'bars' to the '9', '8', '6' and '3' moved to the centre-line.

The 'Red' blank did not feature on the 4-SUB & 4-DD blinds, I'm not sure about the BR(S) designs, but did so on the BR Mk.1 EPBs, although a Tail lamp was still required.

Regards.

PNG Format.

post-7009-0-03654400-1377685921_thumb.png

PDF Format.

Headcodes (2).pdf

• RMweb Premium

The 'Red' blank did not feature on the 4-SUB & 4-DD blinds, I'm not sure about the BR(S) designs, but did so on the BR Mk.1 EPBs, although a Tail lamp was still required.

The reason being that the batteries were not intended to provide a continuous power supply on units of that age.  They could (and did) run low and the reds would have gone out after a few hours if the unit was not in use to charge them.  The use of red blanks as an end-of-train marker without a tail lamp was not generally recognised until the advent of Kent Coast stock meaning EPB units initially carried tail lamps but ceased to need them later in life.  

SUB and DD units were built with stencil plate headcodes and as you rightly say few SUB units (and both the DDs) were converted later in life to roller blinds but it was felt not worth the cost to pursue the conversion for a fleet expected to have a short life span.  In the event the SUBs lasted a lot longer than intended.

Thanks for the extra info Rick,

My references to the 4-DDs are based on photos of them when new in 1949. One of 4001 on p.45 of Kevin Robertson's 'First Generation Southern EMUs', Ian Allan, 2005, ISBN 0 7110 3087 1, and two of 4002 in each of p.49, Bryan Rayner's 'Southern Electrics, A Pictorial Survey', Bradford Barton, 1975 ISBN 0 85153 220 9 and p.172 of David Brown's 'Southern Electric, A New History, Vol. Two', Capitol Transport, 2010, ISBN 978-185414-340-2.

Both units are shown with roller-blinds.

All the best,

Frank.

Archived