Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

I like the new Flip feature. I often decide I want a mirror image of a layout I'm planning, but had to redraw it. I tried it with an existing plan using Peco-O-124 track, and it wouldn't work until I replaced the points with the new version. Then the whole layout flipped perfectly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are still some bugs in the "flip" feature!

I have designed a rather huge layout based on Atlas code 83 track, but couldn´t flip it. All I got was a message that a certain pount does not have a corresponding counterpart.

Now I have to completely redraw the layout, which will cost me more than 15 hrs. of work! :cry: 

There are still some bugs in the "flip" feature!

I have designed a rather huge layout based on Atlas code 83 track, but couldn´t flip it. All I got was a message that a certain pount does not have a corresponding counterpart.

Now I have to completely redraw the layout, which will cost me more than 15 hrs. of work! :cry:

Did you try to replace the parts that was not able to be flipped with new ones from the updated library in the new version of SCARM? I just checked the new Atlas-HO-83 lib in v. 0.9.32 and all parts inside are flip-able.

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to create your own track templates? I want to design a 4mm scale layout using 18.83mm and 28.08mm gauges. I'm not bothered about pointwork, just flexi track would do. None of the combinations of gauges included are in the correct ratio to each other.

Is it possible to create your own track templates? I want to design a 4mm scale layout using 18.83mm and 28.08mm gauges. I'm not bothered about pointwork, just flexi track would do. None of the combinations of gauges included are in the correct ratio to each other.

In general, yes, but I no longer provide the library format for public use as it become quite complex and if not used correctly it can crash the program.

Send me a PM or contact me at mail.gif for more info.

Mixy

Guest CLARENCE

I've only just discovered SCARM, through reading this topic, and am impressed! I have tried other planning software and always become frustrated.

Anyway, here is my attempt at a small N-gauge layout, based loosely on one of C J Freezer's plans.

Baseboard to be 6' 6" X 2' 6" (flush door). We'll be moving house soon and my new layout will have to fit in a corner of the spare bedroom, as I'm "getting on a bit" and don't fancy climbing into the loft any more!

Anyway, here's my first draft;

post-283-0-61427900-1465139431_thumb.jpg

Open for criticism and suggestions! A double track oval, with staging tracks behind the back scene, set in West Yorkshire, 1950s. A small station and goods yard on the edge of a small town. I'm hoping to leave lots of space for buildings and scenery. Would the goods yard work?

Over to the experts!

Cheers, David.

I've only just discovered SCARM, through reading this topic, and am impressed! I have tried other planning software and always become frustrated.

Anyway, here is my attempt at a small N-gauge layout, based loosely on one of C J Freezer's plans.

Baseboard to be 6' 6" X 2' 6" (flush door). We'll be moving house soon and my new layout will have to fit in a corner of the spare bedroom, as I'm "getting on a bit" and don't fancy climbing into the loft any more!

Anyway, here's my first draft;

attachicon.gifLATEST 5 5 16 15.40.jpg

Open for criticism and suggestions! A double track oval, with staging tracks behind the back scene, set in West Yorkshire, 1950s. A small station and goods yard on the edge of a small town. I'm hoping to leave lots of space for buildings and scenery. Would the goods yard work?

Over to the experts!

Cheers, David.

I wouldn't use N gauge set-track, use streamline instead; it won't come out much bigger.

The goods yard probably won't work, too many reversals.  And why is there an engine shed in the middle of a goods yard?

All the sidings are parallel with the edge of teh board.  Having them off add odd angles and curves helps break things up a bit and makes things flow.

And finally, you shouldn't really have the track at the back of the engine shed overlapping the running lines, it'll only lead to collisions.  :O

Guest CLARENCE

Thanks for that! Looking at it again, there's lots wrong, including the bit of extra track back of the engine shed, (accident, honest! :no: )

The reason for using Set-track, especially for the main curves,is for easy layout of said curves, I had a lot of hassle with Streamline getting the curves where I wanted them. I'll try again.

The engine shed's there 'cos I couldn't think where else to put it - and I want one! You're absolutely right about the yard layout, trying to put too much in without thinking - must try harder!

I was so chuffed getting the software to work at all, that I've obviously jumped the gun a bit (a lot) and I'm going to have to have several more goes before daring to show another attempt.

Thanks, anyway, for your comments, I'll take them on board! 

Cheers, David :senile:

Edited by CLARENCE

Yes, transitioning between set-track spacing can be slightly tricky to achieve and usually involves a little bit of flexi-track to make the transition.  Hopefully there wouldn't be any collisions this way but it's always best to check with your longest stock.

post-19851-0-46471400-1465278308_thumb.png

I put in the crossover to get the track spacing right; you can delete it later if it's not needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was going to ask how do you mark module boundaries, then I found the advice to use a rectangle shape (http://www.scarm.info/blog/tips-and-tricks/creating-layout-of-several-modules-in-scarm/) to do that.

Instead, I'll just say in Kato-HO-UT the part S109B is pretty much the HO version of the Kato-N-UT B50C and that there's three more special purpose tracks for HO unitrack based on the S123, an uncoupler, a fixed ramp level crossing and a automatic signal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new SCARM v. 0.9.34 is ready and published, coming with new and updated track libraries and also with the brand new Model Trains Simulator.

Read more details here:

SCARM Railway Layout Planning Software 0.9.34 Released

SCARM_0_9_34_Update-497x300.jpg

The Starter Edition of the simulator is intended for simple 2D and 3D simulations of various operations on the track plans, designed in SCARM. It will show you how the model rolling stock can be operated on a real layout, before buying even a single track.

SCARM_with_Model_Trains_Simulator-481x30

In that way, you will be able to test the concept of your plan and to discover potential design flaws before start the construction of a real layout. And like SCARM, this edition of the simulator is completely free :)

Please note: if you want to test the simulator, you must install the latest version of SCARM first and then to use "Extensions" > "Browse for Extensions" menu command in the program in order to download and install the required files.

The simulator opens a whole new world in SCARM universe and we can discuss the various operating possibilities, the realism options, performing of the simulation sessions and everything else related in a new topic.

Hope you will like it :)

Mixy

Fantastic new feature, the train simulation.  Has great potential for layout planning.

When will the Account Registration be up and running?

"Creation of new accounts is temporarily suspended. Please, try again later."

At the moment, there is no need for creating of accounts as the Starter edition of the Model Trains Simulator does not require registration. The account system is still under construction and intended for future use.

To install the sim, just follow the instructions in the blog post above or read the detailed description in the help here: How to obtain and install Model Trains Simulator

Mixy