New Mexico Santa Fe layout

Latest pics...

20130721_005037.jpg

"We'll never get this P.O.S. working"

20130721_005107.jpg

"Which way does this valve go again?"

20130721_005124.jpg

"Why is there a gondola in the middle of the road?" "Act of Hand of God boss?"

Bit of light humour for you all. Thanks for watching.

Just a couple of new arrivals:

20130723_122039.jpg

I think i have a serious love of 50 foot boxcars. Not fussed on where they are based, i just love them! The GN is an Accurail model and the St Louis is a Blueprint kit. What a fiddly kit that was too! Both £8 each S/H.

20130721_233700.jpg

Not really suitable for this layout, but it was only £5 and again it is Accurail.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

There's one thing that puzzles me about switching layouts said to be set in places like New Mexico, SP territory, or similar places -- I don't know whether it's the Lance Mindheim influence or whatever, but the western US doesn't generally resemble the grottier parts of Miami. And while I'll grant shoebox-style industries in some parts of SP territory, by and large they don't exist in New Mexico. (In fact, in much of New Mexico, there aren't many industries at all):

post-8839-0-68242400-1374597771.jpg

In other parts of New Mexico, the industries are very similar to those in west Texas, cattle and grain. I'm thinking that at minimum, the layout incidentals ought to be cowboy-ized a bit, and the backdrop painted to suit. This isn't the only layout I'd make these suggestions for, though.,

Thank you for your constructive thoughts JWB. I picked New Mexico pretty much at random, with no previous knowledge of the location (i have never left the UK), no knowledge at all of US railroad practice and a pretty small budget using all i had available left over from previous adventures. The photo quality doesn't help much either, nor does a lack of a decent over head lighting rig. That and the backscene are next on the agenda. At the end of the day, this layout was only supposed to be an experiment, to see if i enjoyed US modelling and it turns out, i have got further on this test board than i have ever got to on previous layouts and i have enjoyed myself immensely in the process. I know i will definitely be staying with US railroads. I know it sounds like i am trying to justify myself, but i think i am more justifying the layouts existence.

Naturally, I don't mean to be discouraging. It's worth pointing out, though that some of the really interesting small layouts by people like Peter North, Nick Palette, or Chris Gilbert go to some effort to incorporate regional features -- Haston is a major example, but Peter North has been very creative in incorporating Midwestern small town atmosphere with little details. Among other things, I think this helps a small layout get away from sameness. I think you could certainly incorporate small details (a Mexican fast food joint, for instance) and some backdrop impressions that would go a long way toward convincing the viewer that it's set in New Mexico -- alternatively, you could change the locale, but again, I think some of the best UK small US-prototype layouts succeed by, among other things, not being generic.

I know you were not being negative JWB, and i try to take on board all comments and complaints from people more experienced (or in your case, actually living fairly close to the area in question). I think sub-consciously i was being generic by design. 4 foot by 1 foot and cramming what should be a much larger open space into it, fulfilling all the cliches and compromise of the micro. But i am truly appreciative of your comments and i will certainly look into the backscene improvement. 

Petty has several very good, region-specific low-relief industries on his site, too, for instance, the Strongheart Dog Food Company http://lariverrailroads.com/strongheart.html It's a little more work than the generic shoebox, but it gives a layout much more character -- but be aware that Petty's prototypes are from the 1960s and earlier, when he was growing up in the Los Angeles area. You would generally not be using IPD boxcars and the like with these industries.

Archived