New Mexico Santa Fe layout

After JWB's very valid point regarding my back scene, and doing some actual research, I realised that the scenery in place on the layout looked nothing like New Mexico. Bit obvious really with hindsight. So i have researched numerous locations throughout the ATSF network and i think i have found the perfect candidate. St Joseph, MO. Small branch line, perfect for the size and GP30's, 35's, 38-2's etc, and was abandoned in 1984. It means i will not be able to use BNSF, but my preference is SF. So i thank you JWB. You made me see sense!

.... At the end of the day, this layout was only supposed to be an experiment, to see if i enjoyed US modelling and it turns out, i have got further on this test board than i have ever got to on previous layouts and i have enjoyed myself immensely in the process. I know i will definitely be staying with US railroads. I know it sounds like i am trying to justify myself, but i think i am more justifying the layouts existence.

... and I'd say it's succeeded admirably; it has done/is doing what it was built for - as a 'taster' for something more serious (and still American!!) later on. :D

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Long time no post. Nothing to report physically on the layout, i have just collecting appropriate stock. Which brings me to my latest rant. The Bachmann 36ft wide vision caboose. Which i recently purchased. It is so toy like it beggars belief. I have had to do much work to improve it, to the point that all thats left is the body and the wheels!

Deep breath

And relax.

Rob

20130904_013333.jpg

This is the finish article, bar weathering. The original chassis was ditched as the detail was poor and the bogie spacing was incorrect. I had a spare caboose chassis from an Athern BNSF caboose which i repainted. Surprisingly, no modification was needed to either body or chassis to fit. Athern bogies with Bachmann wheels and Ez mate mark 2's. I swapped the stove pipe as well. The body was modified slightly for detail reasons. The roof walkways were painted and added, again Athern. Last but not least it needed glazing, some parts from the Athern caboose, others from clear packaging plastic. Overall i am pretty happy with the end result.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, 

Long time no post! Just a few pics for you now, as i have a new camera.

20131021_201912.jpg

This chap was holding a crowbar, which i removed. Then i removed a section of the support beam on the caboose to make it look like he is holding onto the beam.

20131103_192501.jpg

20131103_192548.jpg

20131103_193700.jpg

20131104_200508_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131104_200542_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131104_200555_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131104_200725_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rob

Here's a grab shot I had to take right into the sun, but it shows a BNSF shoving platform in Albuquerque.

post-8839-0-16656800-1383665552.jpg

Blank out the lower windows and add some Blair Line graffiti decals, and you're getting close.

• 2 weeks later...

After JWB's very valid point regarding my back scene, and doing some actual research, I realised that the scenery in place on the layout looked nothing like New Mexico. Bit obvious really with hindsight. So i have researched numerous locations throughout the ATSF network and i think i have found the perfect candidate. St Joseph, MO. Small branch line, perfect for the size and GP30's, 35's, 38-2's etc, and was abandoned in 1984. It means i will not be able to use BNSF, but my preference is SF. So i thank you JWB. You made me see sense!

You probably need to send a message to the BNSF since they seem to think that their main line from Lincoln, NE and Omaha, NE to Kansas City goes through St. Joseph. Come to think of it I better alert the UP since they were detouring trains between Omaha and Kansas City over the BNSF via St Joe when the Missouri flooded last year. If there is no railroad there then they will be curious how the trains got from Kansas City to Omaha.

8-)

Here's a link to the BNSF system map.

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/maps/carload_map.pdf

I just hate to see something go out of use after 6 months. A beginner, of course, might decide to tear out a bad start and try again, but if you've been in the hobby for a while and something is unsatisfying enough that you want to do something else after 6 months, I'm wondering if some other recalibration might be in order. That's just my view from the other side, of course.

I see what you are saying. I have put a fair amount of work in on this layout and I am very proud of my work. The only thing letting it down is operational interest. It's a great photo backdrop/moving diorama, but due to the lack of space in my flat, I had to go with this small size and limited trackwork. Also I didn't really plan the fiddle yard particularly well and I am not sure how well it would have worked in an exhibition scenario. I personally think it looks lovely, and obviously it has a small following on here and other forums. And I have to thank all the people on here who have offered advice and kind words of encouragement to this first time "darksider". Because of you kind people, it has inspired me to go bigger and bolder, but i will always cherish my first work. It will still be used and improved. I'm looking at adding lighting and some other animation as this still is a testbed for new ideas. 

Oh dear...I appear to have waffled on for sometime there...

Archived