Stanier coaches - new batch

robertcwp

A new run of Hornby Stanier BR maroon brake seconds and corridor seconds has hit the shops. Described as Thirds but Seconds is more accurate for maroon period.

My BSK, catalogue R4236B, has the body on back to front - the long footboard should be at the brake end but is at the passenger end.

The one in the photo on Hattons website is the same.

Are all the brakes in this batch back to front?

Can you confirm if this new batch have a glossy finish which brings out the maroon , rather than the dreadful matt finish of the first batch? I have a 1st from the "A" batch which has a rich gloss maroon finish. Cheers, Peter C.

Why are they so expensive? Even Hattons are charging ??32 (ish) nearly a tenner more than the Maunsells-which are roughly to the same standard?
I haven't see a Maunsell coach, but I do have an LMS Stanier. To my mind the latter are over engineered and must be time-consuming to assemble at the plant, hence higher cost.

The coupling system that 'expands' to allow coaches to negotiate ultra sharp toy curves could have been avoided by offering long-reach and short-reach couplings that slot onto the bogie's. Also the flimsy plastic step-boards and door handles should have been avoided considering breakages only put people off.

It is my belief that Hornby should produce flush-sided coaches (Stanier, Bullied, GW later stock and BR etc) in a similar manner to the Pullman Observation Car, IE: clear plastic sides with printed on paintwork.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my belief that Hornby should produce flush-sided coaches (Stanier, Bullied, GW later stock and BR etc) in a similar manner to the Pullman Observation Car, IE: clear plastic sides with printed on paintwork.

Errr, sorry, Coachman,but the Pullman Observation cars are of conventional consruction with a seperate glazing moulding fixed into a painted bodyshell...

Errr, sorry, Coachman,but the Pullman Observation cars are of conventional consruction with a seperate glazing moulding fixed into a painted bodyshell...

I was going off an early pre-production shot of an Observation Saloon that appeared on one of the magazines early in 2009. It looked to be an entirely transparent body (paintwork and decoration had not been applied).

The method could still be used for flush sided coaches however.

I was going off an early pre-production shot of an Observation Saloon that appeared on one of the magazines early in 2009. It looked to be an entirely transparent body (paintwork and decoration had not been applied).

The method could still be used for flush sided coaches however.

I'm presuming it is a lot easier to paint the bodyshell and just decal/print a few details rather than having to tampo print an entire side, including over the detail mouldings. Two other points: 1) you can probably get thinner windows if they don't have to be part of the structure of the coach and 2) transparent plastic of a quality that is good enough for windows tends to be much more brittle than non-transparent plastic.

In your previous post you mention the coupling system and the fragile details - these have been standard on new Hornby coaches starting with the Pullmans - it isn't like the Staniers added something new. I think the main problem is that the batches have been produced when the pound has been low compared to other currencies, so their price is a bit higher than the other ones.

Adrian

Can you confirm if this new batch have a glossy finish which brings out the maroon , rather than the dreadful matt finish of the first batch? I have a 1st from the "A" batch which has a rich gloss maroon finish. Cheers, Peter C.

To answer my own question, my "B" batch second arrived in the string-tied parcel today. Disappointingly matt finish I'm afraid, not as bad as the originals, but not as bright as my "A" batch 1st.

The Maunsells are brilliant, what the Staniers done to upset Hornby??? :mellow: :blink:

Cheers, Peter C.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do hope Hornby do a re run  of maroon with improved livery 

I'd rather they produce a wider Railroad range of LMS coaches to the same standard as the new MK1. Given the cost of the last batch of Staniers I dread to think what a re rurun would cost at the moment - a current maroon Gresley is £48. Also as Coachman said  earlier in this thread - the current Staniers are over engineered and somewhat delicate.

• 2 years later...

Is is possible to backdate the BR maroon stanier coaches to LMS period. Anyone know what would be involved. In putting together a cross country service for my layout set in early BE when many coaches would still be in pre-nationalisation livery and it may well be cheaper to hold of BE maroon then to get hold of crimsoc and cream ones

Very nice but when can we have some blood and custard please blink.gif

THen I may buy the odd 4 or 5................

Hornby released the Blood & Custard one last year, I too missed that issue, but managed to get a couple or so. Therefore, I feel it would be next year if we're lucky. The new issue this year is a repeat of the matt finish, perhaps we should all write to Hornby requesting semi gloss finishes! If we all wrote at the same time, the news of that would be fun.

Is is possible to backdate the BR maroon stanier coaches to LMS period. Anyone know what would be involved. In putting together a cross country service for my layout set in early BE when many coaches would still be in pre-nationalisation livery and it may well be cheaper to hold of BE maroon then to get hold of crimsoc and cream ones

Why bother, when LMS versions can be picked up relatively cheaply on eBay? A brake third and two thirds are contained in the Hornby R3299 Going Home train pack. Hattons has the pack on offer at £150:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/98089/Hornby_R3299_Going_Home_train_pack_70th_Anniversary_of_the_end_of_WWII_with_Black_5_4_6_0_5/StockDetail.aspx

The Hornby R2908 Fireworks at Chilcompton train pack (try eBay) has carriages in authentic early BR livery i.e. LMS livery with numbers prefixed with a "M".

I'm presuming it is a lot easier to paint the bodyshell and just decal/print a few details rather than having to tampo print an entire side, including over the detail mouldings. Two other points: 1) you can probably get thinner windows if they don't have to be part of the structure of the coach and 2) transparent plastic of a quality that is good enough for windows tends to be much more brittle than non-transparent plastic.

In your previous post you mention the coupling system and the fragile details - these have been standard on new Hornby coaches starting with the Pullmans - it isn't like the Staniers added something new. I think the main problem is that the batches have been produced when the pound has been low compared to other currencies, so their price is a bit higher than the other ones.

Adrian

I see some of the prices as eye wateringly expensive, especially for someone who is starting out and wants significant numbers of models to actually run on their railway, not sit in a display case or sit in a box awaiting resale with a hoped for profit. I would like to see coaches and complex modern bogie wagons costing less than £20 With modern locos costing no more than £60 for the basic DC version. All that fiddly detail irritates me, it gets knocked off in use and anyway you can't see it from a couple of feet away when the trains are moving. Sprung buffers? as much use as a cat flap in a submarine!

I am extending my layout from steam into 1960's diesel and wanted 15 container flats, even if the Bachmann ones were in period they cost £42 each. That's over £600 - aargh!. I will make do with the 'horrific' Railroad ones at £14 a go.

Hello Dave

I do rather agree

I see some of the prices as eye wateringly expensive, o.

There have been similar mutterings on the Bachmann 'new' Thompson coach thread - £50 a throw.

I am sure it will be covered elsewhere but I do wonder who is going to buy all this expensive stock.  The number of modellers with money to burn who can remember seeing blood and custard or BR maroon is a dying race.  In the 1960s Hornby (as in Meccanno) used to update their models each year (new crests, yellow warning panels etc) so that young modellers could keep up with the happenings in the real world.  My feeling is that younger modellers will still prefer to keep up to date and will not have the interest (or the cash) to buy these highly detailed models from the past.

I bought two or three of the new Hornby Staniers (and sold a couple of old ones on eBay) - sort of part exchange.  As to the Thompson's, five coaches at £250, not sure what to think.  It a broadly sinilar cost to the labour I have just paid to have the heater replaced on my MGB.  I know which will give me the most pleasure.  As to the Thompson's there is some enjoyable and dooable modelling to be had in updating them.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

eB2G5Z0lD1

The Hornby R2908 Fireworks at Chilcompton train pack (try eBay) has carriages in authentic early BR livery i.e. LMS livery with numbers prefixed with a "M".

Cheltenham Model Centre have had these split from the set for £75 very recently.

Archived