The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Just found this one from our holiday in '09, a De Tomaso Pantera in Paris, about to be loaded onto the Motor Rail wagon to return to Italy

attachicon.gif382 2.jpg

probabley the only way it would make it from Paris to Italy ?

lovely motor tho 

did you know that  a de thomosa formed the basis of the MG xpower vs sports car that died a premature death along with rover ?

• RMweb Premium

probabley the only way it would make it from Paris to Italy ?

lovely motor tho 

did you know that  a de thomosa formed the basis of the MG xpower vs sports car that died a premature death along with rover ?

It would make sense in a bizare way logical even....

I hadn't even heard of the Xpower until I looked through some pictires of the Gaydon collection the other day as a preview for going up to the Great Electric Train Show.

Parting with the 1983 635CSi after 18 years of ownership, I notice that I'm old enough to qualify for a midlife crisis, so....I have been considering a Citroen CX or an Alfa 164. Not many of either for sale, admittedly.

wish i had the funds the 635csi is the only beemer i would consider buying can remember Frank Syntner battling with the rover vittesse and the big volvos in the btcc awsome powersliding rumbling racing 

wish i had the funds the 635csi is the only beemer i would consider buying .....

That must have been Group A racing you were watching.

The E24 635CSi is essentially a simple car, but well-engineered. The only major problem is rust - the youngest car is now 25 years old - and Karmann didn't exactly do a good job of designing / assembling the body shell in the first place, and BMW had little or no control over them. That's why many will need some form of welding or patch repair at some point.

I'm staggered at how few Citroën CXs and Alfa 164s there are on the market at the moment.

• Like 1

Wasn’t the E24 635CSi also notable as the first car to appear on the market with velour upholstery? :drag:

Not sure about that. Velour seating was available in the 1973 NSU Ro80 three years before the first E24s broke cover.

How has the Citroen GS held up over the years? I really liked my new 1977 one in “Geranium”! Lovely dial set..

Not brilliant. The only one worth anything is the GS Birotor.

How many CX models were imported to start from? I was under the impression that it was never a big seller with massive fall in value as it left the showroom. Maybe Jock can give you some leads he sold Citroens for years I think.

My understanding is that the CX outsold the later XM, which in turn outsold the present C6.

Essentially the CX was the last "proper" Citroën before Peugeot took over.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if you would be better getting one from France they certainly sold plenty at home. Which model are you looking for? When we had a Porsche 944S it was possible to find out how many had been supplied to the UK is there an equivalent for the CX?

The CX variants I'm looking at are either the GTi Turbo 2 or the DTR Turbo. Not the estate variant as I can't fit that one on the driveway.

I don't do LHD, unfortunately.

UPDATE: apparently there are fewer than 200 CXs still running, with another 320 or so declared off-road. Of these, the GTi Turbo and DTR Turbo are the most numerous, but total no more than about 50 of the running vehicles. Not much choice, then.....

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

The Citroen suspension is a nightmare if not properly looked after. We had a BX16v new, and dealer-maintained, of course - but it still left Deb stranded with the dreaded "switch off now" message due to incorrect torque-settings etc letting the thing lose pressure. Performance was wonderful - as 160 bhp should be - but when we sold it at 3 years and 40 k miles we were not that sorry to see it go.

Any one else had this experience yet?

I've just taxed my 1948 A40 Devon at the Post Office - quite a surreal experience, no paper documentation other than the reminder, one quick scan, no money changed hands and I didn't get a tax disc!

Even the nice lady behind the counter was slightly unnerved by the experience.

Les