RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Almost reminds me of the ZZ Top "Eliminator" album cover.....

A bit, that car was a beaut (as well):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7946829672_24bccf565d_o.jpg

Billy Gibbons was into his custom cars, I think Cadzilla is my favourite:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/17/ec/b6/17ecb6a39c046fd38b3bd28339d35d22.jpg

I want to build a British 'rod one day, oh for more time, money and a bigger garage!

• Like 1

Somehow I don't think it's got the 350 Chevy up front though.

Your right Its a very very heavy cast iron very long stroke six cylinder 2.1lt. in old RAC horse power ratings its a 16hp though I do know a chap who's put a Rover V8 in to one of these.

Very nice beastie. I like what you've done with the flashers. People all to often just stick them on without thinking of the look of the car. My late father had a Humber Pullman, circa 1952 vintage, and we used Triumph Herald units for the job.

Thanks. The only problem is they don't qualify for the MOT as they show a white light to the front but as the semaphores still work fine the testers tests it on these which is its original equipment.

On the road the drill is if you want to turn you put on the semaphore and look in the mirror, if you see the chap driving behind burst out laughing or nudging his passenger and pointing then you know hes seen it if there's no reaction then I put on the flashers as well. At the rear there amber bulbs in the lower part of the light unit which used to be the reverse lights I figured that I would need indicators more than reverse lights.

Have no fear, great useable cars that are becoming rarer each year, and sure to become future classics especially in 3.0 V6 form :sungum:

Here is my TwinSpark that I was running in 2011/2012 as a daily driver with no problems, impractical and uncomfortable yes...but what would you expect from a proper Alfa coupe?

(Apologies for posting pics of something that may be viewed as "new")

Bert, that's just gorgeous - thanks for the photos, I could look at that all day long.

I guess these would count as old these days...you certainly don't see many on the road (don't mention rust) ....

The 1983 Alfa Sprint 1.5 Veloce was my first car after passing my test at 21 back in 1991...my driving instructor thought it an ill advised choice for some reason?

I bought my first car in 1991 as well, and it was a Sprint as well. Although mine was a plastic bumper 1.3 model (early plastic bumper one so still had inboard front disks). Still pretty mch my favourie car (and still have a few spares floating around).

Love the Alfas.  I have a huge soft spot for the late 90s GTV but lack the baws to run one as a daily driver.

One would do me nicely. Only real down side is the cost / hassle of doing the cam belt every 36k or so.

The Alfa 164 is the only one I'd consider running, but there are so few left for sale that I decided to look for a Citroën CX instead.

Driven 164s a few times. Lovely car, but a bit big for me.

The Alfetta GTV V6 mostly came in 2.5ltr form for the UK market, but the South African ones boasted a 3-ltr.

The 3L was a pretty limited edition, and not a general production car. Basically a homologation special (like the 5L V8 engined Sierra XR8). While the normal 2.5 used injection the 3L used carbs (like the early Alfa 6)

All the best

Keith

I bought my first car in 1991 as well, and it was a Sprint as well. Although mine was a plastic bumper 1.3 model (early plastic bumper one so still had inboard front disks). Still pretty mch my favourie car (and still have a few spares floating around).

BPF 790Y started life as a 1.3 Veloce too, and still sported the badge on the rear panel, it too had inboard front discs which incorporated the parking brake being based on the AlfaSud chassis.

At some point someone had replaced the 1.3 with a 1.5 Veloce engine raising the power from 86 to 95 BHP, it has been Tuff Kote Dinol treated from new and was surprisingly solid for its age and model.

The main problem was its poor electrics, the indicator stalks controlled everything including the heater fan and were very temperamental to say the least and the battery light would glow with every sweep of the wipers as the barely adequate alternator struggled to push current through tiny cables made from copper that actually rusted!

I only sold it after 3 years as I had also acquired a 33 series 1 as well as the 2 Sprints and it was getting a bit silly trying to look after 3 Alfas with no proper facilities as such.

F739 OLP was a different beast altogether despite being visually similar...based on the Alfa 33 chassis it had outboard front discs and a proper parking brake that operated on the rear axle.

Being newer it was a lot more solid with better electrics and the 1.7 8V (Hydraulic tappets) engine was leagues ahead of the 1.3 & 1.5 although not quite as sweet, more gruff and purposeful especially with modified Dellorto carbs, custom stainless exhaust and K&N filter etc.

Easily the best sounding flat four engined car I owned but sadly it became a serious money pit after a couple of years with various niggling ailments, and I traded it in for a 33 series 3 that was a lot easier to live with and just as much fun once I'd got the spanners out and done some tinkering.

Happy days...my current GT is not really designed for DIY tinkering...It's easier to take it to Autolusso in Bomo and let them plug the thing in to find any problems these days.

...my current GT is not really designed for DIY tinkering...It's easier to take it to Autolusso in Bomo and let them plug the thing in to find any problems these days.

Same with all modern cars these days. Designed to stop any Tom, Dick or Bert Cheese doing their own work on them. No fun there.

BPF 790Y started life as a 1.3 Veloce too, and still sported the badge on the rear panel, it too had inboard front discs which incorporated the parking brake being based on the AlfaSud chassis.

At some point someone had replaced the 1.3 with a 1.5 Veloce engine raising the power from 86 to 95 BHP, it has been Tuff Kote Dinol treated from new and was surprisingly solid for its age and model.

The main problem was its poor electrics, the indicator stalks controlled everything including the heater fan and were very temperamental to say the least and the battery light would glow with every sweep of the wipers as the barely adequate alternator struggled to push current through tiny cables made from copper that actually rusted!

I had no major issues with the Sprint electrics wise. Wiper motor packed up and heated rear window never worked but that was pretty much it. Switchgear was physically cracked when I bought it but still worked, and easily enough replaced.

Replaced it with a 33 S2 Sportwagon, which I replaced with a 75 TS, and replaced that with a 33 P4 that I still have (along with a S3 1.3 lhd 33 - a series 3 car with no power steering and running on carbs, and until recently I had a crashed Irish import S3 1.3 for spares which had power steering and but still ran carbs).

All the best

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just received a copy of 'English and Australian Small Fords' written by Bill Boddy. A fascinating read and some interesting variations on the side valve small Fords. My particular favourites are the Australian model 'C' Ute roadster and the experimental 100E Anglia beach buggy with the roof removed, the doors welded shut and the sides cut down in a U shape for entrance/egress.

• Like 2

Oh for a dashboard like this on todays cars!  Our new Acura TL has a 'control centre, full of useless buttons that have to be pressed if one wants useless information.  All of this hides the speedo and rev counter, etc, while the useless information, if you wanted to read it, is virtually hidden.  All this because of the tech generation which must be included on new cars.  More buttons are added to the steering wheel which has become a control centre of its own and paddles have been added which tend to get in the way.  Why on an automatic is beyond me!  Nice car though!

Brian.

We had the pleasure of a visit from an old friend at the weekend who has a pre-war BMW (when the Fraser Nash were the importers IIRC).

We went to search out two late 1930's BMW which are sitting in a former car showroom in a small Suffolk village. The building is starting to collapse around them and the other occupants, that include a BMC Riley Elf/Wolsey Hornet (difficult to make out which through the condensation on the "showroom windows, an Austin 7 chassis, two motor bikes and what looks like a pre-WW" saloon of some sort under a tarp. The owner has no interest in restoring/using them and seems quite content to let them slowly rot.

My friend spoke to the owner's mother who lives next door (her husband bought the cars when he owned several garages in the area), but wouldn't let us into the building as her son considered it unsafe (but doesn't mind bits of the ceiling collapsing onto the cars). The owner (who inherited the cars from his father) isn't interested in selling them but knows of their value (the two BMW's alone are probably worth more than £150K).

Why is it that people will not sell vehicles like these so that others can get the pleasure out of restoring, maintaining and using them? They are also  industrial, design and manufacturing archives and should be kept alive as "living history".

.....Why is it that people will not sell vehicles like these so that others can get the pleasure out of restoring, maintaining and using them? They are also  industrial, design and manufacturing archives and should be kept alive as "living history".

"If we can't have them restored, nobody else can."

I read about a near-pristine BMW 1602 which was sitting in a scrapyard. The scrap dealer said he wouldn't do anything to scrap it, but it would never be sold on either because the last owner had kept it as a memory of her son, and didn't want anyone else to have it either.

"If we can't have them restored, nobody else can."

I read about a near-pristine BMW 1602 which was sitting in a scrapyard. The scrap dealer said he wouldn't do anything to scrap it, but it would never be sold on either because the last owner had kept it as a memory of her son, and didn't want anyone else to have it either.

That wouldn't have been previously owned by a Lord and lady who lived in West Herts would it? If it was the same car, I heard the story from one of their relatives in the early 80s. He was a Scot who had been a senior civil servant and been granted a life peerage for services to education. Their son had died in his twenties in about 1979-80 and she'd been the only one to drive the car after that, it had been his 18th birthday present. IIRC it was a K or L plate and had only covered minimal miles when I heard the story. Edited by RANGERS

That wouldn't have been previously owned by a Lord and lady who lived in West Herts would it? If it was the same car, I heard the story from one of their relatives in the early 80s. He was a Scot who had been a senior civil servant and been granted a life peerage for services to education. Their son had died in his twenties in about 1979-80 and she'd been the only one to drive the car after that, it had been his 18th birthday present. IIRC it was a K or L plate and had only covered minimal miles when I heard the story.

We may be talking about the same car. I remember it as being orange in colour, though...

• 2 weeks later...

More trips out with the Rover this time to Tesco so the wife could max out my card in the clothes department while I sat out side with the car, Having just come from the hospital for dressings and checking my foot I wasn't up to walking around the store. Actually sticking red hot needles in my eyes is less painful than shopping with my wife bless her.

So any way I stayed in the car park and gave the car a clean which was much more fun as no end of people come up to have a look and chat and I thought I'd bore you with some more pictures. Hope you don't mind more pictures.

First is her parked in Tesco's car park, In the last batch I posted I showed her in Asda's car park so the second picture here shows there's no favoritism.

post-17847-0-29849000-1423834520_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-23081400-1423834544_thumb.jpg

Next two show some of the paper work. two hand books that came with the Rover when new. In the second picture the books are done in cartoon style and are full of typical middle to upper class men with tweed jackets and cloth caps or business gents in bowler hats showing the market that Rover where aiming for with there range of cars.

post-17847-0-42394700-1423834559_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-26257700-1423834570_thumb.jpg

Its pretty obvious that if you owned a car in those days you were expected to do a fair bit of maintenance yourself so Rovers always came with a comprehensive tool set kept in a tray under the parcel shelf. Here is the tool tray with all the original tools and the second picture shows where the tool tray lives.

post-17847-0-42279100-1423834602_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-52001800-1423834615_thumb.jpg

I always have a chuckle when I see adverts for modern cars where one of the selling points is a push button starter, so its a new idea is it?

post-17847-0-54907300-1423834582_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking I hope you don't mind me posting all these. Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 13

And here was me thinking that the only way to start a car was to pull the starter knob!  Mind you, Minors were marketed as 'Safety Fast'...

Andy G

You may laugh Andy but I thought I'd try using the crank handle once just to see what it was like - 2.2lt long stroke 6 cylinder, I don't think so!!!

All that's good for is turning the engine over to set the points, if it doesn't start then I reach for the jump leads.