RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Oddly, nicasil was/is used on many motorcycle engines, and it is very unusual to have issues - unless it's a performance 2-stroke and jetted wrongly and seized.  Guzzi I think had some 'peelers' but that's Italian so quality may be dubious!

Bike engines do nothing like the mileage/engine hours/total number of revolutions that car engines do. In general they do more rpm, but piston speeds aren't as high due to the short strokes. I think it's fair to say that they are better maintained than car engines.

Ed

You've just reminded me of my 635 which - for all its considerable performance - could display comedy brake fade. I once took it round the F1 circuit at Silverstone, managing only three laps before the brakes went on holiday resulting in a backward slide into the kitty litter at Copse. I never managed to master the technique of drifting.

ah 1980s brakes had an one of the last xr3s before the injection came along solid front discs that had a nasty tendancy after prolonged high speed dualcarriegeway/motorway driving to warp and fade causing pad knock off .cured by replacing with vented discs from the RS1600i and rear discs from a pug 205gti (same pcd )and stub axles hand brake was a bit off a fiddle but getting a mate to fit a flyoff hydrualic handbrake from his rally car soon solved that ! also menat i didnt have to do to much work on the breaks other than replace the front with brembo fourpots  when i bunged a mini sport 1.9 conversion under the hood 

ah 1980s brakes had an one of the last xr3s before the injection came along solid front discs that had a nasty tendancy after prolonged high speed dualcarriegeway/motorway driving to warp and fade causing pad knock off....

Similar problems on the 635, which manifested itself in a brutal shimmy at about 55mph, and a lethal one under braking. I swore by ATE PowerDiscs which never warped.

Balancing was absolutely crucial. The trouble was that this wouldn't cure the 635's other problem: the standard upper and lower steering arm bushings weren't really up to the job. The only way to fix this long term was to fit heavy duty bushes from the E32 750iL. Fortunately, an eBay seller came up with these bushes already fitted to brand new E24 steering arms, so problem solved!

Braking was something you couldn't fault a Citroën CX on - they were very sharp, which is exactly why I'm after one.

Yes, they still exist. The only variants worth having are the GTi Turbo / Turbo 2 and the DTR Turbo 2. The latter is the one I'm after, as the former is a bit thirsty. Good towing cars, and might be able to cope with a single horse trailer in an emergency.

In an all out emergency, you could always put the horse in front of the trailer...

Yes, they still exist. The only variants worth having are the GTi Turbo / Turbo 2 and the DTR Turbo 2. The latter is the one I'm after, as the former is a bit thirsty. Good towing cars, and might be able to cope with a single horse trailer in an emergency.

a friend had the DTR Tubo2 estate and its was just a barge smooth powerfull and just glided along serenley on even the bumpiest roads .seven seats very comfortable only fault was the tape player had a single loop tape of bryan adams everything i do jammed in to it great way to get the kids to sleep 

• Like 1

The great shame is that oleopneumatic suspension was never promoted as an aid to those with lower back pain. It had a lot going for it, and wasn't as complex as people thought. It even seems to give the CX pseudo off-road capabilities - see various YouTube videos showing CXs tackling the kind of crazy slopes meant for Land Rovers.

• Like 1

Popped over to nearby Stanford Hall today for the annual 'end of season' Mini Show, sadly the wee Cooper S wasn't behaving itself first thing this morning so I had to go in the Alfa 'daily banger'. Having checked that the S was ticketyboo during the week I was annoyed to find that despite starting first time this morning the ignition light stayed on with the engine running. ''Oh it's the voltage regulator'' says I, thinking that a good prod will cure the problem but no, switching the engine off I found the ignition light was still glowing menacingly at me. ''Ooops, best disconnect the battery'' says I, which I duly did. Within half an hour of arriving at the show I'd found a new old stock regulator for a mere tenner, chuffed to bits at not having to pay £38 for another one a few stalls down I then spotted these highly sought after c.1970 Cosmic 5''x10'' alloys half hidden under a trader's table...

post-7638-0-72356400-1473615470_thumb.jpg

To find one for sale is quite lucky, to find a set of four nigh on impossible and the asking price of £160 all in was a no brainer so I bit the seller's arm off pronto. Even with the further cost of refurbishment and a set of decent tyres to go on them I'd say I've pulled a blinder, and selling the Dunlop D1 wheels currently on the car will cover some of the cost anyway. The chap selling them found them on ebay about five years ago, since then they've been sat in his garage waiting for the right car to come along and he said he almost left them there this morning thinking nobody would pay the asking price. I'm very glad that I got out of bed today!

• Like 11

Perhaps not really old cars,  mine like many others has an idiot light that every so often comes on, sometimes goes off and sometimes stays on.  It has been in and out of the garage so many times and every time there has been nothing amiss.  It will continue OK for maybe months then it starts up again. I have reached the stage where I don't take much notice of it any more and over the years nothing has gone wrong.  The car has only 78K but is over twenty years old now and runs good so I shall probably ignore it once more.

Brian.

Couple of Merc related items. Firstly I found some AMG alloys to replace the original 8 hole wheels on my 300CE coupe. What's the verdict boys and girls? I love them but my girlfriend thinks that it has given the car a bit of a 'trendy vicar' look.

AMG

Secondly, here is my 1990 500SL having made it to Mireille in the Champagne region of France. She behaved perfectly (the car, not the girlfriend) for nearly 2,000 miles, then refused to start at the front of the queue on the shuttle at Dover, holding everybody up with hilarious consequences.

Ay

• Like 1

More nostalgia...

'Fiesta Yellow' was never the most popular early Mini colour...

post-7638-0-96278000-1473791417_thumb.jpg

Seen for sale at Stanford Hall last Sunday... 'newfangled' reflective plates on a lovely old Mk3 Wolesely Hornet...

post-7638-0-98698200-1473791540_thumb.jpg

Cutting edge in car noise, 1968 style...

post-7638-0-47000800-1473791649.jpg

Some period accessories looked better off the car than on...

post-7638-0-52638200-1473791778.jpg

Rare as rocking horse poo Stewart & Arden Minisprint Estate (note lack of exterior timber) and the bog standard Morris version, approved ye olde English country pub backdrop option duly ticked...

post-7638-0-82974400-1473791915.jpg

Plastic fantastic...

post-7638-0-46019200-1473792131_thumb.jpg

Squirt squirt...!

post-7638-0-58589200-1473792284_thumb.jpg

Series 1 Fixed Head bird puller for the jet-set chappie about town...

post-7638-0-89003900-1473792414.jpg

Future pension sorted...

post-7638-0-81482700-1473792725_thumb.jpg

True Brits...

post-7638-0-61589400-1473792832.jpg

Also available in brown, purple, lime green and sky-blue-pink, if you ask nicely...

post-7638-0-94329800-1473793032.jpg

• Like 8

Just been tidying up the boot boards on my 'new' MGB GT.

29577058791_99c560bfdf_c.jpg

Tidying the load area

What a lovely thing! I miss my mate's '72 GT, he'd let me purloin it occasionally and it drove very nicely indeed. A previous owner had spent a few quid on the suspension and it showed, I couldn't believe how well it handled the first time I tried it. In Harvest Gold with Rostyles and the same dark blue interior as your car it looked the business.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The great shame is that oleopneumatic suspension was never promoted as an aid to those with lower back pain. It had a lot going for it, and wasn't as complex as people thought. It even seems to give the CX pseudo off-road capabilities - see various YouTube videos showing CXs tackling the kind of crazy slopes meant for Land Rovers.

Unfortunately, although Citroen suspension is good for the back, they used it as an excuse for some of the worst seats ever. So not a car that I would commend for that reason.

But yes, a great tow car but getting pricey now as quite rare.

Generally, I agree that the hydraulic suspension is not all that complicated. But even the failure of a small part can leave you stranded at the side of the road. Very rare for more conventional suspension systems to do that.

I rather fancy a C6 despite that!

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

More nostalgia...

'Fiesta Yellow' was never the most popular early Mini colour...

My parents had a new Fiesta Yellow Mini Estate (KPE 641C). They had ordered either White or Dark Green but after much delay in delivery agreed to take whatever the dealer in Epsom could get. When the salesman rang to tell my mother that it would be Fiesta Yellow, she replied "Oh, you mean sickly green".

It stayed with the family through 9 years and about 90,000 miles including several trips to France. Completely knackered when sold on.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Try to find one. There was one year when Citroën managed to shift the stunningly massive total of.....six cars, which may have precipitated their decision to stop RHD production.

They seem to be no more common in France. There are a couple round here and a few months ago there were several available across the UK on Auto Trader.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, although Citroen suspension is good for the back, they used it as an excuse for some of the worst seats ever. So not a car that I would commend for that reason.

But yes, a great tow car but getting pricey now as quite rare.

Generally, I agree that the hydraulic suspension is not all that complicated. But even the failure of a small part can leave you stranded at the side of the road. Very rare for more conventional suspension systems to do that.

I rather fancy a C6 despite that!

A split hydraulic hose was not a pretty sight. Mind you although it was job-stopper it was no worse in effect than mistakenly putting your foot on the accelerator when cold starting a GS - instant flooded engine, no way of starting until you'd had all the plugs out and dried them; just don't ask how I know and why I just happened to have a socket set with a universal joint.

• Like 2

Perhaps not really old cars,  mine like many others has an idiot light that every so often comes on, sometimes goes off and sometimes stays on.  It has been in and out of the garage so many times and every time there has been nothing amiss.  It will continue OK for maybe months then it starts up again. I have reached the stage where I don't take much notice of it any more and over the years nothing has gone wrong.  The car has only 78K but is over twenty years old now and runs good so I shall probably ignore it once more.

Brian.

Do you only do short trips or low speeds, if so it could be that the catalytic converter/ oxygen sensor are getting dirty, a good blast down the motorway/dual carriageway in a low gear at quite high revs will burn off all the crud and extinguish the light for a while,