The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Yeah, yeah guys, thanks very much....

I know it's been off the road for a while but I like to do things properly.

Dave Franks.

which you appear to be ! fantastic finnsh to that rolling chassis mate hard work paying off .if the  body is in as good a finnish  will be a gem 

• RMweb Premium

Despite Horsetan's comments, the Gora is OK, the Golf front end makes it look a little different as young folk require, and lowered a touch and with nice alloys it looks pretty good.  He's also got a VR6 Corrado which doesn't do 80mpg, but goes like stink instead.  Much more fun.

He is an MA in automotive design, and his first degree produced a rather spiffy renewal of the Karmann Ghia.  VW showed interest.....

• Like 5

Despite Horsetan's comments, the Gora is OK, the Golf front end makes it look a little different as young folk require, and lowered a touch and with nice alloys it looks pretty good.  He's also got a VR6 Corrado which doesn't do 80mpg, but goes like stink instead.  Much more fun.

He is an MA in automotive design, and his first degree produced a rather spiffy renewal of the Karmann Ghia.  VW showed interest.....

Put my name down for one...

• Like 1

Almost ready to drop the body back on, if I get the time...

attachicon.gife landie pics 1.jpg

1966 Landrover Series 2a.

50 years old this week.

Dave Franks.

And no, it's not a Defender thankyou....

Lovely job Dave, looks like you are doing a thorough job on that one. 

I nearly chucked the remote at the TV while watching one of the recent car programs with reference to the Land Rover Defender and pictures of Series 1s,2s and 3s...

• Like 1

Isn't that where a Landie's supposed to be?

Clearly these ones are:

post-7400-0-43863000-1477811401_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-14715400-1477811426_thumb.jpg

They are up for sale via tender in a field near Bristol, owner imported them back from the Falklands. I went to have a look at them for spares for mine, unless someone is desperate to spend a fortune all are scrap/spares. The beige one in the second photo is missing so much of the outriggers that the bulkhead is not connected to the chassis...

• Like 3

Clearly these ones are:

attachicon.gifWP_20161027_16_40_36_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20161027_16_37_48_Pro.jpg

They are up for sale via tender in a field near Bristol, owner imported them back from the Falklands. I went to have a look at them for spares for mine, unless someone is desperate to spend a fortune all are scrap/spares. The beige one in the second photo is missing so much of the outriggers that the bulkhead is not connected to the chassis...

Makes me even more tempted to get a series 3 to go alongside my Discovery....just need to win some lottery money first!!!

• Like 1

Yes these Falkland ones have been discussed on various Landie sites, a bunch of rust buckets that some unsuspecting bidder will buy then have to spend a fortune on. Better to get a reasonable MOT'd UK one then go from there. Think about it, the Falklands is an island with some wild weather and any vehicle is only ever a few miles from the sea, all that salt in the air, might as well park on a beach.... With the tide coming in.

Dave Franks

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments. Next year we will have owned the Landie for 25 years, it came with a six month MOT but we did it up to Concourse in the 90s and did the classic car shows winning a few pots on the way. It was used as a second car for a while then the original chassis got so bad that a new one was needed or at least big welding repairs for the next MOT. Started selling a load of 'old' train stuff on Ebay to get a new chassis. Now 'Daisy' (due to the reg DSY) is going back together with various new or overhauled parts like fuel pump, gearbox,, transfer box, diffs, wheel bearings... You get the idea. I'm hoping the original spray job I did on the body will be okay after a good polish up as I don't fancy doing all that again.

I know of quite a few of us railway modellers who have or are interested in old Landies so this post isn't too OT.

Anyway this was Daisy first time round in 2001 at Billing Landrover show.

post-10324-0-61807900-1477820990.jpg

Dave Franks.

• Like 11

..... Think about it, the Falklands is an island with some wild weather and any vehicle is only ever a few miles from the sea, all that salt in the air, might as well park on a beach.... With the tide coming in...

You'd think that GRP/plastic-bodied vehicles would have done well in an environment like that.

Yes these Falkland ones have been discussed on various Landie sites, a bunch of rust buckets that some unsuspecting bidder will buy then have to spend a fortune on. Better to get a reasonable MOT'd UK one then go from there. Think about it, the Falklands is an island with some wild weather and any vehicle is only ever a few miles from the sea, all that salt in the air, might as well park on a beach.... With the tide coming in.

Dave Franks

Agree Dave, spares only, there was some pretty serious rust in them unsurprisingly, although some bits were better than I expected. I reckoned only 1 was viable to be restored with a new chassis.

Even cars such as Reliants can suffer from chassis rot, fortunately they a simple to repair.

SE5 & 5a Scimitars have steel reinforcing in the sills sandwiched inside the fibreglass (separate from the chassis sill rails, althought though they like rust as well). Should that steel manage to get damp the results are predictable. It's a similar story with the integral roll hoop unfortunately.

Still wouldn't mind another one though- would have to be a manual with overdrive though this time.

Nice work on the Series 2 Dave, coming together very nicely.