RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

A couple of sensible items in the collection of the Western Heritage Museum in Saskatoon.

A 1959 Series 63 Cadillac Coupe de Ville:

post-1771-0-09938400-1484003189.jpg

And a 1948 Chrysler New Yorker:

post-1771-0-31335400-1484003192.jpg

Plus one silly one. This car was powered by gas generated by, from the description on the information plaque, destructive distillation of straw. (The writing on the balloon says 'STRAW GAS'.) It did work, and ran for a short distance in a couple of tests. However, it was reckoned that a full balloon contained about as much energy as one gallon of gasoline. So - not a world-changing idea. 

post-1771-0-24950600-1484003649.jpg

• Like 10

Plus one silly one. This car was powered by gas generated by, from the description on the information plaque, destructive distillation of straw. (The writing on the balloon says 'STRAW GAS'.) It did work, and ran for a short distance in a couple of tests. However, it was reckoned that a full balloon contained about as much energy as one gallon of gasoline. So - not a world-changing idea. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20170106_144245329.jpg

If they filled it with helium it might make a nice 'autoship'...!!  :)

Keith

Definitely - not silly!

.. gas-powered buses are a common sight in Reading these days.

British Gas (that was) carried out 'bonfire' tests in the early 1990s on lightweight composite cylinders for CNG vehicles (Compressed Natural gas).  We did have one spectacular failure (an overseas manufacturer) where one one end of the cylinder took flight and still had significant energy left after travelling a few hundred yards. 

I believe there are recharging facilities in some parts of the country.  I think minimal alterations are required to vehicle engines but boot space has to be sacrificed.

Ray

Quite a few old Landrovers are running on LPG these days and whilst the MPG is slightly less the cost is much less. Someone I used to know converted his long wheelbase Landie to LPG and reckoned he got the equivalent of 40 to the gallon going on cost alone. His problem then though was the nearest garage for LPG was ten miles away,

Dave Franks.

Not as silly an idea as it might sound, although straw gas clearly wasn't the best source.Many vehicles were converted to run on gas during WW2 (think L Cpl Jones's van!) and gas-powered buses are a common sight in Reading these days.

The Germans used vehicles that used carbon monoxide generated by burning charcoal to power vehicles; it was known as 'Producer Gas' IIRC

• RMweb Gold

The Germans used vehicles that used carbon monoxide generated by burning charcoal to power vehicles; it was known as 'Producer Gas' IIRC

Common on buses in many British cities in the war, Birmingham, Glasgow and London certainly had them

9889507.jpg

• Like 2

Common on buses in many British cities in the war, Birmingham, Glasgow and London certainly had them

9889507.jpg

The bus with the Gas Producer Trailer in this photograph is ST174 - probably the most photographed one of them all.

634 gas trailers were built,  to be used with ST double deckers, and 10 T type single deckers. Interestingly London transport was involved in another  'dabble' with the technology in 1952 when STL2676 was converted to run on gas as an experiment by the Ministry of Fuel and Power. The bus was 'converted' by Neil & Spencer of Leatherhead.

Les

Edited by Unicorn1

£50K for a 912?Crazy days! Guy in work offered me one for 3000 about 10 years ago, but for some daft reason he'd painted it matt black & I decided I couldn't be ar5ed to respray it back to a proper colour....!! 

Keith

• Like 1

£50K for a 912?Crazy days! Guy in work offered me one for 3000 about 10 years ago....

The 912s were the "poor relation", being 4-cylindered. Being lower powered, they should have been less of a handful, so I'm not entirely sure how the driver in the West Hampstead (West End Lane) accident got it wrong......unless he was hooning it. The close-up photos show the car is LHD.

Anyone who knows that stretch of road will remember there's a zebra crossing, after which the restaurant is the first premises on the left. It would have been fairly busy at that time, as traffic builds up towards the end of the school day.

Anyhow, the crash investigators will have a fair idea.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

The 912s were the "poor relation", being 4-cylindered. 

Yep, but a lot of them now have rather more power, having ended up with 911 transplants and used for historic rallying. I can't remember the spec of the motor the guy I worked with had in his, but I do recall it was a fair bit more than standard as he had intended to take it drag racing!

In standard trim with less weight in the tail than a 911, the 912 handles better than it's 'more desirable' big brother.... I'd love one!

Still unable to post links but there are some fab clips of classic 911s and 912s on youtube. Aside from Porsches of course there are many fantastic old car vids, Harry Metlcalfe's 'Harry's Garage' is well worth a look, particular favourites are his epic 1,400 mile trip across the Alps in his Lamborghini Espada, a similar one in his Countach and two lovely old Jags, his early XJ-S (bright yellow with Kent alloys, very nice) and modified XJC. Jay Leno's Garage has some corkers too, as well as his own vast collection he features other enthusiast's cars, everything from a Mk1 Cooper S to Lamborghini Miuras via steam powered contraptions and muscle cars. Great stuff.

A friend has a 120 he bought several years ago for a similar sum. He considers that the 120, 140 and 150 models have stayed about the same value whereas E types have gone up considerably. It's possibly because the E is better known to the casual car enthusiast investor (usually known as bankers or similar) looking for something to put their money into.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone have £65,000 to spare?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A chap who lived round the corner from us had an XK120 he had bought new and kept it for many years - I think it was only finally sold when he died and the house was sold, by which time the XK would have been well over 25 years old with very low mileage on the clock as all he did with it for years was keep it clean and polished. 

• Like 3

A chap who lived round the corner from us had an XK120 he had bought new and kept it for many years - I think it was only finally sold when he died and the house was sold, by which time the XK would have been well over 25 years old with very low mileage on the clock as all he did with it for years was keep it clean and polished. 

In other words, just like a household ornament, only much bigger.