The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

An acquaintance of mine was a big fan of ex-police bikes - his last one was a K1100 LT. He was forever trying to get me to ride pillion on it, but I'm just not that trusting.....!

Sensible chap (both of you :)). Although none of my BMWs were ex-Plod, I was introduced to the breed by a brace of ex-police bikes owned as staff transport by an organisation I used to belong to. Their massive competence, remarkable longevity (both had 250,000 miles on the clock by the time I made their acquaintance) and surprisingly affordable running costs ensured that when I was looking for an easy to live with older litrebike, the K was top of my shortlist.

That and the fact that the K100RS in all black looks like it should have been a Bond villain's bike :D.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ex-police bikes are generally a decent buy, high mileage but well maintained, and reasonably thrashed but not ridiculously so.  They also have goodies like high output alternators and better suspension sometimes. 

The only 'new' BM twin I have ridden was an R1200GS Adventure - despite being almost 5'11' I needed a step ladder to get on it.  OK to ride, comfort and handling good, but looked like all the insides are on the outside. Ugly as a box of frogs.

• Like 1

Here it is with hydraulic fittings

attachicon.gifblock.JPG

That looks a huge improvement over the original product and take it the pipes are flexibles.

Are you connecting directly to the pump and anti roll bars or jointing with compression fittings?

Either way you can assemble the tricky bit off the car and simply offer it vup[ and connect.

Well done ..let me know how it goes.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

That looks a huge improvement over the original product and take it the pipes are flexibles.

Are you connecting directly to the pump and anti roll bars or jointing with compression fittings?

Either way you can assemble the tricky bit off the car and simply offer it vup[ and connect.

Well done ..let me know how it goes.

Dave.

I am picking up the other pipes this weekend, compression onto the pump pipes about 1m up from the block.

Will remove all old stuff then replace

So I've been told, but I never really noticed it, finding mine no worse than any other straight-4 I've ridden (they've all had a bit of a secondary tingle). Maybe my perception was warped by the fact that, immediately prior, I'd been riding MrsB's (real) T100 and Commando, the former shaking quite fiercely when thrashed and the latter, though smooth once rolling, appearing to be one of those old stereoscopic images at idle :D.

The thing with Commando's was that the Isolastics holding the engine Gearbox and swingarm to the frame had to be properly adjusted or the whole thing would vibrate terribly, mine was retrofitted with the later ( and easy to set up) Vernier adjustable type, rather than the early nasty old shim type. Smooth as silk once moving but a strangely satisfying shake at idle.

At one point the replacement engine for the old 360 degree twin was going to be a Cosworth designed 270 degree parallel twin, but the then boss of Norton wasn't convinced that it would be any good and ultimately went with the rotary.

Yamaha eventually picked up the idea of a 270 degree parallel twin with the TDM and TRX 850's. Which are brilliant - I was so impressed I bought one  and still have it. I also had a Triumph Thruxton for a while but just couldn't get on with it, I prefer the TRX.

Lotus Cortinas too.

The Lotus is a clone, they were only ever offered as 2 door models by Ford although legend has it that Lotus did have a custom job converted from a standard model.

• RMweb Premium

The Lotus is a clone, they were only ever offered as 2 door models by Ford although legend has it that Lotus did have a custom job converted from a standard model.

Possibly a 4 door GT with a paint job .

post-6765-0-35202500-1494616834.jpg

• Like 6

I do not know what was going on, but whilst driving north from Hexham to the Borders today, a number of classic cars were heading south. They were all in a section of road from Wark to Simonburn in Northumberland. As I said I was driving and my camera was unavailable. Anyone know what was happening?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do not know what was going on, but whilst driving north from Hexham to the Borders today, a number of classic cars were heading south. They were all in a section of road from Wark to Simonburn in Northumberland. As I said I was driving and my camera was unavailable. Anyone know what was happening?

Seaham car show was today.  A pal posted his Yank Tank there!

• Like 3

In my 'cool' days about this era, late fifties, Crestas and Zodiacs were the cars of choice.  I had a Velox similar to the Cresta shown and for some reason sun visors were de rigeur along with head lamp visors.  I added similar accoutrements to my Zodiac and the Vanguard of the same period.  Big engines, bench seats, column shifts; no little pimple cars in those days, we wouldn't be seen dead in those !  I rather think the idea was to make them look more American and fit in with the music,  films and other images of the era.

Brian.

• Like 3

Service & MOT time for my 1973 Rover P5B

Dropped her off at my mate's in Warrington on Monday, took the train home to Wigan.

Phone call at 11.30 this morning - She has MOT passed, & service done. Couple of advisories that come up every year - minor things, oil leak & slight exhaust blow. Quick walk to Wigan NW & straight onto a Pendolino for the 8 minute or so trip to Warrington. Trip home up the M6 was quite a bit slower, but she kept up with traffic, 60 - 70mph. Funny, the exhaust had stopped blowing when I got home !!! Must get a stainless steel one next year.

Quick wash wipe & polish & back in her den as rain clouds are looming !!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 7

Talking of the 50's and Zodiacs how about this photo. Early 60's nice little old lady walking past a Zephyr and in the background a scrapyard office. All is not what it seems, look at the Zephry closely. Someone is stting in the drivers seat reading a paper and note the small second ariel on the rear wing, old bill? The scrap office was the base for Charlie Richardson a gangland boss. Still, would love to see that little scene on a model.

post-13564-0-12656700-1494981448.jpg

• Like 15

Talking of the 50's and Zodiacs how about this photo. Early 60's nice little old lady walking past a Zephyr and in the background a scrapyard office. All is not what it seems, look at the Zephry closely. Someone is stting in the drivers seat reading a paper and note the small second ariel on the rear wing, old bill? The scrap office was the base for Charlie Richardson a gangland boss. Still, would love to see that little scene on a model.

attachicon.gifarticle-2206380-151CFD33000005DC-240_634x538.jpg

Seemingly taken from the front garden of a house. Perhaps by one of Richardson's gang. 

An internet search on Richardson turns up a Daily Fail article, which includes the photo above.

Seemingly taken from the front garden of a house. Perhaps by one of Richardson's gang. 

An internet search on Richardson turns up a Daily Fail article, which includes the photo above.

New Church Road in Camberwell has changed a lot over the decades, but I'm guessing this is the approximate location today, with Leslie Prince House sitting on the site of the scrap dealer.

• Like 1