RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Most of the cruising is over for this week but there are still some out there tonight...

post-12815-0-34340200-1495390837_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-66234900-1495390838.jpg

Kev.

• Like 9

I've had some of these Hella period parking lamps knocking around for a while waiting to be fitted to the S, not sure how they're meant to be wired up yet but they look the part...

post-7638-0-73036600-1495454720.jpg

post-7638-0-41699400-1495454739.jpg

• Like 4

They used to come with a plug and socket (2-pin, which today would be the standardised cigarette lighter socket instead). You plugged them in when parked at night. Most were window clip-on type, but I got a couple of those Hella ones and hard wired them on my Austin A30.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Been a bit of a car day today, first of all I finished sticking some posters to some posterboards for a bloke down south. They are for the side of a GPO minor postal van:

post-8375-0-36503800-1495541875.jpg

Got to finish making some more boards to mount this beauties on for a bloke with a GPO Yellow Engineers Minor:

post-8375-0-62830000-1495541937.jpg

Then I tackled this bit of rot on the Wifes Minor (Dot):

post-8375-0-42869900-1495541986.jpg

Nothing too bad, but it ment that the engine steady bar wasn't, and was also creating a rattling sound in the saloon. So it was cut out and a bit of new steel welded in. Not the prettiest job, but as its a b*gger of a location to get at with the engine in, it will do:

post-8375-0-35595800-1495542135.jpg

At least she now doesn't rattle, and theres half a chance that the engine won't end up through the radiator...

Andy G

• Like 16

They used to come with a plug and socket (2-pin, which today would be the standardised cigarette lighter socket instead). You plugged them in when parked at night. Most were window clip-on type, but I got a couple of those Hella ones and hard wired them on my Austin A30.

I wonder if those parking lights were able to drain the battery overnight?

I wonder if those parking lights were able to drain the battery overnight?

From memory, they were either 5w or 2w bulbs. So yes, with the state of batteries we had back then (or at least I did, they never lasted more than 2 years), they did drain the battery. Don't forget, with dynamos and electro-mechanical regulators, charging was never as good.

Stewart

We were down in the Cotswolds this morning and popped into Toddington for a shuftie at Dinmore Manor, in the car park were seven Swiss registered Morgans!

Yes, the Swiss have always appreciated classic cars, but are not as nakedly aggressive collectors as the Dutch!

^^

One of my friends who lives and works in Zurich owns an Aero Eight (plug ugly, in my view), but I don't think he'd drive it back to the UK just for this!

A few years ago some MGTC owners shipped their cars over from the US for a tour of the UK. One of the advantages of being open topped with fold down screen was a special frame could be put in the container so that they could use the height of a high cube container to "double deck" them to make the shipping costs manageable. Still expensive though.

• Like 1

The parking lights are more for the period looks than being of much practical use, I shan't be leaving the car parked up anywhere during darkness except in my garage..!

still see them in regular use on cars parked outside houses on the Hayfield road out of Newmills unlit 40mph section of A road vehicles required to display lights to front and rear after dark mainly modern versions but one or two are clearly vintage items 

• RMweb Premium

Had a trip to Sandy today in Dot and for a change noticed a large number of classics about.... The first was a 60's corvet near Ely, then a MGB with the hood down near St Ives, closely followed by a E Type. Then a Morgan plus 2 at St Neots.

I went to watch the trains at Tempsford Crossing, and while eating my pork pie a TR8 came passed, and did a u turn in front of me, and then planted his left foot hard against the floor, leaving long black lines on the road....

While watching the trains, in one of the rare moments that the barriers were up, a G plated Vandan Plas Rover (one of the boxey ones that Richard Bucket in 'keeping up appearances' drove) came over the crossing.

On the way home the only classic I saw was an ex-GPO yellow Moggy Van..

Andy

• Like 4

... and then planted his left foot hard against the floor, leaving long black lines on the road....

I can left foot brake, but must admit I've never tried left foot accelerating....!!

Keith

A couple of Austins, first ones at Balmoral Show,

post-6979-0-15380500-1495887351_thumb.jpg

The second Austin 7 (1925?)  has arrived at a friends workshop for some mechanical tweaking with severe instruction to retain the bodies patina.  It is used in various trials.

post-6979-0-78827400-1495887371_thumb.jpg

Perhaps these are to old for this topic.. 

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 12

Some nice old cars!  This time of year, summer eventually arrives over here and so its time for collectors to bring their cars out for an airing.  Recently a Triumph TR3, and an MGA showed up around the harbour, top down, blonde optional.  Also several 'fifties American cars including an immaculate '57 Olds, made their appearance but there was no car show which usually brings them out on the street, so it must be the weather.  I was driving my '95 Lincoln MK8, which in a few years will be eligible to join in.

Brian.

• Like 3