Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

An accident on this hill in 1924 when a pedestrian was seriously hurt led to a ban on such events on the public highway.

Until the near future. A new law allowing for road closure orders for motorsport events has recently been passed & the first such order for a stage rally in Essex next year has just been granted. Many clubs are apparently interested in organising closed road rallies and hillclimbs

Edited by keefr2

^

I just realised that there weren't any traffic lights there back then.....

Come to think of it, Dublin's main thoroughfare, O'Connell Street and O'Connell Bridge didn't seem to get any traffic lights until the early 1970s. I often wonder how all the traffic sorted itself out before then.

• Like 1

Mebbe a bit OT but there have been 'illegal' horse trotting races for 'big money' on our main roads here in the North East for many a year - with 'celebrity' Jockeys spirited in from far and wide just for the event. I learnt about this in detail from a pair of very passionate Geordie-Irish stonemasons while they were remaking an old ornate pillar chimney of ours.

The first you might be aware of a race (say on a Sunday morning) is that you will be stopped by a police-car on the exit from a roundabout to a stretch of dual carriageway for perhaps 10 or 15 minute, then mysteriously you are waved on through.

Cars seen vanishing from the scene may be lavish classic old Yanks. - Plymouth Furys seem much favoured.

dh

Until the near future. A new law allowing for road closure orders for motorsport events has recently been passed & the first such order for a stage rally in Essex next year has just been granted. Many clubs are apparently interested in organising closed road rallies and hillclimbs

dont they already have them for the jim clark rally 

dont they already have them for the jim clark rally

Indeed they did, although the future of that event is now in doubt, and they also have them for the Tour of Mull.I don't know what the difference in the law is for the Jim Clark, while the Mull is not on the UK mainland. The MSA has been campaigning for years to get road closure orders for the rest of the UK mainland.

K

Indeed they did, although the future of that event is now in doubt, and they also have them for the Tour of Mull.I don't know what the difference in the law is for the Jim Clark, while the Mull is not on the UK mainland. The MSA has been campaigning for years to get road closure orders for the rest of the UK mainland.

K

didnt they have some road closure orders for some stages around hull for rally gb one year or is the memory playing tricks ? think mull is similar to iom and ulster under a different system 

• RMweb Premium

I doubt that that anywhere in Benfleet or Thundersly can be used, the hill in question is now largely residential. There are some steep climbs on the other side of the A13 that are signed 'Unsuitable for motors' that are both steep and poorly surfaced but most if not all exit directly onto the A13.

didnt they have some road closure orders for some stages around hull for rally gb one year or is the memory playing tricks ? think mull is similar to iom and ulster under a different system 

Don't know about stages around Hull, but would doubt it, as apparently the main problem in England and Wales was being able to suspend speed limits - I've never understood how top bicycle races get around that as they certainly exceed the limit in many locations! Maybe the Hull stages were in stately home grounds or public parks as they were often used...

Mull I believe is as you say, but despite some googling, I haven't been able to find why the Jim Clak could get road closure orders....

Keith

CAnnot recall physical 'road closures'.....unless the odd small street was temporarily shut?

The military training area at Leconfield used to be used now & then for rally stages,,,,,[even, motor shows!!]....until insurance issues reared their ugly heads....Those smooth tarmac roadways were very useful. Those organisers who liked to camp out the night before, were well advised not to go for late night walkabouts....Night drive training meant they fell foul of convoys of lorries driving around without lights! Training did not stop just because there were a few motor caravans parked here & there.....one gent even complained about how dangerous it was for these 'lorries' to drive about without lights...as he nearly got run over walking his dog [where he shouldn't have been!]...I believe he got 'quietly spoken to'.... Heathen Safety eventually had a field day.....

• Like 2

CAnnot recall physical 'road closures'.....unless the odd small street was temporarily shut?

The military training area at Leconfield used to be used now & then for rally stages,,,,,[even, motor shows!!]....until insurance issues reared their ugly heads...

Many military roads still used for stage events - around half a dozen every year on Epynt & 4 or 5 on Caerwent. Believe Otterburn is still frequently used too...

Epynt also holds a two day hillclimb every year, reputed to be the longest on the UK mainland.

Keith

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having visited the Eden Project a couple of times and seeing several similar disused claypits in the same area I was thinking that one of these would make a suitable venue for hill climbing/rallying events. Of course facilities would have to be provided for competitors and spectators and that might prove too expensive.

They close off roads for bicycle and running events. Seems strange that they don't allow it for cars.

I mentioned cycle races in my post #6134 above & don't know how they manage to get around the problem of exceeding the speed limit which apparently was the sticking point with motorsport events & needed the change in the law - do many runners exceed the speed limit - even 20mph...?

I mentioned cycle races in my post #6134 above & don't know how they manage to get around the problem of exceeding the speed limit which apparently was the sticking point with motorsport events & needed the change in the law - do many runners exceed the speed limit - even 20mph...?

Don't road traffic restrictions apply just to motor vehicles? I am guessing that pedestrians can go the wrong way up a one way street for example, even if there is no footpath.

Were the photos taken on a Reliability Trial?

Sort off. It's the The Beamish Safety and Reliability Run. It's based on the reliability trials of the 1920's & 30's with cars built up to 1958 allowed to enter. It runs through the Durham and North Yorkshire dales and fords with just over 150 route miles . There are observed and timed hill sections for those taking part (note they're not competitors) and quite a few following have their times taken too. The Route has changes slightly missing out some of the "better " parts.

It's an excellent event for car watching as it's very informal and the "corporates" haven't got their hand on it. Loads of classics turn out to follow the route with plenty of locals turning out to watch the event from roadside usually accompanied by a good picnic.

A timed section near to Keld.

post-508-0-53387400-1511575853.jpg 

I collected a friend and his young son to take them to the Southend show this last Saturday. My friend lives in Benfleet and on the return journey he directed me on a different route to avoid a difficult right turn onto the A13. The route he took me was down Church Hill, Benfleet which I had heard about as it was a hill climb venue up until the 1920's.

Here's Capt. Keddie goading his Silver-Hawk up Church Hill in 1921.

post-508-0-92854600-1511576190.jpg

On of the Keddie's families former Bentleys was for sale at this year's Goodwood Auction.

https://meridianae.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/s-24120-0-3.pdf

Church Hill still warranted a mention in the 1962-3 RAC member's handbook. Then still an unclassified road.

post-508-0-65394700-1511576289.jpg

A promo ad from the same publication. I'll post up a few more if anyone's interested.

post-508-0-85306500-1511576358_thumb.jpg

An accident on this hill in 1924 when a pedestrian was seriously hurt led to a ban on such events on the public highway.

As others have now pointed out, not strictly true as this pic of two 6R4's having a bit of a rumble on the closed A38 in 1986 show. Admittedly it needed a new act of parliament to allow this to happen.

post-508-0-69162400-1511576429.jpg

Somehow Birmingham, Cummerbunds, snow, fags & Patrick Neve feels so 1970's

Listening to the Brummies comments is quite funny.

This chaps pics may be of interest.

https://www.brumpic.com/revisiting-the-birmingham-superprix/

It must have been even more interesting if you had Lucas headlamps....

Nah! Lucas headlamp lenses gave a super bright headlamp beam with anti-dazzle kerb cut off as long as you used, to quote Charlie Croker, "quartz iodine" bulbs.

But never, never mention the politically motivated fiasco that was the 1966 Monte.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/21/newsid_2506000/2506863.stm

I guess you've never driven an early Porsche or Vee Dub fitted with 6 volt electrics. It was genuinely was safer to hold a torch out of the side-screen even though 1950/60's torches were ultra unreliable.

Here's one for Rug. Tartan Red/Black fitted with 100/55 watt "Don't dazzle...  dips".

post-508-0-79821900-1511576924.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

Don't road traffic restrictions apply just to motor vehicles? I am guessing that pedestrians can go the wrong way up a one way street for example, even if there is no footpath.

They apply to bicycles too (though many cyclists don't seem to know that!). 

Don't know about stages around Hull, but would doubt it, as apparently the main problem in England and Wales was being able to suspend speed limits - I've never understood how top bicycle races get around that as they certainly exceed the limit in many locations! Maybe the Hull stages were in stately home grounds or public parks as they were often used...

Mull I believe is as you say, but despite some googling, I haven't been able to find why the Jim Clak could get road closure orders....

Keith

think the jim clark is down to a specific act of parlaiment but its a very expensive way of doing it hence racmsa pushing for road closure orders .hill climb or stage over holme moss would be interesting !

think the jim clark is down to a specific act of parlaiment but its a very expensive way of doing it hence racmsa ...

Being pedantic, it hasn't been the RACMSA for quite a few years, the MSA now being a completely autonomous organisation separate from the RAC - who I think happily washed their hands of motorsport...!! 

• Like 1

Spotted recently:

post-6742-0-32505700-1511603998_thumb.jpg

Two cars made more interesting, perhaps, by their miserable state. Well, the early 70s Clubman is certainly beyond all but the most skilled restoration, though the mid 80s 3-series isn't too bad on the face of it (the amount of rubbish thrown into the back of it suggests it hasn't been driven in a while!)

• Like 5

I once had a 1071 Cooper...for a very short while....back in the early 1970's.  It went like  a roller skate, had no visible suspension, and would, today, contravene all industrial H&S rules concerning interior noise.  Literally one's retinas would detach after half a mile!

After downing half a bottle of aspirin to quell the resulting headache of a drive to Kent, one would not be in a fit state to return!

Great fun, but needed a stern constitution to drive over any great distance...which could only be achieved rapidly, as it was incapable of anything approaching a 'potter-about'.

Went back to my Sprite after a month!

• Like 5

Being pedantic, it hasn't been the RACMSA for quite a few years, the MSA now being a completely autonomous organisation separate from the RAC - who I think happily washed their hands of motorsport...!! 

shows how much notice ive been taking lol rather fallen out of love with it since it became a procession of visually similar shopping trolleys that wouldn't last much beyond day two of a proper rally GB to sanitised for my liking   

Many military roads still used for stage events - around half a dozen every year on Epynt & 4 or 5 on Caerwent. Believe Otterburn is still frequently used too...

Epynt also holds a two day hillclimb every year, reputed to be the longest on the UK mainland.

Keith

do miss the winter stages at knowsley safari park that was a fun event 

• Like 1