The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

When I first arrived in Perth there were 120Ys all over the place. They were one of the staples of the poverty stricken and/or newly licensed. Then, over the next 10 years or so, they all disappeared, at least partially hastened by the booming economy meaning that most people could afford (or get a loan to buy, which isn't quite the same thing) something better. Their environmental niche is now held by things like the Hyundai Excel and its heirs and successors.

Worst cars i ever owned for rot (until i got this Bedford Rascal) were a 1980's Fiat Uno and a couple of Fiat Panda 4x4's swmbo once owned :no:  and very closely followed by a late '70's Datsun 120Y coupe', the best Datsun car i ever had rust proof wise was a 2ltr Datsun Bluebird, an '80's boxy looking 50th anniversary version in two tone Dark met' Blue and Silver.....the most reliable pickups i drove were also Datsuns a mid' '70's 1500, and the later  '70's 1800 with column change and later a bigger Cabstar was really realiable & comfy to drive. :jester: I've got to say in my opinion i think that compared with other era's not many '80's and 90's every day user cars are or have been saved! :no2: Plenty of sporty '80's & '90's etc have been saved..... not my cup of tea at all only as i could never aspire to afford any.  :cry:

Big job breaking out this Spring :jester:   

post-31611-0-75155400-1516618615_thumb.jpg

Worst cross member/outrigger repair in history or wot! :O

post-31611-0-26455400-1516618733_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

One for Horsetan - the French are coming...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 030872.jpg

I'd forgotten that the Renault 5 was launched way back in 1972...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 030272.jpg

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 110468.jpg

[attachment=954498:AUTOCAR 150672.jpg

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 060772.jpg

You can't go far wrong with a hairy chested Capri...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 250271.jpg

Hazelmere, Bucks.

Bought a Triumph Dolomite from a garage on the Hazelmere crossroads and swapped it the next day in the garage opposite for a Daff ( the model with the 'Push Here' handprints on the tailgate and factory option brakes. )

All I can say is, we live and don't learn.

Allan

• Like 2

Don't I know it, got a hire car while mine is having the side resprayed after some clown drove into it.

Not a bad car but seems huge with massive amounts of metal and a rear window like a letterbox

The paradox is that increased safety makes drivers less safe...

• RMweb Gold

So you'll be buying yourself a Daewoo Matiz then?

When I worked for central trains there was a chap who had a silver one of those I kept trying to persuade him to fit two sunroofs so it would look like a toaster!

Really good example of how fat and bloated modern cars have become!!

I reckon nothing came more bloated than the Jaguar 420 G.

I had one of those magnificent beasts when I was installing the model railway ( 50ft x 25ft and nobody came to see it ) at Woburn Abbey and stoved all four lower door panels  in when trying to park between two of the Duke's Land Rovers. He wasn't very happy. The bottom half of the car bulged way out wider than the top half.

Also, the exhaust fell off its rear mountings when you hit a bump and fell back on again when you hit another ( also had an A35 van that did the same after I rammed into the back of a Reliant three wheeler on the Whalebone Lane roundabout, Romford ) Both front wings flapped in the wind  and it leaked alarming amounts of petrol, oil and water from every orifice with gay abandon. In all, it was the biggest car I ever had and also the biggest heap - but I loved it nevertheless and even tried respraying it with a  Flit gun. Don't ask.

Allan

• Like 2

Speaking as an owner, over time, of several minis - and following a current Countrynman, whilst followed by another, approaching Tesco in Dingwall this morning in my Kia Picanto - it was rather like sitting in my old mini between two London buses - BIG and B l o a t e d simply doesn't begin to describe it!

Edited by shortliner

....and the bulk of all the safety stuff makes the interior hardly more spacious than the cars of the Capri's era.

Girders in doors, foam protection for side impact, etc. Add to that the "mine is bigger, faster, more expensive, etc. than yours and that is what you get. 

Speaking as an owner, over time, of several minis - and following a current Countrynman, whilst followed by another, approaching Tesco in Dingwall this morning in my Kia Picanto - it was rather like sitting in my old mini between two London buses - BIG and B l o a t e d simply doesn't begin to describe it!

American  cars seem to be getting smaller and ours getting bigger. Also seems to be the same with butts as they steadily spread wider and  heavier thanks to the likes of McDonald's triple burgers with cheese and jumbo fries...

Allan

• RMweb Premium

One for Horsetan - the French are coming...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 030872.jpg

I'd forgotten that the Renault 5 was launched way back in 1972...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 030272.jpg

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 110468.jpg

[attachment=954498:AUTOCAR 150672.jpg

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 060772.jpg

You can't go far wrong with a hairy chested Capri...

attachicon.gifAUTOCAR 250271.jpg

Hmm Avenger

• Like 4

I read on Pistonheads that there are very few Avengers taxed and MOT'd these days, they were everywhere when I were a lad.

Some more of those ye olde magazine covers - I love the simple graphic nature of these, when I've got my garage sorted I'm going to frame a few and bung them up on the walls...

post-7638-0-00777100-1516710836_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-54152900-1516710857_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-49209500-1516710910_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-62121300-1516710969_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-12501100-1516710991_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-21501500-1516711019_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-88599700-1516711053_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-72631200-1516711084_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-80370200-1516711105_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-30783200-1516711133_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Fuel station queue 1979 - a few oldies there those Datsuns used to be everywhere, all gone now to rot I suppose.

attachicon.gifHarton.jpg

Presumably during the tanker drivers' strike? We had a Minivan at the time; drove from Stoke to Llanelli for Christmas via Brecon with non-functioning odometer and fuel gauge (and no heater), filling up every time we found a garage with petrol.

There was a garage on Leek Road which had petrol, but didn't advertise their prices; someone attached a steel hawser to his Landy, then to a pump, and drove off.

• Like 1

Sometimes we never learn. Built almost sixty years ago on the site of the Empire Theatre Woolwich and now a Premier Inn, there was the Dagenham Motors Auto Stacker. A spectacular failure from an earlier generation.

post-508-0-88924100-1516718656_thumb.jpg

Read more about it here:

https://thamesfacingeast.wordpress.com/tag/woolwich-polytechnic/

and the Meccano model(?) in operation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bnyf4

or for those that prefer youtube zip this forward to 15 minutes.

The only place I ever saw an automated car park work was on Thunderbirds!

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3