RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

...The author and philosopher Albert Camus was killed when travelling in a Facel Vega driven by his publisher and close friend, Michel Gallimard.  The car was estimated to be travelling at 112mph when the driver lost control and hit a tree, Gallimard died five days after the accident.

Other reports say 70mph (about 112km/h). The photos of the wreck are quite sobering; the car split in two, with the engine block being lobbed some yards down the road. All this down to one defective tyre, possibly two. It was said that Gallimard couldn't actually afford to maintain his Facel properly.

Could be an Austin America.

Isn't memory a weird thing - it must be 50 years or more when my late dad had a Hillman Super Minx with rubber mats that had 'Austin of America' embossed on them! I'll never know where they came from or why they fitted a Hillman so well! But I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday...!!

Keith

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Think I had one of these once and apart from obviously being a Vauxhall, I'm not sure as to what model.

All I remember, is that it had train carriage style straps with which to lower the windows, that I got off my Uncle Fred who's interpretation of a "Small leak" was a cracked block.

Never got it repaired and swapped it with a Ford Eight that had a cracked everything. This wonderment ended up in the Village Duck pond which had disappeared altogether beneath a blanket of fog on a bend outside of Caddington, Beds on the way to work.

Anyone know what it is?

12364_1.jpg

My grandfather had the successor model, a 1933 Light Six (aka 14/6) in black. He had it pre-war, possibly from new, and it lasted until 1964 or possibly '65. My uncle, a teacher and skilled mechanic (worked in a garage in the school holidays) kept it running and in good condition through several MOTs until something failed that couldn't be sourced from a local scrapyard.   There were nets attached to the roof lining to hold gloves, newspapers etc.  Said uncle ran a Daimler of similar vintage.

• Like 4

My grandfather had the successor model, a 1933 Light Six (aka 14/6) in black. He had it pre-war, possibly from new, and it lasted until 1964 or possibly '65. My uncle, a teacher and skilled mechanic (worked in a garage in the school holidays) kept it running and in good condition through several MOTs until something failed that couldn't be sourced from a local scrapyard.   There were nets attached to the roof lining to hold gloves, newspapers etc.  Said uncle ran a Daimler of similar vintage.

Thanks for that, Pete.

Now that you mention it, the one I had was a six cylinder job and though I would have dearly liked to have kept  it, stitching up a cracked block in those days would have cost more than what the car was worth.

However, and having another web search, this could have been the model instead !

1afb3f02ac203066d523891c32611f64.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

More nostalgia...

East India Dock Road in the early '70s...

post-7638-0-16778600-1520540062.jpg

Blenheim Crescent near Ladbroke Grove, 1967...

post-7638-0-95613600-1520540110.jpg

Someone cutting a dash in his rakish BMW through the mean streets of London surrounded by British fare...

post-7638-0-41332600-1520540186.jpg

Meanwhile, up country in downtown Handsworth, Brum...

post-7638-0-15465600-1520540348_thumb.jpg

Had a stroke of luck this week, managed to bag a reasonably priced copy of the Brooklands Road Test book on the Citroen SM, I've seen it on ebay at ridiculous three figure sums recently but got it for £21.95 on Amazon. Futuristic, exotic road going space ship based reading material ahead me hearties  ;) 

• Like 10

post-6893-0-61005700-1520544887_thumb.jpeg

A nice tidy v6 Capri visiting us for a suspension upgrade , it’s got its original velour interior, original caspian blue ‘livery’ with recaro seats and the owner just managed to source the pepper pot wheels to really bring it back to ‘stock’ . It’s just missing it’s “injection” stickers on the boot and wings - that’ll finish it off nicely

Jon

Edited by 43179
  • Like 12

attachicon.gifDC32317F-0670-4643-8728-0822A215C69A.jpeg

A nice tidy v6 Capri visiting us for a suspension upgrade , it’s got its original velour interior, original caspian blue ‘livery’ with recaro seats and the owner just managed to source the pepper pot wheels to really bring it back to ‘stock’ . It’s just missing it’s “injection” stickers on the boot and wings - that’ll finish it off nicely

Jon

Lovely!

Ah yes, Humber Supersnipe.

Had a couple of them and even had a go at hand painting one once. But least said, the better.

The second one I put through the auction at Eastbourne but the engine disintegrated  in a cloud of smoke when the driver revved it up at the block.

Anyway, a Traveller bought it for a hundred quid, spat in my hand, took a quid back saying it was for "Good luck " Hope he had good luck rebuilding the engine ! 

As a possible matter of interest, Roots bought the engine rights off Armstrong Siddeley, shortened the stroke and shoved it into the Snipe's engine bay. One of  Roots better decisions I thought and  it went really well, reached a hundred with apparent ease and returned 20mpg. Smashing cars. Wished I sill had  one.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

More nostalgia...

East India Dock Road in the early '70s...

Blenheim Crescent near Ladbroke Grove, 1967...

Someone cutting a dash in his rakish BMW through the mean streets of London surrounded by British fare..

Meanwhile, up country in downtown Handsworth, Brum...

Had a stroke of luck this week, managed to bag a reasonably priced copy of the Brooklands Road Test book on the Citroen SM, I've seen it on ebay at ridiculous three figure sums recently but got it for £21.95 on Amazon. Futuristic, exotic road going space ship based reading material ahead me hearties  ;)

Some great pictures as usual Nidge.  Sadly Ladbroke Grove always reminds me of the tragedy there.

The picture of the BMW seems to also include a coat hanger aerial!

• Like 1

You do see quite a few Super Snipes and Hawks at car shows here, but it's rare to see one on the road.  The driver of this one looked like he was in his 80s.  Maybe it was a one owner car - that would explain the condition, as it looked original rather than restored.

Edited by Wolseley

And some more Humbers at the All British Display Day (I haven't tagged all my photos yet, so I missed these the first time around).  I took some of the photos in 2011 and some in 2015 - I haven't been for a couple of years, but I might be there this year.

21902464070_c6eed7b13b_h.jpg

21469536083_870f5c934a_h.jpg

And, just for a bit of variety, here's my car at the 2011 event:

34997604024_ce5c5b5aa0_h.jpg

• Like 10

Had a couple of them and even had a go at hand painting one once. But least said, the better.

The second one I put through the auction at Eastbourne but the engine disintegrated in a cloud of smoke when the driver revved it up at the block......

Paging Allan Downes. Paging Allan Downes Edited by Horsetan