RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

.....weren't all (or very nearly so) the Invacars reclaimed by the government and scrapped? Presumably the engines went in the skip with everything else. No loss in the case of the Villiers powered cars but a shame about the Steyrs.

That was the idea after Motability came in. One Invacar was bought by a theme park and modified to haul a trailer - this one has also been rescued by another Autosh*te forum member, and he has managed to get it running too, but it needs a new front end moulding as that was sawn off by the theme park!

There is a farm / yard in Sussex which had loads of them lying around in various states of disrepair, and that's where the Invacar (and a spares Invacar) in the video above came from.

This is where an old Austin Princess comes to the fore....keep it polished, stick a spurious flag on the front, fluttering in the  breeze, and it can be parked absolutely anywhere!

After all, it could be the Mayor, or some other Civic dignitary, on a visit...couldn't it?? Cannot see a triffictraffic warden taking the risk it isn't...?  :)

Or, quite legitimately, using a parent-and-child space......?  [The argument, should a challenge be raised, is that surely it is preferable parking there, than taking up two whole spaces in the main car park?]

Of course, being able to get away with parking in the Directors' car park at work is good...:)

• Like 1

I remember as a 6-7 year kid in the '60's going with my Dad when he was taking my WW2 badly injured Uncle to pick up a new Invacar, i'm sure it was up near Blackburn where we went for it that day? I do remember how as kids we called them very un pc wise to say these days 'Spa%1 chariots' and you could spot and hear one coming from a mile away and how kids would take the wee-wee as it went passed, thankfully times have changed and disabled folks don't stand out anymore when driving passed. I wonder if they were all made in sky Blue? 

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2

From the sublime to the ridiculous - in complete contrast to the sky blue Inva-car, Rod Stewart's '71 Miura SV 'JLL 831K' is now fully restored (again!) and as I type this the owner will no doubt be enjoying himself far too much as he's blasting his away across Europe bringing it back to Blighty after eighteen months in the hands of the factory restoration team at S'ant Agata Bolognese...

post-7638-0-56967900-1521557530_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-74792800-1521557559_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-19728000-1521557622_thumb.jpg

He fully intends to put some miles on it taking it to shows up and down the country, rather than stashing it away where no-one can really appreciate it for what it is  ;) 

• Like 12

From the sublime to the ridiculous - in complete contrast to the sky blue Inva-car, Rod Stewart's '71 Miura SV 'JLL 831K' is now fully restored (again!) and as I type this the owner will no doubt be enjoying himself far too much as he's blasting his away across Europe bringing it back to Blighty after eighteen months in the hands of the factory restoration team at S'ant Agata Bolognese...

attachicon.gifLAM MIURA ROD #003.jpg

attachicon.gifLAM MIURA ROD #004.jpg

attachicon.gifLAM MIURA ROD #005.jpg

He fully intends to put some miles on it taking it to shows up and down the country, rather than stashing it away where no-one can really appreciate it for what it is  ;)

I'm not jealous, no sir, not at all, not jealous in the slightest.... :nea:

And now for some hot CX and Beta action:

Now that's my kind of film... I've still got a dozen or so French and Italian flics just like it too get through on DVD, most are older than this one though. You can't beat a bit of Delon!

• Like 1

A spot of gratuitous Mini Cooper S / Beatle content... George and Ringo arrive at Abbey Road in George's Radford in December '66 for another night time session to work on 'Strawberry Fields Forever'...

post-7638-0-17283700-1521734716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Chris... I posted the very same pic on another forum not half an hour ago...!

I nicked it from the FB group vintage girls and transport Nidge which some kind soul on here put me onto.  Some great pictures on there and 'some' of them are of cars! :O

Maybe you know who put it on there Nidge! :mosking:

• Like 2

A spot of gratuitous Mini Cooper S / Beatle content... George and Ringo arrive at Abbey Road in George's Radford in December '66 for another night time session to work on 'Strawberry Fields Forever'...

attachicon.gifGH LGF 695D.jpg

Less romantically Wife had a Home Office Child Care officer placement in the actual forbidding looking Strawberry Fields Hoime (L'pool) in 1962 in her cherry red Mini Minor - she'd set her heart on a bright red Se7en but they had a 6 month waiting list compared to the MM - sitting waiting in the showroom for £500..

Wherever she went she found crowds clustered round like it was a P3 Ferrari.

dh

• Like 4

Reminds me of a a primary School Teacher i had in the mid' 1960's, a certain Mrs Seddon, she had a lovely Burgendy/Plum coloured Austin Badged Mini Minor Seven....well that's what the very long looking chrome boot badge said, i remember it also had the curly Austin Grille and chrome moustache' as well...i can say i never saw many other Minis in that colour! I do remember seeing plenty of the booted Elf versions in that colour though.

• Like 3

And now for some hot CX and Beta action:

Back in the 1970's had a CX just like the one in Horsetan's clip -and the same colour.  Most comfortable car I have ever driven - and the most unreliable.  It seemed to spend as much time at the Citroen agent as on the road.  The long wheelbase probably helped with the decent ride. I recall the engine was a mass of fan belts driving all sorts of bits of kit.  And the rocker switch which required the driver to cancel the indicators after turning corners.  Took it over to France in the 70's and was amused when parking in a French town centre - one lad on his bike shouted to his mate 'Regardez le Citroen Anglais'.  It must have been a rarity then for them to see a right hand drive version in its home land.     The foot brake also was a bit of a shock.  A small pedal with a short travel distance - nearly had my front seat passenger through the windscreen the first couple of times I braked.    

I nicked it from the FB group vintage girls and transport Nidge which some kind soul on here put me onto.  Some great pictures on there and 'some' of them are of cars! :O

Maybe you know who put it on there Nidge! :mosking:

Guilty as charge m'Lud, I posted it in that group yesterday! There are some great pics on there, well worth a prolonged shuftie...

Meanwhile at the NEC today.... had a really nice chat with one of the Marcos GT owners who kindly let me sit in one of the cars on display, very cosy cockpits but still roomy enough for me being five foot two and a bit... definitely on the radar now I've found out more about them...

post-7638-0-23192700-1521834669_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-31354900-1521834751_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-13402500-1521835995_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-76594600-1521834823_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-46440200-1521834849_thumb.jpg

Not to mention the Series 2 Lotus Europa, I had much longer chat with the owner of this '71 example who's had it for forty years, it looks like a barn find but is on the button and he drove it up from Surrey... sat in it for quite while and found it very comfortable indeed, it fits like a glove...

post-7638-0-81496900-1521835063_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-71711000-1521835087_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-35491500-1521835108_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-05474600-1521835132_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-62689800-1521835154_thumb.jpg

In the auction area is this rare Bertone designed and Cleveland V8 powered Iso Lele Sport, one of only eleven RHD examples...

post-7638-0-42210300-1521835381_thumb.jpg

And this '69 RR Mulliner Park Ward two door Silver Shadow...

post-7638-0-66041300-1521835427_thumb.jpg

In complete contrast to this wee little fellow...

post-7638-0-30320800-1521835497_thumb.jpg

A homage to the 1973 911 2.7RS based on a 1981 SC...

post-7638-0-88644300-1521835620_thumb.jpg

Lovely '75 CX...

post-7638-0-64017500-1521835638_thumb.jpg

Back on the Lotus club stand, this gorgeous Esprit 2.2...

post-7638-0-32887400-1521835802_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Worst kit car build ever ?

18jalhh35s8dxjpg.jpg

Perfect for punting errant pedestrians out of the way....

Volvo Amazon Kombi - with its original roof rack . A personal favourite of mine -  both to look at and to drive - although this old girls is a little tired and waiting for an engine rebuild plus overdrive .

attachicon.gifIMG_31831.JPG

Jon

Guy Martin (aka crazy TT Rider) has one of these.  Only his has 788 ponies, and he's seen 205mph on the racetrack :O

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/guy-martin-on-his-volvo-fastest-car-in-britain/