Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

A check of the registration shows it as being a maroon Reliant.  It obviously has four rather than three wheels though - didn't they make something called the Vantique that looked a bit like this?

Those are the Mini Marcos and GT I referred to. The other GT looks to be in much better condition. They were still there earlier this year. I'll look out when I drive up next there next. It is a good excuse to attend the local classic car meet at the Stratford St Andrew village hall with the MGB. I only learned of  that last year but couldn't attend.

I hadn't noticed the other car to the right of the plot. It is usually quite "busy" on that section of the A12, with the service station opposite, etc. so it pays to keep your eyes on the road. The radiator has a hint of early Austin 7, but with later wings. Perhaps Wolseley has identified what may have been the "donor" car for a "reproduction". Somewhere a little further south along the A12 there are at least two old vans used as "advertisements", which may also be repro.

• Like 2

Jaguar XJ12C -  in , what almost looks like rail blue - quite an appropriate color for a 70s 'Jag. 

Lovely, although I'm not a huge van of the jaguar v12 in anything other than the XJS.  The XJ 'coupe's , IMO handle better with the lighter straight six up front

post-6893-0-19672100-1522309490_thumb.jpg  

• Like 7

A check of the registration shows it as being a maroon Reliant.  It obviously has four rather than three wheels though - didn't they make something called the Vantique that looked a bit like this?

Now I can see it on a bigger  screen the registration is obvious, so, yes, quite possibly a replica. However, I will say in my defense that the proportions of radiator and wings are a lot better than on most pseudo-vintage efforts, and the colour looks to be the sort of overall rust that genuinely ancient steel derelicts take on over time.

• Like 1

Now I can see it on a bigger  screen the registration is obvious, so, yes, quite possibly a replica. However, I will say in my defense that the proportions of radiator and wings are a lot better than on most pseudo-vintage efforts, and the colour looks to be the sort of overall rust that genuinely ancient steel derelicts take on over time.

From the photos I have seen of Vantiques (and I've only seen photos, not the real thing) they look more convincing from some angles than others but they certainly seem to have got the proportions of the wings and wheels right, which is where most replicas fall short.

I notice much use of "CarCoons". It's almost like being in some sort of biology lab, with specimens floating in jars....

Sometimes we liken it more to kennels - some of the guests often leave puddles on the floor ....

I remember a recent mention of a blue Jensen Interceptor which spent the best part of three decades rotting away on someone's front drive. All offers for it were refused. When it was finally removed, the A and C pillars had snapped off and the floorpan/chassis was looking a bit bendy on the low-loader. Not sure how much was salvageable, but it didn't look like much was left. The owner has apparently put a Bentley on the same spot, and that's going nowhere either....

The Interceptor was literally scooped onto a low loader and taken away, the new owner paid £1500 for it to add to his collection of junk lying in his field! It's sad enough as it is, but it was a very early Vignale built car making it extremely rare. I drove past the Bentley last week, it's parked where the Jensen used to be, if I'm still driving in another thirty years time it'll no doubt still be there, sinking into the pavement.

From this...

post-7638-0-26024100-1522316634.jpg

To this...

post-7638-0-73727100-1522316619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One is definately a Mini Marcus, the one with its rear towards the road. Rear side windows and smaller wheels/arches give it away.

Based on the Reliant Kitten.

Viewed on Google Maps street view from slightly further north, it shows a Mini Marcos, Marcos GT, Peugeot 130, Merc SLK (I think) and another GT behind the bins. The paintwork on that one looks in better condition.

• RMweb Premium

The Vantique seems to have the same problems as the donor vehicle, poor electrics. I had a Reliant Kitten van and it suffered from the same problem, exacerbated by there being very little metal above the chassis to use as an earth.

I had to go to Brum for my rules today, on the way home M6 was a nightmare and I ended up taking a diversion where route took me past Sunningdale Classics very close to the Sutton Park line, so I thought I'd pop in for sly old shuftie at the '71 Lotus Europa they've got for sale...

http://sunningdale-classics.co.uk/vehicle/1971-lotus-europa-s2/

post-7638-0-47094300-1522423760_thumb.jpg

In the flesh it's much nicer than I was expecting, quite startling actually as the colour and the Dunlop alloys really stand out, other than a couple of small areas of mismatched touch up paint and a loose armrest inside it's a beauty. The photos are a little deceiving too as it sits a lot lower than it looks. I only had time for a very brief look but it's very tempting although I'm still hoping to have a look at a couple of Marcos GTs as soon as I can.

• Like 10

Jaguar XJ12C -  in , what almost looks like rail blue - quite an appropriate color for a 70s 'Jag. 

Lovely, although I'm not a huge van of the jaguar v12 in anything other than the XJS.  The XJ 'coupe's , IMO handle better with the lighter straight six up front

attachicon.gifIMG_E33081.JPG  

While I would never really own a Jag (too unreliable), as a teenager I had a real hankering for one of those XJ12Cs. I wanted one in the true 1970s white-with-black-vinyl-roof scheme. :D

Over here in Oz, there was a bit of a market for XJ6 and XJ12 re-engining with Chevy 350 (cubic inch) V8s. The V8 was around the same weight as the engines it was replacing, so didn't affect the balance of the car, but gave more power and better reliability.

• Like 1

Nidge knowing how you have a thing for the Granada I thought you might fancy taking this one on.

attachicon.gif29594983_2115304355176983_1304514328173776442_n.jpg

Oh and don't bother with all of the witty replies I have just seen them all where I nicked this from.

I thought Nidge would be more interested in it if it was an ex- Sweeney car rather than a Special Branch one....

The Vantique seems to have the same problems as the donor vehicle, poor electrics. I had a Reliant Kitten van and it suffered from the same problem, exacerbated by there being very little metal above the chassis to use as an earth.

Solution being to knit a new loom with an integral earth wire. A bit of maths or clever guesswork prevents overload.

Solder all joints.

Simple model railway skills given a new application. In my case two Duttons and a Rochdale GT, although to be fair, the latter never quite made the road.

• Like 2