The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

So what'll happen if the government pass this proposed law to fine people who park on pavements? Exemption for such pre-existing spaces?

I think Brent and Barnet Councils will probably cobble together a solution that manages to satisfy nobody.

I believe that strictly speaking it is illegal to park on any highway as it comes under" causing an obstruction", but like lots of things, it's impossible to enforce?

That's to do with lack of funding, I think. I don't see much in the way of traffic policing nowadays so either there's not enough money to pay for it or they've all gone undercover.

• RMweb Gold

Plenty in this part of North London.

When I saw some the other week returning from Ally Pally I wondered what might happen if a passing buggy or wheelbarrow happened to scratch the paintwork of a car parked like that?

And this is interesting too

http://www.pedestriansafety.org.uk/highway_code_pavement_parking.html

Edited by The Stationmaster

Probably a 'needs-must' scenario, especially with the lack of spare funds?

A bit of lining paint to segregate off a 'pedestrian' area on the 'footpath'....perhaps? Where does it say, the pedestrian area must be bordered with kerb stones?

Cities could do worse than adopt the system once used in Tokyo?  [Whereby car ownership was tied to 'somewhere to put it?]

Mabe even limiting the physical size of cars in a city?

WHo knows?   I'm all right , Jack......

• Like 2

That looks like really good value for money, very nice, there were still quite a few of these knocking around here into the '70s as everyday transport.

More random Lotus stuff... the late Ronnie Peterson tries out a Twin Cam Europa at Silverstone in '73...

post-7638-0-91739800-1522664628.jpg

post-7638-0-47166100-1522664649.jpg

post-7638-0-26601400-1522664666.jpg

post-7638-0-65760100-1522664686.jpg

Five prototype Europas codenamed 'P5' were built based on Type 47 racers before Series 1 production started up in '66, the indicators below bumper level weren't carried over though...

post-7638-0-19607000-1522665179.jpg

post-7638-0-47506600-1522665198.jpg

Proper bummff...

post-7638-0-81237000-1522665587_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-51567000-1522665627_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-09957300-1522665644_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-52491200-1522665660_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-30357400-1522665682_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-45618700-1522665707_thumb.jpg

Elans, Plus 2s and Europas at Hethel, c.1970...

post-7638-0-56715200-1522665991.jpg

• Like 6

I took my old banger classic car for its MOT last Thursday. In 22 years I've never seen it show an ABS fault. Amazing how that light came on turning into the test station and refused to go back off. Typical. I wouldn't mind, but the car is too old for OBD-II so finding out what the car thinks is the cause is something of a mystery.

A moot point, as it failed on emissions. just over the threshold for both HC and CO. The theory I have is that three years of being laid up and never more than the occasional run up to temperature and shuffle onto the drive and back has resulted in a build up of cack in the system. Probably isn't helped by having used the same tank of petrol for those three years and gaining six gallons of premium only on the half mile journey to the test station without enough distance to run it through. It's going to have an oil and filter change and an Italian tune up (the mechanic will drive it like he stole it on trade plates for 20 minutes when he nips out for his lunch) will hopefully fix that. There are no fault codes coming up for the ECU on my flash code reader.

Classic cars; who would have them?

Edited by Jenny Emily

Although it seems unlikely as the car was running when it happened, ABS faults can be triggered by something as simple as low battery voltage. My 2000 model year BMW (motorcycle) had that problem when it's battery was on its way out. On starting it would fire up OK but the battery voltage would drop due to the load of the starter and trigger the ABS fault. I'd then have to switch off again and restart to clear it. Always hoping that the now warm engine would take less effort to start and so not repeat the problem of course.

Although it seems unlikely as the car was running when it happened, ABS faults can be triggered by something as simple as low battery voltage. My 2000 model year BMW (motorcycle) had that problem when it's battery was on its way out. On starting it would fire up OK but the battery voltage would drop due to the load of the starter and trigger the ABS fault. I'd then have to switch off again and restart to clear it. Always hoping that the now warm engine would take less effort to start and so not repeat the problem of course.

It has a brand new battery fitted, as the old one was so lazy I had to put it on charge each time I tried to start the thing and that never threw up a fault. I suspect that it will be dirt in a wheel sensor, but it really annoyed me that it chose five minutes before an MOT to show itself.

I read recently that a similar thing can happen with 996 and 997 model 911s and Maserati QPVs due to the battery running down through lack of use, so you're in good company Jenny!

Watching the latest new car adverts on TV it strikes me that in nearly all of them the lifestyle associated with the hipsterish audience they seem to be aimed at is being pushed to the fore, with social media connectivity and somewhere to put your choco-mocca-latte-with- rasberries-on-top way and above any engineering or physical attributes the car itself has to offer. The 1969 brochure bummff for the Lotus Europa has a different take on it, although there is a very slight element of 'lifestyle' to it...

​'''World Champions have a better way... Lotus Europa, the natural translation into practical roadgoing terms of the Championship winning Lotus Tradition. Designed and engineered as a practical, no compromise, two seater car, ​the Europa can carry you, and one selected companion many thousands of miles in luxurious, smooth riding comfort wit hall you require for a holiday tour or normal daily use.

​Engineered for safety, styled for performance, the Lotus Europa tells the world quietly who you are, it is not brash, just an example of your good taste and discrimination. Europa can take you to an all out 115mph on your Continental holiday, storm the passes like a rally car or tour slowly through a picturesque village turning heads with its advanced undated styling. Equally at home outside the most exclusive club, discotheque or cathedral, the Lotus Europa is a young car for all ages. EUROPA - the better way by Lotus''.

​Where do I sign...? :D  

• Like 2

Don't mention mot's at the moment. Have you seen the latest wonderful piece of legislature to hit the motorist ?

No - all I've heard recently is the relaxation of the rules for cars 40 years old. Grumble... it used to be free tax for 25-year-old cars until that stingy Mr Blair came in, but at least classic cars owners are getting something now...

Anyway, do tell, but in the meantime, here are a couple of oldish cars I've spotted in the North Birmingham area recently:

post-6742-0-46283200-1522694454_thumb.jpg

post-6742-0-94734300-1522694610_thumb.jpg

post-6742-0-80388600-1522694709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve K
  • Like 7

It has a brand new battery fitted, as the old one was so lazy I had to put it on charge each time I tried to start the thing and that never threw up a fault. I suspect that it will be dirt in a wheel sensor, but it really annoyed me that it chose five minutes before an MOT to show itself.

My ABS light came on a few weeks ago, then went off again, only to reappear a day or two later. When the light went off the brakes juddered as if the ABS was actually working?

Took the car and had it's memory read, came back as the offside front sensor. Taking the wheel off revealed the problem pretty quickly, CV joint boot had come adrift, not split, and coated the sensor in grease. Refilling the joint with grease and refitting the boot followed by a thorough cleaning of the ABS sensor sorted it. At least it saved me a jiggered CV joint

• Like 6

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5569383/Tougher-MOT-rules-leave-British-drivers-open-2-500-fine.html

Yes it's the daily mail but looks like the benefit of an early mot has been removed

According to my son's mate who owns our local MoT station it has actually always been the case but is another 'non enforced law'. Makes sense when you think about it, as once a car fails the test it's deemed to be unroadworthy & therefore to drive it away from the centre after a failure is technically illegal, irregardless that there might still be a month left on its previous cert...!!

Easy answer is to take the car in for a pre MOT inspection a month before it is due, okay it will cost you for 2 MOT visits (one pre and one proper) but it circumvents this 'new' legislation which is just another way of ripping off the poor old car owner.

Edited by royaloak

Reading through the new items to be tested, it seems to me that many competition cars won't be able to pass the test without some serious modifications;

For example; The vehicle will be inspected to check that: the mandatory seatbelts are in place, they are suitable for the vehicle, they are in a good condition, they work properly and they are attached securely - Most road legal competition cars won't have 'mandatory' seatbelts fitted - the standard fronts replaced by harnesses & the rears removed completely

Seats

These will be inspected to check that: the driver’s seat can be adjusted, and all seats are securely fitted and that seat backs can be fixed in the upright position - Most rally cars have both front seats fixed for added safety & the rear again removed completely (unless it's a road rally car, either modern or historic)

I hope some sensible exemptions will be made for such cars, or I can see our Mini finally getting scrapped, I'm fed up enough with the amount of money endless daft MSA rule changes are costing without the added expense of getting a car that's safer than an equivalent road car through its MOT....