The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Just got back from a good day out, first a quick trip down to Cowley for an informal '50th anniversary of BL' gathering and then back up to Gaydon for a shuftie, lots of photos to sort through but here's a couple of quickies... a Triumph TR3 special which received a lot of attention...

post-7638-0-35311700-1524417096_thumb.jpg

And a rather pretty AC Cobra '289' replica which I would gladly have brought home with me...

post-7638-0-20590600-1524417257_thumb.jpg

Edited to add - on the way down to Cowley we caught up with a gorgeous metallic green Gordon Keeble GT on the A34, sadly the camera was in the boot of the car otherwise I'd have snapped it like a good 'in!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 12

That Triumph looks like it might have been to Bonneville Sal Flats.

steve

I posted the same photo on Pistonheads earlier and another poster confirmed that it's actually the 'Jabbeke' TR2 speed record car driven by Ken Richardson ;) 

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from a good day out, first a quick trip down to Cowley for an informal '50th anniversary of BL' gathering and then back up to Gaydon for a shuftie, lots of photos to sort through but here's a couple of quickies... a Triumph TR3 special which received a lot of attention...

attachicon.gifDSCF2883.JPG

And a rather pretty AC Cobra '289' replica which I would gladly have brought home with me...

attachicon.gifDSCF2926.JPG

Edited to add - on the way down to Cowley we caught up with a gorgeous metallic green Gordon Keeble GT on the A34, sadly the camera was in the boot of the car otherwise I'd have snapped it like a good 'in!

I like the hatch on the second picture

We were looking after our grandsons yesterday and, at one point, the younger one (he's 7 months old) was rather restless, so I took him out to look at the traffic going down the main road - he loves watching the buses go by.  In the space of a few minutes, two tilt tray trucks went past, heading in opposite directions.  The first one had a 1957 Chevrolet, red with a white roof and stripped of all glass and most of the chrome - it looked like it was on its way home after being resprayed.  The second tilt tray had an immaculate silver Citroen CX2200 on it.

• Like 2

I note the Alfy Romeeo wheels? The owner has left the centre caps in situ....[snake eating a baby]......Wonder if it has been caught in a sandstorm? Or got too near a dragon??

Alfa Romeo wheels have the same PCD 5x98 as CXs, so are a straight swap for those wanting to get rid of metric wheels and tyres.

• Like 1

That is one beautiful car Horsetan and a credit to you Sir.

Superb example of French advanced engineering in its day and not a lot can match it even today.

Especially the little quirks, like random electrical faults and slipping auto 'boxes, as only French mass production knows how.

Credit goes to the six previous owners of this one; they never threw in the towel. The last owner in particular did most of his own servicing and kept it in a dry shed. It still hasn't reached 80,000 miles yet. I'm just lucky enough to have found one that's relatively solid, running, and doesn't need much doing to it....as well as not extortionately-priced.

Citroën managed to flog about 1.2million CXs in 15/17 years of production. It has never attained anywhere near that figure with any "big Cit" (XM and C6) since.

The British CX survival rate hasn't exactly been anything to write home about either; there are supposedly just eight of the non-turbo GTis (all automatic, mine included) still running this year, and 23 GTi Turbo/Turbo 2s. Maybe 150 CXs of any description overall.

And, sure enough, 'tis now raining.

1902 white steam car seen today, now a regular sight on the London -Brighton vintage car run, and now fitted with a modern disk brake after the original drum broke up and the car ran away on a hill. Sorry for the poor pic!!

post-369-0-48297000-1524941320_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I was lucky enough to attend the 'Prisoner' convention at Portmerion Village N. Wales last Sat' whilst away on a short break, and one of the original Mini-Mokes was in attendance. I was told it was found in Holland. The only reason it was identified as an original was that in one scene in the filming of the cult series the number plate was left exposed when the 'Taxi' plate was accidently left off. Interesting that the wood effect was done by using 1960's kitchen Lino', the owner had saved a small piece of the original and showed it to me which he kept in a folder with all his excellent resto' pics'  

post-31611-0-89995000-1524984764_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-45127600-1524984793_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-51506400-1524984819_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-19527300-1524984861_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-99162800-1524985082_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-07311900-1524985134_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

1902 white steam car seen today, now a regular sight on the London -Brighton vintage car run, and now fitted with a modern disk brake after the original drum broke up and the car ran away on a hill. Sorry for the poor pic!!

A case of safety being more important than authenticity. 

I well remember how cars were even in the 1960s with drum brakes all round; get them wet and you basically had no brakes at all.

I also well remember as a child growing up in Crawley, going out annually to watch the veteran cars on the London- Brighton run.

• Like 4