Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Seen making sedate progress earlier today was a two-tone green 1951 (approx) Armstrong Siddley saloon. Not seen one in years. Sorry no pics as I was driving in the opposite direction.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Minilites look good on most cars of the period. Back in 72 my dad bought a yellow celica and fitted slotmags but I think minilites would have been better.

I like the modernised minilites rover did for the MGf, if these had been the right stud pattern I would have put a set on my MG ZR

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A pal had a Trevi - I always thought the dash looked like it had been machine-gunned!

Saw a wedding car on Friday, and exact match for the maroon and black Rover (60?) posted on here regularly.  Don't suppose you have been to Fraggle Rock this week? 

• Like 2

Is that still a 3cyl two stroke Ivan?

This was one of the "modernised" ones, with a VW 1272cc engine in it and a new front end, similar to what was done for the Trabant, the last ones of which had a VW 1093cc engine from the Polo.

post-6879-0-93834200-1531686766_thumb.jpg

It was all too late, as the newly-liberated East Germans soon went out and bought secondhand Western cars instead.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Obviously a lot more reliable but not much character.

My mates Dad had original one in the early 80s , I remember going for a day out and he had to stop about every 10 miles to clean the plugs!

Obviously a lot more reliable but not much character.

My mates Dad had original one in the early 80s , I remember going for a day out and he had to stop about every 10 miles to clean the plugs!

That's reliable? I went out in the MGB for a thirty mile trip today and didn't have to stop and clean the plugs once. Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's reliable? I went out in the MGB for a thirty mile trip today and didn't have to stop and clean the plugs once.

I meant the Wartburg was reliable with the VW engine but lacked the character of the old two stroke

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nope.

Fancy an orange Lada 1600?

attachicon.gifDSCF3622.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3623.JPG

If it's as solid as it looks it'd be a great basis for a historic rally car!

The Lada is now very rare in the UK. A few years ago when you couldn't give one away Russian seamen used to buy them up, put them on board their ships, strip them for spares and push the remains over the side.

Back in the 1970's, I used to live in Bridlington [i know, I know.......    :(      ].......the home of Satra Motors, the Lada importers [at Carnaby]......Ladas were two a penny...especially as Lada employees got some sort of a discount.  The original tyres they came in with..[which were swapped for other rubber]....were often for sale under the counter...rubbish in the summer, brilliant in the snow....I lived next door to the fella who fitted the centre consoles! Got paid more for that, than he did doing proper mechaniking.....

Now, the real rarity in Brid was the Moskvich......

• Like 2

I had a Datsun Japcrap 120Y because I was offered a good deal on my Ford. It had everything that one would only get in a top price Ford Ghia. Unexciting but reliable, it passed to my eldest son and then to my youngest. It didn't go as rusty as some Datsuns I saw. Friend Derek Lawrence's Datsun had a carbuncle of rust right in the centre of the bonnet.

• Like 3

I had a Datsun Japcrap 120Y because I was offered a good deal on my Ford. It had everything that one would only get in a top price Ford Ghia. Unexciting but reliable....

The early Datsun 120Y (the 2-door with its reverse-angled rear side windows) was, for me, very near the pinnacle of the Japanese "grey porridge" designs. The body was more or less prone to fall apart in about eight years, but the mechanicals would go on forever.

A family friend had a 1973 Toyota Celica 1600ST for donkeys' years, and the only reason why she sold it on (for £150!!) was because certain parts of the body had corroded and she didn't want to spend any more cash on welding. The running gear was flawless.

A few years later, that generation of Celica became sought after, and good ones now top about 10 grand. If only she'd hung onto it....or passed it to my old man.....

• Like 3

The Datsuns with smoke glass windows, radio and heaters and Amstrad music centres with twin tape decks (cool man), radio and vinyl record deck, all wrapped in a unit with glass door made to look like a piece of furniture, were all the rage in the 1970's. So too was gold vinyl wallpaper which was so un-reflective of light that we had to fit larger watt light bulbs to read at night!  Black vinyl car seats that tore the skin of yer back on a hot day and vinyl roof covering designed to make your car look like crap within a few years. Not happy days for car owners. But this jap-crap invasion did force car makers like Ford to wake up and make their cars more rust proof, longer lasting and fitted with useful accessories. The turning point for me (and no doubt many others) was the Focus that could be thrown foot-down into any corner and still come out the other side!

• Like 1

A family friend had a 1973 Toyota Celica 1600ST for donkeys' years, and the only reason why she sold it on (for £150!!)

I'd bought a Mk1 Fiesta XR2 with less than 8000 miles on it from a friend in the model railway club for £500 when it was about 5 years old. His dad (who'd had it from new) had just died and my friend didn't want it (his daily driver was an 850 Mini auto and his 'weekend & special occasions' car was a huge 1930's Lanchester of some description!)

Anyway fast forward a couple of years & the wife wants to buy her dad's hateful Sierra Azura I've mentioned before. OK I says we'll keep the XR in the garage. No, SWMBO says, it'll just clutter up the place. It still had less than 10K miles, was absolutely mint - & she made me sell it to the local MOT centre for £250....!! This was in about 1998, if you can find even a half decent one with 100K miles on now you'll be lucky to get change out of £15000...!! Struggle to get that return from a savings account!

….Anyway fast forward a couple of years & the wife wants to buy her dad's hateful Sierra Azura I've mentioned before. OK I says we'll keep the XR in the garage. No, SWMBO says, it'll just clutter up the place. It still had less than 10K miles, was absolutely mint - & she made me sell it to the local MOT centre for £250....!! This was in about 1998, if you can find even a half decent one with 100K miles on now you'll be lucky to get change out of £15000...!! Struggle to get that return from a savings account!

Not one of your other half's better investment decisions?

• RMweb Gold

More from Woodcote -

A nice Moggy

post-6859-0-03066600-1531761777_thumb.jpg

An extremely nice TVR - not sure which model

post-6859-0-48863500-1531761865_thumb.jpg

And now something completely different - A Ford Model T with interesting bodywork, not sure if it was a factory option or home built!

post-6859-0-50408400-1531762026_thumb.jpg

And from the T to the A, in Roadster form with dicky seat

post-6859-0-27552700-1531762112_thumb.jpg

A lovely (in my eyes at any rate) Morris 8 convertible, smashing little cars

post-6859-0-86268600-1531762266_thumb.jpg

An MG TA

post-6859-0-69791500-1531762359_thumb.jpg

Maybe to Nidge's taste but very definitely not to mine - a later, and far less hairy, Mini 1275 GT

post-6859-0-51221400-1531762507_thumb.jpg

And the sort of thing I was really there for.  Richard Hazell's fully restored addition to a local collector's ever growing collection of steam powered vehicles and an original Burrell Showman's Scenic Engine from the 1930s.  Mr Hazell, a local waste and haulage contractor, also has a unique collection of Sentinel steam lorries including the sole 8 wheeler which is reputedly capable of 60 mph and which regularly runs on roads at 50mph.

post-6859-0-55059900-1531763175_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-48795000-1531763386_thumb.jpg

• Like 15