Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On the subject of the Borders and old cars, here's a photo I took of Bank Street, Galashiels, in 1975:

post-30099-0-89476000-1534858773_thumb.jpg

(I do have photos of Melrose, but there aren't any cars in any of the photos....)

• Like 12

A guy near me owned a real D type version of one of these and paid Crosthwaite and Gardiner to rebuild it. I was privileged to see it run a few times and was in awe. I think he also had a C type version at one time. The model is of the AU C type.

This model is just as awesome.

and the real thing for comparison.

Now that's modelling.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

http://sabresix.co.uk/sabrehistory.htm

Definitely a Reliant Sabre six....another photo of same car on this site

cbfatpolehillcrop.jpg

Why didn't a car looking like that do well?

I always hankered after a Scimitar - used to lust after them, catching a glimpse as the train rushed through Tamworth. That was penned by David Ogle I believe.

dh

Edit (about Porcy's Auto Union above)

Gosh - that would be Nigel Corner - he also ran a prewar Dick Seaman W154 Benz at the same time !

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3

Looks like a Chevy V8 under the bonnet hood

The guy in the red jacket in the first picture was trying to work out what the motor was, but couldn't.

• Like 1

Porcy Mane posted a link to the "Zig Zag Road a couple of miles away on the other side of Box Hill" well I happened to be there in the early sixties with my Ilford Sportsman and witnessed the following sequence

they pushed the Jag over the edge and it rolled sedately down the hill, so they had to retrieve it and have another go with the same result they then resorted to using a little muscle which resulted in it rolling over and stopping!

post-13586-0-12903100-1535128177_thumb.jpg

more muscle was required and they eventually succeeded in reducing the poor car to the state in the final pic! the film editor must have worn out his splicing machine putting the sequence together 

post-13586-0-18062700-1535128197_thumb.jpg

If anybody knows how to get the pics right way up please adjust and let me know how its done. Thanks          Ok now loaded them to Microsoft Office Picture Manager an Hey Presto!

Edited by MinZaPint
  • Like 3

The first of two our 8 sec passes from different camera positions at Santa Pod Raceway, and a rare glimpse of sunlight during a mainly overcast but dry weekend.

The new 15 gallon per minute Enderle fuel pump has done the trick. (Turn up sound volume for effect!)

post-21244-0-50908900-1534927743_thumb.png

• Like 9

The Cooper S passed its MOT with no trouble this morning, musy start using it more really, it's only done about 400 miles since last year's test. Chatting with Nick the tester he mentioned a local old boy who popped in last week to have his his black Series 1 E-Type FHC MOT'ed, he's had it since it was new and never restored it, it's a little tatty around the edges apparently and as he's getting on he's thinking of selling it. He ''thinks it's only worth £15k or so'', he might be in for a surprise so long as some unscrupulous dealer doesn't try it on if he does decide to let it go.

Makes me wonder just what else is lurking in garages in my manor, I know where most of them are round here as they get used quite often but I've never seen the E-Type above out and about anywhere.

• Like 12

That iteration of the Reliant Sabre was directly based on the Ashley bodyshell......[i have similar in my back garden.....a tale of two halves...sadly].....albeit with a more pokey motor than an 1172 sidevalve Ford ...[good though they were]....

Panel fit? 

It's from the 'who cares?' era

• Like 1

The Cooper S passed its MOT with no trouble this morning, must start using it more really, it's only done about 400 miles since last year's test.

If you look back to the photo of my latest MoT pass, you'll see that I've covered fewer than 1000 miles since I brought it back from Stoke last year. It's partly to do with the fact that I only drive it on the Jewish Sabbath, and also the interesting little technical problems that have appeared now and then....

The new battery initially eliminated the capricious key start, but the mistress has gone back to playing hard to get. I'm beginning to think that the starter motor (which the previous owner had installed not long before I bought the car) might be sticky or that it's a bad earth somewhere.

Chatting with Nick the tester he mentioned a local old boy who popped in last week to have his his black Series 1 E-Type FHC MOT'ed, he's had it since it was new and never restored it, it's a little tatty around the edges apparently and as he's getting on he's thinking of selling it. He ''thinks it's only worth £15k or so'', he might be in for a surprise so long as some unscrupulous dealer doesn't try it on if he does decide to let it go....

Unrestored "E"s seem to command noticeably more money at auction than restored ones (and seemingly no matter how good the job). You might remember the news report I posted some years ago, where a very tatty one pulled out of a shed still fetched about sixty grand, whilst two restored ones fetched barely thirty. Must be something to do with the "untouched" factor.

• Like 5

If you look back to the photo of my latest MoT pass, you'll see that I've covered fewer than 1000 miles since I brought it back from Stoke last year. It's partly to do with the fact that I only drive it on the Jewish Sabbath, and also the interesting little technical problems that have appeared now and then....

The new battery initially eliminated the capricious key start, but the mistress has gone back to playing hard to get. I'm beginning to think that the starter motor (which the previous owner had installed not long before I bought the car) might be sticky or that it's a bad earth somewhere.

Unrestored "E"s seem to command noticeably more money at auction than restored ones (and seemingly no matter how good the job). You might remember the news report I posted some years ago, where a very tatty one pulled out of a shed still fetched about sixty grand, whilst two restored ones fetched barely thirty. Must be something to do with the "untouched" factor.

Yes I do remember that - I wouldn't be surprised if the one I mentioned was valued properly at around £100k+, I'm not sure how 'early' it is but it's definitely a Series I 3.8 FHC. The beautiful dark blue Aston DB6 which I used to see parked opposite my middle school's gate as a nipper sold a few years ago for £125 in unmolested condition, it resurfaced again last year with a price tag of £375k after a quick tart up. Bonkers undoubtedly, but understandable too.

It's easy to get bogged down by classic car values, real and perceived, the sad thing being that many of the 'high end' cars are tucked away in storage seeing little of the road, it can't go on for ever though and there's been a lot of chat recently about the market slowing down.

Anyway, enough about values, time to put some Cooper S rubber on the tarmac  ;) 

• Like 2

Don't remember which year (it's an age thing!) but working in the technical dept. of a supplier, I was treated to a conducted tour of the Jensen factory in the West Brom area. It seemed that the press dies for the bodyshell panels were past their sell-by date and no two were the same, So after welding the panels together, large quantities of lead was used to get the shape approximately to the intended design! Doors in particular were a nightmare to fit!  

Never wanted to own one after that visit!

• Like 2

Don't remember which year (it's an age thing!) but working in the technical dept. of a supplier, I was treated to a conducted tour of the Jensen factory in the West Brom area. It seemed that the press dies for the bodyshell panels were past their sell-by date and no two were the same, So after welding the panels together, large quantities of lead was used to get the shape approximately to the intended design! Doors in particular were a nightmare to fit!  

Never wanted to own one after that visit!

Martin Robey in Nuneaton now owns all of the Interceptor tooling, presses and dies, I think they've invested in upgrading some of the equipment so that new panels and parts are a much better fit than they were back in the '60s and '70s. They also have the entire paperwork archive for these cars which could so easily have ended up in the skip!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Cooper S passed its MOT with no trouble this morning, musy start using it more really, it's only done about 400 miles since last year's test. Chatting with Nick the tester he mentioned a local old boy who popped in last week to have his his black Series 1 E-Type FHC MOT'ed, he's had it since it was new and never restored it, it's a little tatty around the edges apparently and as he's getting on he's thinking of selling it. He ''thinks it's only worth £15k or so'', he might be in for a surprise so long as some unscrupulous dealer doesn't try it on if he does decide to let it go.

Makes me wonder just what else is lurking in garages in my manor, I know where most of them are round here as they get used quite often but I've never seen the E-Type above out and about anywhere.

Going back to the early '70s there was a chap round the corner from us who had a wooden lean-to garage at the side of his house - and kept in it was a Jaguar XK120 he'd owned since new.  I don't know how much road time it did but it was so well polished it had gone right through the surface coat of paint in one or two places but he did still use it every now and then.  It vanished (as did he probably as he was getting on) around the mid to late 1970s.  there was also a Jowett Javelin performing regularly on local roads until the late 1960s and kept in immaculate condition and that was, so i was told, one owner from new.

• Like 4

Yes I do remember that - I wouldn't be surprised if the one I mentioned was valued properly at around £100k+, I'm not sure how 'early' it is but it's definitely a Series I 3.8 FHC. The beautiful dark blue Aston DB6 which I used to see parked opposite my middle school's gate as a nipper sold a few years ago for £125 in unmolested condition, it resurfaced again last year with a price tag of £375k after a quick tart up. Bonkers undoubtedly, but understandable too.

It's easy to get bogged down by classic car values, real and perceived, the sad thing being that many of the 'high end' cars are tucked away in storage seeing little of the road, it can't go on for ever though and there's been a lot of chat recently about the market slowing down.

Anyway, enough about values, time to put some Cooper S rubber on the tarmac  ;)

I'm sure I suggested many posts back that your poor cranking is probably due to volt drop at the starter solenoid, Try fitting a starter relay!

PSA prducts suffer with this fault, lost count of the amout I've added to 205GTI's over the years.