Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

I'm sure I suggested many posts back that your poor cranking is probably due to volt drop at the starter solenoid, Try fitting a starter relay!

PSA prducts suffer with this fault, lost count of the amout I've added to 205GTI's over the years.

Ah, diagnosis by forum! Any such query on the MGOC forum will be answered by several/many differing opinions, some where the poster clearly hasn't read the description of the fault fully.

Likewise, generalisations abound, often giving the uninformed the wrong impression about a product, service or person. And losing count of something is also dependent on your ability to add up.  Ducks (apparently) can count one, two, many, which possibly explains why few of them are accountants.

• Like 2

Ivan, how is the CX's thirst for transmission fluid going?  Is it finally full, or still leaving a trail somewhere?

I think it might have stabilised. The last time it blew out past the dipstick cap was when I floored it on the way to Sh*tefest Festival of the Unexceptional. Until that point the gearbox had reverted to normal and was shifting really well, but flooring it caused the slipping all over again. The dipstick could do with an O-ring on the cap to minimise any blowout.

The 'box took in some more Dexron before the MoT which sort of improved things a bit, but I didn't get round to cleaning the underside and the Aussie examiner did make remarks about it. He did confirm the rest of the underside was remarkably clean for its age (because it was properly undersealed) with little rust showing. Just as well.

I'm going to stick some more Lucas in it, mixed with Dexron III, and see how it goes. I think the 'box could do with a fluid and filter change anyway as I've no idea when it was last carried out. Now that I've found a Citroën workshop in Friern Barnet, just down the A406 Eastbound, I can book in for an annual oil/fluid/LHM service and restart the service history from scratch.....

I'm sure I suggested many posts back that your poor cranking is probably due to volt drop at the starter solenoid, Try fitting a starter relay!

PSA products suffer with this fault, lost count of the amout I've added to 205GTI's over the years.

….They can have a tinker with the starter motor/solenoid whilst they're at it.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Ah, diagnosis by forum! Any such query on the MGOC forum will be answered by several/many differing opinions, some where the poster clearly hasn't read the description of the fault fully.

Likewise, generalisations abound, often giving the uninformed the wrong impression about a product, service or person. And losing count of something is also dependent on your ability to add up.  Ducks (apparently) can count one, two, many, which possibly explains why few of them are accountants.

Ah yes, the car-forum favourite of "all <comapny-x> parts are crap, you should only buy OEM" - regardless of whether the OP had mentioned company X at all. 

Catching up on this thread I realised that I'd snapped Great Central's Montego at the Roadkill @EBC brakes event last November. We were supposed to be going in the Dolomite but it decided to throw all the fluid out of the brake master cylinder a couple of days previous, unhelpfully. Owner of said Dolomite promptly went into a grump and refused to go, so I had a cold solo run up in the dashboardless, heaterless Lada (I was in the process of replacing the seized (off!) heater tap at the time). Another friend managed to roll his Moggy Minor onto it's side on his way in, within half a mile of the venue! Not a very successful day for the Gloucestershire representatives but it was a good show otherwise!

Now, can I remember how to get Flickr to work on here...

42436824830_1953339014_c.jpg

dulcichmontegocombo by brianthesnail96, on Flickr

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 5

Catching up on this thread I realised that I'd snapped Great Central's Montego at the Roadkill @EBC brakes event last November. We were supposed to be going in the Dolomite but it decided to throw all the fluid out of the brake master cylinder a couple of days previous, unhelpfully. Owner of said Dolomite promptly went into a grump and refused to go, so I had a cold solo run up in the dashboardless, heaterless Lada (I was in the process of replacing the seized (off!) heater tap at the time). Another friend managed to roll his Moggy Minor onto it's side on his way in, within half a mile of the venue! Not a very successful day for the Gloucestershire representatives but it was a good show otherwise!

Now, can I remember how to get Flickr to work on here...

42436824830_1953339014_c.jpg

dulcichmontegocombo by brianthesnail96, on Flickr

Thanks for that, it's really my son's car now, he took it to the Roadkill event. I think the photo rather flatters the car, he says when he's got some spare(!) money he'll get the rear end resprayed as it's been in primer for about 15 years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With the Town Hall behind the photographer looking down toward the River Thames I would say.

Interesting Standard Vanguard Estate. Not all that common.

steve

The river is immediately behind the tree on the right of the church.  

The only buildings in that view which are still in exactly the same use are the bank at extreme right, the church, and the building on the left immediately this side of the church which is a private house.  The Catherine Wheel Hotel in in vaguely similar use as it is now a Wetherspoons but does do accommodation.

Alas none of the really interesting cars or other vehicles which could be seen in the town at that time appear in the picture - there was still a locally owned postwar Lanchester 10 in regular use plus a Jowett Javelin and at least one Trojan van.

• Like 4

Can you not use the compressor from some more recent horns.

It maybe that the plates in the horns have stuck together

Ah.... someone on the Autosh*te forum said exactly the same. I wonder if it's worth trying to dismantle the horn trumpets? Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If and its a big if you can get the ends off them there will be two plates . These will need cleaning, then spray with WD and wipe off, these need to vibrate to create the noise.

I've not done it on automotive horns but done it on many railway horns

If and its a big if you can get the ends off them there will be two plates . These will need cleaning, then spray with WD and wipe off, these need to vibrate to create the noise.

I've not done it on automotive horns but done it on many railway horns

I'll get some old newspaper.... just in case bits fly off at random.

• Like 1

Very nice to see what must be a now rare estate version being saved and preserved for the future :) ...and the weather is just as bad there :mosking: I got this medal/coin free with a gallon of Duckhams Green stuff back in Jubilee year 1977. No doubt completely worthless! :mosking:

post-31611-0-23389700-1535288978_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'll only do that if the horns can't be fixed. I'm trying to keep things original (and hopefully not spending too much money).

Horse - if you aren't in a tremendous hurry - this may be of interest  -  https://www.banggood.com/search/air-horns.html - TBH I have no complaints about quality or supply of goods from this site

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

No.1 son asked for a ride out in the Dellow yesterday. [Really, he wanted me to buy him his lunch, a slab of flapjack, from a local tea spot frequented by those who ride [or otherwise? ] motorcycles...]

A nice, somewhat breezy drive around the locality....I observed that, whilst in top gear, at tickover, going through town [ the car is narrow enough to be able to squeeze down the sides of parked cars, yet remain within my side of the centreline, hence no need to 'give way', unlike 90% of over-wide [obese?] moderns?].....I was able to drive slowly down entire residential streets, the side-exit exhaust from a low revving, tuned, Ford sidevalve engine...could set off lines of car alarms!! 

:)   :)

Haven't been able to do that since the days when I could drive a Gardner-engined Bristol VR decker slowly down residential roads....the exhaust thumping away, doing likewise.

Hence, my sedate progress through town could be marked by the trail of excited car alarms!

A bit like that of Johnny English,whose progress at night could be marked by the flashes of speed cameras going off......?

HAve also noticed how, if I open the throttle at the wrong time, when slowly passing cyclists on narrow roads [i always try to pass a cyclist........ slowly....have no faith in the wobbly lycra brigade not to wobble & fall off] .the side exit exhaust can singe the hairs off their right legs.   

Perhaps that last bit should be deferred to the cyclist etiquette thread?  :)

• Like 4