RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Just stumbled across a photo of the 1973 Ro80 I used to have. And that was almost 20 years ago  :O

attachicon.gifdscf0128.jpg

The previous owner, a Mick Willett of Stoke-on-Trent, had done all the hard work of converting it to run on a Mazda RX7 rotary. He ran it for a few years, then died. I bought it in the days when something like this could be had for under a grand. Those days are gone.

Looking at the photo again I notice the ride height doesn't look anything like as high as every other R080 pic I've seen Ivan - was it altered or is just the way the car is sitting on the ground with the handbrake on..?

And what a fantastic looking car it is by the way, it certainly look its age there.

• Like 1

Looking at the photo again I notice the ride height doesn't look anything like as high as every other R080 pic I've seen Ivan - was it altered or is just the way the car is sitting on the ground with the handbrake on..?

It was on its original long travel springs and dampers. I didn't notice anything untoward about the ride height.

• Like 3

Early Alfa boxer engines used a similar setup, and the old Moto Morini V twins...

One of the few benefits of being effin old is being able to read about all these bits of kit (including Zongo, our lovely old horse in Ghana) and think I've been too close to all of them - but SURVIVED !

My basic problem was never having enough spare dosh to support my engineering design pretensions.

dh

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I like autos, make driving so much easier. But they are a very variable thing, some are tougher, some are better controlled.

Must be 4 speed or more, electronically controlled.

My worst experience was a 1.6 3 speed Cavalier, best was V6 Omega with 4 speed.

ZF boxes are very middling, newer 8 speed nice, older 4 speed a little crude. But fitted in places a European GM box would probably wear out in.

I had a breakdown in Hampshire yesterday (fuel supply suspect pump failure) so I had to limp home.

This means no less than 1500 rpm preferable a bit more, idle impossible, full power none existant. Lock up 3rd and 4th were brilliant.

So eventually managed to get onto Salisbury road and 3 - 4 hours later got home, revs always between 1500 and 3500 (no full power)

But it got me home.

The engines injectors are able to suck tractor juice in if over 1500 RPM, just had to get it to catch as the starter will go to nearly 1000rpm.

I keep thinking newish car, but 15 years old later this year and been 3 models since. But funniliy a more long lasting engine than its replacements

It ran perfectly down to Bournemouth as well. And was very economical for a large diesel engined off roader.

And handles well for one too. Which a few times saved dropping revs or lock up.

Took the MGB to the Henham Steam Rally, near Southwold, yesterday. Classic cars heavily outnumbered by tractors, including a 1917 Holt Artillery Tractor. It is not often I am frightened by machinery, having experience of Preistman and Allen excavators as a small person, but that was something I didn't want to get up close to.

The cars were divided into pre and past 1960, with separate display areas some distance apart, which seemed a bit odd. Some nice Lagonda's, Austins and a Slough built Citroen Light 15 in the early stuff. Two very large 1960 Cadillac's in the later arena, both in very fine condition.

post-1191-0-48201900-1537095508_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-89864800-1537095156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 13

...And what a fantastic looking car it is by the way, it certainly look its age there.

Today, it's still cheaper to buy - if you can find one; there are only about 30 on the road this year - and run than the SM.....mainly because people are still frightened by the rotary, even though it's been reliable since at least 1972 and Mazda have long since made it better.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I like autos, make driving so much easier. But they are a very variable thing, some are tougher, some are better controlled.

Must be 4 speed or more, electronically controlled.

My worst experience was a 1.6 3 speed Cavalier, best was V6 Omega with 4 speed.

ZF boxes are very middling, newer 8 speed nice, older 4 speed a little crude. But fitted in places a European GM box would probably wear out in.

I had a breakdown in Hampshire yesterday (fuel supply suspect pump failure) so I had to limp home.

This means no less than 1500 rpm preferable a bit more, idle impossible, full power none existant. Lock up 3rd and 4th were brilliant.

So eventually managed to get onto Salisbury road and 3 - 4 hours later got home, revs always between 1500 and 3500 (no full power)

But it got me home.

The engines injectors are able to suck tractor juice in if over 1500 RPM, just had to get it to catch as the starter will go to nearly 1000rpm.

I keep thinking newish car, but 15 years old later this year and been 3 models since. But funniliy a more long lasting engine than its replacements

It ran perfectly down to Bournemouth as well. And was very economical for a large diesel engined off roader.

And handles well for one too. Which a few times saved dropping revs or lock up.

More information

New fuel pump and new air bleed valve and it seems OK

Phew

• Like 2

….ZF boxes are very middling, newer 8 speed nice, older 4 speed a little crude.....

I could really do with a 4th/overdrive range, but the CX autos never got anything other than a 3HP22. 3100rpm at 70mph doesn't do a whole lot for fuel economy.

The Xm that succeeded it had the 4HP18, and they had problems.

The 4HP22s (non-EH) in BMWs were very good (lockup top was at about 58mph) as long as you kept to the fluid/filter changes every 25,000 miles.

• Like 1

Now this is a motor car.  "they don't like you using mobile phones in petrol stations but...!".

P

I've always loved the Edwardian monsters and their spiritual successors, the aero-engined cars that came along post WW1. Fast, loud, dangerous, exciting and everything else that makes motorsport what it is. I remember being profoundly influenced by reading an interview with Roger Collins(?), the then owner of the 1903 Mercedes 60hp that was (is?) a familiar sight at VSCC race meetings, in which he said WTTE "It cruises at 80 with its motorway sprockets on". Not bad for a car built not so very long after the Old Queen went to her rest :D.