The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know to be honest. I sold it to a Paul Hudson from Shirebrook Notts. The wooden flooring was shot but the metalwork was very good, even under the back seat. Apparently grilles are a nightmare to find, probably why mine was stolen.

Would you remember  what year was it built, was it a standard (metal dash) or deluxe (wood dash)  car. The early grilles probably are whereas the later ones not so.

Several of mine have gone, UTW 58 lives on, i think its a show winner now, i sold it in late eighties.

IMG_20210520_213828734.jpg

IMG_20210520_213931786.jpg

• Like 10

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know to be honest. I sold it to a Paul Hudson from Shirebrook Notts. The wooden flooring was shot but the metalwork was very good, even under the back seat. Apparently grilles are a nightmare to find, probably why mine was stolen.

The original one piece grilles were brass, the later two piece aluminium.

• Informative/Useful 1

I do like the vans and if I had the money / room etc....

A good 25 years ago I shovelled up the remains of three Bradford vans (one had been a shooting brake with 1940s holiday coach styling) A chap from Towyn bought the spares for the van that had been the hack for his family's hotel from new.

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with hind paws again...
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

i recall......many years ago now, encountering a Jowett special on one of the Classic Reliability trials [the title of the type of event. Has nothing to do with 'classics' as society now knows them, but everything to do with the event format]

I think I first came across it somewhere on a trial in Staffordshire?

The owner, a gent of advanced years [like my ignition?], had a pile of leftovers which were Jowett Bradford, with some pre-Wawer thrown in for good measure.

He had decided that, rather then languishing in a heap at the bottom of his garden, he would throw together the bits to make a 'special' to go trialling with, amongst other things.[not for picnicking at gucci classic car shows, however]

In other words, when one has some sort of Jowett chassis, a Jowett engine [Bradford Vee-twin], some sort f Jowett gearbox, and another sort of Jowett axle, what more did one need?

For trialling, he found his chassis a bit long on the wheelbase [short wheelbases help coping with the rough stuff, and steering.]

The Bradford engine was  a bit low on power, but kept going and struggled to stall.

It had a bonnet, some mudguards, a couple of seats, and some rear storage [oh, and a petrol tank!]....with somewhere to secure two spare wheels..

& that was it!

I cannot recall if he'd splashed out much on paint, either. 

But, I, for one, loved it.  

It puttered up the sections sometimes successfully, often not....but that didn't seem to matter.

Fast it was not. Possibly scary if one tried too hard?

But, who cared?

[My Cannon, on Ford sidevalve power, struggled to get over 50 mph!  All to do with engine revs, nothing to do with bhp! Geared to climb the side of a house,  not impress young 20-somethings in their Audis.  It went faster with a Marina 1275cc engine in it, but kept breaking the Midget gearbox..BMC 1st gears were very weak]

The fact was, he got viable usage out of the bits, had enjoyable days out not having to make nice impressions.

Nowadays, everybody is in love with 'values'.....Money? It sickens me!

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Lomas

Lomax.......yes was based on the 2CV 3 and 4 wheeler but didn’t look like a Lotus Seven at the rear, had a sort of boat tail as I recall.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That can't be more amusing than spark plug access on the Bradford.

Am I right in thinking that Jowetts had a flat-four "boxer" engine (very advanced for its time}?

Another flat-four, the Citroen GS was also difficult for spark plug replacement. Three were OK for access but the fourth, right back near the bulkhead was really difficult without a special tool which only Citroen garages had. The thread on mine got stripped by someone cross-threading when putting the spark plug in resulting in a very tiresome repair.

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Am I right in thinking that Jowetts had a flat-four "boxer" engine (very advanced for its time}?

Yes they did......in the cars [Javelin & Jupiter]

In the Bradford vans, and most pre-war Jowetts, they had a vee  flat twin engine.

Edited by alastairq
Sorry, was thinking of something else, and the auto thingy kicked in..
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

The original one piece grilles were brass, the later two piece aluminium.

From info from JCC , your car was a 1950 deluxe, chassis no. EO/PB/7227D reg to a Mr R.F.Kyle last seen 2001. Described as condition 2 [off road]. It could still be lurking as the older Javelins were made from a thicker gauge of steel and more robust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought the Bradford vans had a flat twin engine?

Yes, even the stillborn CD range was to have a ioe twin engine. I think it would have been underpowered for a vehicle the size of a Ford Consul.

The prototype i owned in the eighties was an estate car CD 10 (JKU 945) and the only survivor in this country.  Now unfortunately in the hands of a recluse unlikely to ever be seen again.

They produced a car, a pickup truck an estate car and ten Pilot run estate car/vans. These were never sold but several were shipped to New Zealand in 1954 after Jowett ceased as a manufacturer.

IMG_20210520_212730184.jpg

IMG_20210520_212744670.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

From info from JCC , your car was a 1950 deluxe, chassis no. EO/PB/7227D reg to a Mr R.F.Kyle last seen 2001. Described as condition 2 [off road]. It could still be lurking as the older Javelins were made from a thicker gauge of steel and more robust.

Come to think of it, it did have the wooden dash, a very pale tan colour. I have had several cars (Austin Eight comes to mind) where the tin dashboard and window surrounds were painted and grained to look like wood. The seats and floor boards were pretty much thrown inside when I got it. 

I sold it after the parts got stolen, I'm certain from the way that they were removed, they weren't taken for scrap.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Are they Rostyle wheels?

They were a favourite with the banger boys, who nearly saw off all Farinas. There's a few well looked after Austin Westminsters running around on them too, usually belonging to ex racers.