The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

A few more from Cosford last Sunday...

Thanks, all rather special cars too. Especially the Lancia 037 - was it the real thing?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, steve1 said:

Has anyone else watched the latest series of Dalgleish?

Set in the 1970s it featured a very good selection of period vehicles, including the hero’s V-12 E Type coupe and, once, a Jensen Interceptor.

One thing that amused me was that, despite the 3 cases being set in different parts of the country, the local plod car was always the same Triumph Herald!

steve

Z cars was set in Liverpool but all the cars carried Essex registrations. This was because they were provided by Fords Dunton test centre.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, steve1 said:

Has anyone else watched the latest series of Dalgleish?

Set in the 1970s it featured a very good selection of period vehicles, including the hero’s V-12 E Type coupe and, once, a Jensen Interceptor.

One thing that amused me was that, despite the 3 cases being set in different parts of the country, the local plod car was always the same Triumph Herald!

steve

I mentioned on another thread that there is also an Allegro with twin headlights and air dam, which I think was one of the run-out models in the early 1980s.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I mentioned on another thread that there is also an Allegro with twin headlights and air dam, which I think was one of the run-out models in the early 1980s.

If its set in the 70s an allegro 3 is a bit out of place as they weren't introduced until late 79

Life on Mars had at least one with a completely false L plate.

• Like 3

Now that I’m approaching retirement, my thoughts are turning to get my old car up and running – it’s one of those late 50s/early 60s ‘specials’, where you turned your Ford Pop into a ‘sports car’ by junking the body and fitting a new, shiny GRP shell on it – a ‘kit car’ in modern parlance. This one is a bit different, as it sits on a 1951 Singer 4AD Roaster chassis, but with a Triumph Vitesse 6 (1600cc) engine. It will be a bit of a job, as it was last running in 1994 – and many things have conspired against it being on the road since then, but hopefully better days beckon.

Anyway – a question please? When I first got the car (1993), I managed to track down the original builder, who had some old photos and slides of the car, and I got some prints taken of them, but I neglected to ask the dates. From the two posted here, can anyone narrow down what dates they are likely to be please? I know they are taken in Scotland (one is the car leaving the Skye Ferry I believe, the other is at a remote hostelry somewhere), but there is a car in the garage behind on the pub one, (and I can’t make out the suffix of the reg no – an M? – that’s the trouble with taking a print off a slide, and scan of the print), and from the Skye Ferry one, might it be possible to narrow down the date from the cars and fashion of the people?

OLGA-36-P.jpeg.9626c3f1226295ed9c90c38c028379ed.jpeg

OLGA-33-P.jpeg.a3403f31dee5e473344a24f2b304cbc2.jpeg

One other question that's bugging me (and I know this isn’t a forum for diagnosing car problems, but hey-ho - worth a try) is when the car was laid up, the expansion tank - this, circled:

OLGA-15-P.jpeg.378768e890ea8d7315a0e07792c69631.jpeg

…was found to be ‘squashed’ (for want of a better word) – almost as if it was sucked inward by a vacuum? I have my theory as to why, but would be interested to hear the views of those that know!

Re-commissioning will be ‘interesting’ – especially as the car was stored next door to my parents for many years, and my Dad (who was suffering from dementia) thought he would help (for whatever reason - they were perfectly OK) by dismantling the window winders on both sides, and then just left them! Bless him.

I’m not sure even now if I have all the parts (For information, they’re mid 50s Hillman Minx/Husky – not easy to get I suspect).

Anyway, I digress – any replies appreciated, cheers.

Edited by billy_anorak59
fat fingers
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Now that I’m approaching retirement, my thoughts are turning to get my old car up and running – it’s one of those late 50s/early 60s ‘specials’, where you turned your Ford Pop into a ‘sports car’ by junking the body and fitting a new, shiny GRP shell on it – a ‘kit car’ in modern parlance. This one is a bit different, as it sits on a 1951 Singer 4AD Roaster chassis, but with a Triumph Vitesse 6 (1600cc) engine. It will be a bit of a job, as it was last running in 1994 – and many things have conspired against it being on the road since then, but hopefully better days beckon.

Anyway – a question please? When I first got the car (1993), I managed to track down the original builder, who had some old photos and slides of the car, and I got some prints taken of them, but I neglected to ask the dates. From the two posted here, can anyone narrow down what dates they are likely to be please? I know they are taken in Scotland (one is the car leaving the Skye Ferry I believe, the other is at a remote hostelry somewhere), but there is a car in the garage behind on the pub one, (and I can’t make out the suffix of the reg no – an M? – that’s the trouble with taking a print off a slide, and scan of the print), and from the Skye Ferry one, might it be possible to narrow down the date from the cars and fashion of the people?

One other question that's bugging me (and I know this isn’t a forum for diagnosing car problems, but hey-ho - worth a try) is when the car was laid up, the expansion tank - this, circled:

…was found to be ‘squashed’ (for want of a better word) – almost as if it was sucked inward by a vacuum? I have my theory as to why, but would be interested to hear the views of those that know!

Re-commissioning will be ‘interesting’ – especially as the car was stored next door to my parents for many years, and my Dad (who was suffering from dementia) thought he would help (for whatever reason - they were perfectly OK) by dismantling the window winders on both sides, and then just left them! Bless him.

I’m not sure even now if I have all the parts (For information, they’re mid 50s Hillman Minx/Husky – not easy to get I suspect).

Interesting project! The expansion tank is an interesting conundrum, has it been modified to fit under the bonnet? The reality is generally if there is an issue with the cooling system, it tends to pressurise rather than vacuum; I had the head gasket go on a Renault 21 and the pressure blew a water pipe as the compression in the cylinders pressurised the water in the cooling system and expose a weakness in the pipe. If for some reason you had a vacuum I would expect the rubber hoses to implode long before the tank so doubt it was caused by anything mechanical.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks for your reply @37114 – most appreciated.

Yes – the expansion tank and fittings as shown in the photo are standard for a Vitesse 6 motor.

For what it’s worth, I’ll expound my theory re: collapsed expansion tank, and people can put me right, as I’m sure some know better than I!

What I ‘think’ is happening is that the pressure cap on either the expansion tank is seized, or is the wrong rating, or the pressure cap on the radiator itself is wrong or seized, or both!

The engine heats up the water, anything that would have been pushed out is sent to the overflow/expansion tank (assuming the radiator pressure cap allows it). When the water cools again, the pressure cap does not admit air to allow the water to flow back to the radiator, and a vacuum is formed as the coolant contracts. As it’s a vacuum It might be that the rubber pipe connecting it was also flattened (rather than blown), but as it was nearly 30 years ago, I can’t remember that detail I’m afraid.

I think the solution will be to check the rating or operation of both pressure caps, but am open to ideas. Might be totally wrong!

How I ‘re-inflate’ the expansion tank is another matter – it might be scrap, unsoldering, beating out, and resoldering something like that is outside my expertise (such as it is).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

How I ‘re-inflate’ the expansion tank is another matter – it might be scrap, unsoldering, beating out, and resoldering something like that is outside my expertise (such as it is).

If it isn't leaking then I wouldn't bother trying to re-inflate it so to speak or if it is a standard item from a vitesse 6 then replace like for like?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

I think the solution will be to check the rating or operation of both pressure caps, but am open to ideas. Might be totally wrong!

Possibly, pump water at high pressure to expand it out again. This is how some exhausts are made for 2 stroke bikes.

All the best

Katy

• Like 3

The header tank was probably installed as the radiator had to be positioned lower than originally intended. This would make bleeding airlocks almost impossible. Having almost completed a Rochdale GT in the 1990s I have some familiarity with the subject but don't quite recognise the body. Pity that Mr Filby never got round to publishing volume one of British Kit Cars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doilum said:

The header tank was probably installed as the radiator had to be positioned lower than originally intended. This would make bleeding airlocks almost impossible.

Since getting a rear-engine front-radiator Smart I've discovered that vacuum filling cooling systems is a thing...

On my Cannon, I once fitted a BL A+ series engine [it came with a  poorly modified A series from an MG]....The thing uses [still] a mini radiator, positioned on it's side.

The A+ engine came from a Marina van [1300cc]...originally....[adapted to fit a midget-type gearbox]....Luckily, the BL engine-ears decided to fit a thermostat housing which had a bleed facility on its top....[unlike t'uther types of A series]...

Which was quite useful.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2023 at 07:50, Northmoor said:

Also noticed in the third Dalgleish story, that the car seen in the garage where the fire is stared is a Morris Oxford, but the burned-out shell is definitely a Minor.  Not surprising really, as no-one is going to torch an early Oxford while scrap Minor shells aren't hard to obtain.

• Agree 2

On 24/05/2023 at 10:35, billy_anorak59 said:

I have been away so only just seen this.

Radiator caps have a central "air valve" that allows air (or the coolant in the expansion tank in this case) to be drawn back in as the engine coolant cools down, to prevent a vacuum forming, thus damaging the radiator, etc. I suspect that is stuck in the cap on the expansion tank.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks to all that have answered.

On 25/05/2023 at 17:20, doilum said:

The header tank was probably installed as the radiator had to be positioned lower than originally intended. This would make bleeding airlocks almost impossible. Having almost completed a Rochdale GT in the 1990s I have some familiarity with the subject but don't quite recognise the body. Pity that Mr Filby never got round to publishing volume one of British Kit Cars.

Thanks @doilum - the header tank is a standard fitting on the Vitesse 6, and comparing the complete installation against 'normal' vitesse's, the radiator seems no lower on my car. I think it has had cooling problems in the past though, as  a big ugly ‘scoop’ has been grafted on the bonnet, in an attempt to get more air through.

Even amongst the obscure subjects of the period, this one is pretty obscure, so I’m not surprised you didn’t recognise it!

It’s an ‘Autobodies Mk2’ (Autobodies were based in Oldham), which would have started life with a ‘GT’ body, but mine had it’s roof chopped off (shame really, I think I prefer the original)

Advert:

advertcr2.jpg.3609f4ee011a14ccfd2b9c53a7b10e9b.jpg

Original Publicity Photo:

Autobodies-PublicityPhoto1960-1.jpeg.6d2e56efa4a84016232d0d09215c0f0d.jpeg

Mine (as you can imagine, it took some tracking down as to what it actually was/is!) :

OLGA-10.jpeg.289678b19775fe6aaacd0c75ac49c1a8.jpeg

On 29/05/2023 at 09:49, Jol Wilkinson said:

Radiator caps have a central "air valve" that allows air (or the coolant in the expansion tank in this case) to be drawn back in as the engine coolant cools down, to prevent a vacuum forming, thus damaging the radiator, etc. I suspect that is stuck in the cap on the expansion tank.

Thank you @Jol Wilkinson – I think that pretty much explains what is happening here. I’m not sure if the pressure caps for the radiator and header are, or should be different pressure ratings, but whatever, new ones will be found, and the right ones put on the right piece of equipment! Appreciate your reply.

Edited by billy_anorak59
Clarity
  • Like 5

Oldham is but a penalty kick from Rochdale and i would suggest that 80%  of your car has Rochdale DNA. Or vice versa.

The Rochdale was intended for a 7'10" Ford with the extra length in the rear side windows and doors. The doors were more conventionally forward hinged and used Morris Minor window frames and glass. The line of the front wings is almost identical but with just a small bonnet over the engine space. The headlights were also set a little higher and therefore MOT.complient and were sourced from an early VW / Porsche,365.

Eventually after getting the car from a bare shell and chassis to an almost finished running vehicle I had to sell to make way for a relocated model railway layout.

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, doilum said:

Oldham is but a penalty kick from Rochdale and i would suggest that 80%  of your car has Rochdale DNA. Or vice versa.

The Rochdale was intended for a 7'10" Ford with the extra length in the rear side windows and doors. The doors were more conventionally forward hinged and used Morris Minor window frames and glass. The line of the front wings is almost identical but with just a small bonnet over the engine space. The headlights were also set a little higher and therefore MOT.complient and were sourced from an early VW / Porsche,365.

Eventually after getting the car from a bare shell and chassis to an almost finished running vehicle I had to sell to make way for a relocated model railway layout.

can remember looking to buy  a house in cadishead looked in the  garage to find a pair of chassis and a bodyshell plus lots of panels and parts from what the vendor stated was a Rochdale "kitcar " they were happy to throw them in as part of the deal as they had been his late farther project .saddly swmob

didnt like the house so it never happend . did see it being all  hauled away on a flatbed some months later

Edited by peanuts
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 30/05/2023 at 10:02, billy_anorak59 said:

Thanks to all that have answered.

Thanks @doilum - the header tank is a standard fitting on the Vitesse 6, and comparing the complete installation against 'normal' vitesse's, the radiator seems no lower on my car. I think it has had cooling problems in the past though, as  a big ugly ‘scoop’ has been grafted on the bonnet, in an attempt to get more air through.

Even amongst the obscure subjects of the period, this one is pretty obscure, so I’m not surprised you didn’t recognise it!

It’s an ‘Autobodies Mk2’ (Autobodies were based in Oldham), which would have started life with a ‘GT’ body, but mine had it’s roof chopped off (shame really, I think I prefer the original)

Advert:

advertcr2.jpg.3609f4ee011a14ccfd2b9c53a7b10e9b.jpg

Original Publicity Photo:

Autobodies-PublicityPhoto1960-1.jpeg.6d2e56efa4a84016232d0d09215c0f0d.jpeg

Mine (as you can imagine, it took some tracking down as to what it actually was/is!) :

OLGA-10.jpeg.289678b19775fe6aaacd0c75ac49c1a8.jpeg

Thank you @Jol Wilkinson – I think that pretty much explains what is happening here. I’m not sure if the pressure caps for the radiator and header are, or should be different pressure ratings, but whatever, new ones will be found, and the right ones put on the right piece of equipment! Appreciate your reply.

It think that expansion tanks don't normally have pressure caps. The feed to the tank looks like it is from the radiator overflow outlet.  So all that  the tank cap is doing is pressurising the tank and hose to the radiator. +

It looks that the top of the radiator is below the top hose into the engine so it may be that the expansion tanks stops air being drawn in to the radiator when cooling down. But it still should't need a pressure cap.

• Like 2