The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

This one rather upsets me has been sat at the side of Huddersfield road mossley for the best part of a year not moving just exposed to weather and what ever comes off passing traffic .beggining to show the effects of this now .nice 1500 gt when it first appeared just seams a bit folorn now 

20230923_163804.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I had my heart set on the MG but....

...the Plymouth had just fired up, and I mean FIRED up! It filled the volume with a deep throaty roar, which responded so well/quickly to the gas pedal.

The Plymouth was is a big car, but when I snapped the photo, I think Hagrid's brother was stooped over it and looking down at it!

I nearly nearly went for the Plymouth, but the Auburn won out.

image.png.95678b99104f16ea15fb1a52aa20f007.png

Just look at that dash (as the owner/driver is getting in).

image.png.e807fc8e8808f429326e83b483139c63.png

That's worth a closer look.

image.png.0e831e5568535b3d1ab499d521136a39.png

(It's got the tiniest gear selector box I have ever seen!)

Driving along with lots of admiring stare...

image.png.c009f61a9f0fb93fe168b52500f15d92.png

Here we return to the fold passing most of the other classics on the left.

(I can also recommend the "Curry Wurst" stall just visible on the right - where the "sausage on a bun" was particularly good, even if it didn't have "named meat" in the recipe!

image.png.ff30d7fa7a6d50abf2d727e47fca0a18.png

I must admit that the ride was awful and everything smelled of petrol (maybe some polish in there too). Random deep Clungs and Klongs happening most times. It appeared to have lots of springs but no dampers!

I loved it!

I wonder if they are all there tomorrow too?

Kev.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, peanuts said:

This one rather upsets me has been sat at the side of Huddersfield road mossley for the best part of a year not moving just exposed to weather and what ever comes off passing traffic .beggining to show the effects of this now .nice 1500 gt when it first appeared just seams a bit folorn now 

20230923_163804.jpg

Sacrilege.  If I (a) had the space to store/renovate it, (b) lived about 150 miles nearer and (c) thought there was the slightest possibility Mrs Northmoor would agree, I'd be round there with a trailer and a bundle of used notes for the owner.  My first car was an 1850HL and I loved it.

Sadly it's probably it that location/condition because, as a friend once very bluntly put it, "The owner's given up either driving or breathing".

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Sacrilege.  If I (a) had the space to store/renovate it, (b) lived about 150 miles nearer and (c) thought there was the slightest possibility Mrs Northmoor would agree, I'd be round there with a trailer and a bundle of used notes for the owner.  My first car was an 1850HL and I loved it.

Sadly it's probably it that location/condition because, as a friend once very bluntly put it, "The owner's given up either driving or breathing".

Possibly where someone left it, having run out of fuel, having taken it for a "Ride".  Either way, an enquiry at the local Police station might solve the conundrum, to the advantage of the owner, or someone willing to take it on, perhaps other benefactors.

Seems odd that the Police haven't picked up on it's "Off the Road" Tax status and actioned it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Possibly where someone left it, having run out of fuel, having taken it for a "Ride".  Either way, an enquiry at the local Police station might solve the conundrum, to the advantage of the owner, or someone willing to take it on, perhaps other benefactors.

Seems odd that the Police haven't picked up on it's "Off the Road" Tax status and actioned it.

I think it is old enough for no tax or MOT so if it is insured it is legal.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

I think it is old enough for no tax or MOT so if it is insured it is legal.

No it's not. VED is free, but you still need to have it...

38 minutes ago, Welchester said:

Spotted while shopping in Lichfield yesterday. Is it a Morris Minor?

Yes, it is a Morris, not sure about the model though.

885cc, first registered April 1931.

Last V5C (logbook) issued 1 July 2022.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Welchester said:

Spotted while shopping in Lichfield yesterday. Is it a Morris Minor?

IMG_1711.jpeg

3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

This looks like it, from the Free Car Check website - Minor.  I was puzzled about the vertical ribs at the top of the radiator, ut they are there on the picture.

https://carcheckfree.co.uk/cardetails/PXS758 

It would be one of the last overhead camshaft Minors made. From about April 1931 they switched to a side valve engine and a planer radiator. The MG Midget was based on the early Minor. My father had a 1932 Minor c. 1954/5 with the side valve engine. The Minor was a direct competitor to the Austin 7.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, peanuts said:

Lost, abandoned, or owner AWOL?

image.png.fd8423fcf1afa4626d17bd76da16d927.png

https://carcheckfree.co.uk/cardetails/GDL223N

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Lost, abandoned, or owner AWOL?

image.png.fd8423fcf1afa4626d17bd76da16d927.png

https://carcheckfree.co.uk/cardetails/GDL223N

All i know is it appeared around a year ago shortly after the property (a cattery)  its outside changed in acramonious circumstances previous owners having done a  bunk with all the funds but left the shelves bare for animals booked in wether it was left behind and dumped at the roadside i couldnt say .very suprised tameside higways havent removed it are the are VERY  keen to hoik cars of residents carparks if not taxed or MOTd 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, russ p said:

A great day toy at the BL Autumn Rally in Milton Keynes 

Even better as I won best in class and had award presented by Sarah Crabtree formally on bangers and cash.

So which car is yours Russ?

I think the 1100/1300 is still a good looking car having the simplicity of line that all classics seem to have.

Kind regards,

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, 30368 said:

So which car is yours Russ?

I think the 1100/1300 is still a good looking car having the simplicity of line that all classics seem to have.

Kind regards,

The red maestro efi next to the BR van 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Having grown up in a "British Leyland family", I have an affinity for many of those models.  I never particularly liked it but learned to drive in a red Maestro City X (and just bought a 1/76 scale version recently) - well done on your restoration and prize, well deserved.

What's really nice to see in that show is the number of "normal" versions which are so often forgotten (not that there was a Princess GTi, which is a shame as it would be hilarious).  I went to Mini Day at Brooklands last year and it was overwhelmingly Coopers made since 1990; out of the dozens of special editions made, about two had turned up.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Having grown up in a "British Leyland family", I have an affinity for many of those models.  I never particularly liked it but learned to drive in a red Maestro City X (and just bought a 1/76 scale version recently) - well done on your restoration and prize, well deserved.

What's really nice to see in that show is the number of "normal" versions which are so often forgotten (not that there was a Princess GTi, which is a shame as it would be hilarious).  I went to Mini Day at Brooklands last year and it was overwhelmingly Coopers made since 1990; out of the dozens of special editions made, about two had turned up.

A shame there wasn't a hot princess.  Someone created a princess ST which wasn't excellent. 

Shame they didn't do a S version possibly using the 2.6 E series used in Australia.  That was even used in Marinas over there shame we never got that.

South African SD1s got that engine and was said to be pretty good 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Basic versions usually go quite quickly, not cared for, or if VGC gets upgraded with bits from nicer models.

Problem is that some of these basic ones are quite nasty in some ways.

Nastiest nasty is when two engines are very similar, but one has bigger holes in it. Same weight, a bit more power, a lot more torque, higher gearing, and better fuel consumption. So surviving smaller ones get the very similar bigger engine from a scrappy.

I have driven some horrid underpowered cars, (quite a few GM) where the next up was miles better. A good example was the blobby Astra 1200 horrid, 1300 fun, actually that 1300 was the pick as it was more fun than the 1600.

However it does end up with some cars going extinct, I bet there are very few if any Sunbeam hatch 1.0 on the road, most have been used for parts, engines for Imps and kit cars, bodies for 1.6 and 2.2 running gear. Come to think of it 25 years ago when I had mone I remember seeing 2x 1.3s and one of those was a rally car I was following with no diffficulty at all (mine was fast road 1.6), the othe rnot selling.

What survives the banger crowd becomes the future classic cars. 60 and 70s cars were ripe for alteration so a lot of cars of that era which survived got owned  by people who did them up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russ p said:

A shame there wasn't a hot princess.  Someone created a princess ST which wasn't excellent. 

Shame they didn't do a S version possibly using the 2.6 E series used in Australia.  That was even used in Marinas over there shame we never got that.

South African SD1s got that engine and was said to be pretty good 

I quite liked the Maestros nice and roomy inside, but they had a lot of hate, no idea why. Yet I did not like the Princess, don't know why, but did like the P6 V8.

• Like 2