MOMING'14@York

cp409067

MOMING'14@York

It is with pleasure that I am able to announce that MOMING'14 - the annual celebration of MOdelling MINimum Gauge - will be a small "exhibition within an exhibition" at the York show next Easter. I am most grateful for the willingness of Mal Scrimshaw to host the event.

This will be the tenth MOMING and to avoid confusion can I say that the move to York for 2014 follows the pattern now established? This is that in the odd numbered years (as on 10 August 2013) the event is part of the Bi-annual (Wiltshire Group of the OO9 Society) Members' Day held at Pewsey, and in the even years it moves around the country (previous venues have been Telford and ExpoNG at Swanley in Kent). It had been my hope for some time to take the event to the north and this is therefore very pleasing.

The dates are Saturday-Monday 19-21 April 2014.

Details of the MOMING exhibits will be made available in due course when they have been finalised.

Christopher Payne

MOMING Co-ordinator

• 7 months later...

It being seven weeks to MOMING'14@YORK I am able to provide the following detailed information.

There will be ten layouts as follows.

"ALBION ESTATES" - Bill Bateson's 1:12 scale on 32mm track agricultural line that has somehow survived into the 1950's.

"CLEE VALLEY RAILWAY" - Peter Leadley's new O9 layout representing a miniature line. Construction has been recounted on NGRMonLine and the layout made its début at NG South West in Feb 2014.

"DUNGENESS (days and dreams in)" - a first venture into this scale on 16.5mm track by Des Trollip of " Zebediela Citrus" fame.

"HALFWAY" - Ken Jackson's O9 and O-16.5 layout.

"HOOK BASIN" - Richard Williams' 1:25 scale layout on 16.5mm track representing an 18ins gauge line with canal interchange set in the South Midlands. Recently exhibited (Oct 2013) at EuroMOMING in Sedan. See articles in RM Aug 2009 and Oct 2012.

"LAMBURY TOWERS" - Gn15 by Michael Bartlett.

"MATTHEWS CORNER" - Chris Krupa's classic layout in 1:24 scale on 16.5mm track. See article in RM Aug 2007.

"NEWLAND'S FARM" - Gn15 by Rex Ashton.

"PYNTON TRAMWAY Co" - an O9 (representing 18ins gauge)  rural electric railway by Christopher Payne. Recently exhibited (Oct 2013) at EuroMOMING in Sedan. See articles in RM Jun 2013, Schmale Spuren 4/2013, and Loco Revue HS No 35.

"WATERFIELD HALL" - 1:12  scale on 32mm track by Allen Law and Jez Kirkwood.

There will be the trade stand of MINIMUM GAUGE MODELS.

This will be the first time MOMING has been a part of a general modelling exhibition of the size and status that is the YORK MODEL RAILWAY SHOW. EuroMOMING (in association with Voie Libre and RAMMA) at Sedan last autumn was a successful two day event. It is hoped that being part of the three day exhibition at York and venturing thus far north in the UK it will be enjoyed and supported by as many as possible interested in minimum gauge modelling.

Christopher Payne

(MOMING Co-ordinator)

Two other narrow gauge layouts will also be there to support the miniature ones.  MOMING'14@YORK is on the second floor of the Knavesmire stand so don't forget to come up and see us.

Advanced tickets are available for the show, just go to the York show web site for details. http://www.yorkshow.org.uk for details plus lists of other layouts and traders, demonstrators etc.

Peter

Two other narrow gauge layouts will also be there to support the miniature ones.  MOMING'14@YORK is on the second floor of the Knavesmire stand so don't forget to come up and see us.

Advanced tickets are available for the show, just go to the York show web site for details. http://www.yorkshow.org.uk for details plus lists of other layouts and traders, demonstrators etc.

Peter

One slight clarification if I may. Some of the MOMING layouts portray miniature railways - but many do not. In simple terms prototype miniature railways are usually minimum gauge, but by no means all minimum gauge railways are or were miniature lines.

In general I would understand miniature lines to be those with (say) locomotives that are (inspired by) reduced scale versions of standard gauge (eg the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch) or narrow gauge (eg the Fairbourne) railways. Other (non-miniature) minimum gauge railways are in effect very narrow gauge with appropriate locos and stock.

Christopher Payne

(MOMING Co-ordinator)

• 3 weeks later...

Any photos or links to websites for the MOMING layouts that will be at York?

Happy modelling.

Steven B

Hi Steven

You can find photos of Newlands Farm here These are fairly old pictures and there is more general detail. See you at York.

Rex Ashton

There are also some pictures on the Narrow Gauge North Web site. As I pointed out in my earlier post you do have to register (join) to use the NGRM-online forum, but it is painless and we are a friendly bunch aren't we Brian?

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

One week to go! This time next Saturday the YORK exhibition will have been open for an hour and by then some may have found their way to the top floor where MOMING'14 will be located.

There will be ten layouts in various scales (see list in post No 2) and the trade stand of Minimum Gauge Models.

And to repeat what I have previously observed -

"This will be the first time MOMING has been a part of a general modelling exhibition of the size and status that is the YORK MODEL RAILWAY SHOW. EuroMOMING (in association with Voie Libre and RAMMA) at Sedan last autumn was a successful two day event. It is hoped that being part of the three day exhibition at York and venturing thus far north in the UK it will be enjoyed and supported by as many as possible interested in minimum gauge modelling."

Christopher Payne

(MOMING Co-ordinator)

• 1 month later...

Archived