Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Who would you most like to run a layout with?

I had to laugh. It's often stated to take wiki 'facts' with a pinch of salt - that page links to a list of celebrated railfans, amongst which is the name 'Dionysius Lardner'.  :no:

I believe Lardner was actually a GWR shareholder, and an early enthusiast for railways; he just had severe doubts about the wisdom of constructing Box Tunnel.

But why do you consider the name of Dionysius Lardner in the said list to be a “wiki 'fact' to be taken with a pinch of salt”, Dave? The Reverend Dr Lardner was an important encyclopaedist and educationist in the early nineteenth century and the first professor of natural philosophy and astronomy at the University of London. He was a great believer in the steam engine and the benefits that a railway system would bring, and his fame as a promoter of popular science enabled him to influence the Government.

However, his greatest weakness, other than his scandalous personal life, was his readiness to pit his theoretically backed arguments against the reality of pragmatic engineers such as George Stephenson and IK Brunel, and statements such as: Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia” were soon refuted. So even his mistakes, as they were exposed, added to public confidence in the work of those engineers as his own reputation suffered.

The Wikipedia article on Lardner is an entertaining and informative read; those still scornful of Wikiworld will find much the same in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.

Dionysius Lardner? “Goodness be with us, what a name!” (Sir Walter Scott, 1829)

• RMweb Premium

The present Her Majesty’s Government and Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition (the shadow government). If I can get them to operate a model railway properly then between them there may be a chance they could run the country properly.  :no:

Or maybe just me mates cos I like me mates. And yes by the conversations we have, me and my mates could run the country. :sungum:

I'll freely admit that I'm not well read on Dr. Lardner. From what I have read, I am aware of his interest in steam engines (builder/owner of an engine & author on the subject), but not steam locomotives. I'm unaware of any monetary link with the fledgling GWR. Of course, I could be wrong on any of these statements & welcome correction!

As for the wiki biog. Yes, he appears well educated & qualified, & like Brunel Jr has indefinite belief in their theories, it's interesting to compare the two & I must research further at some point. I apologise for my sweeping generalisation regarding wiki, I'm sure the majority is wheat, It's just that I've come across a load of chaff!

Dr. Lardner turns out to have been a far more interesting character than I'd realised but was rather indulged by the GWR's directors to the point of endangering trains while being allowed to run a loco willy nilly up and down the line for his experiments.

The point about Wiki is that if you find errors you can correct them so the accuracy of the articles should gradually improve.

Dr. Lardner turns out to have been a far more interesting character than I'd realised but was rather indulged by the GWR's directors to the point of endangering trains while being allowed to run a loco willy nilly up and down the line for his experiments.

I think that was fairly standard (at least on the GWR back then) - I seem to remember reading that Charles Babbage had his own loco too!

• RMweb Premium

In that case I am pretty sure that I have seen him operating at several exhibitions.

Personally I'd like to play trains with Roger Daltrey as he never seems to take himself too seriously.

But he takes his modelling very seriously.

Apart from friends - the Queen of Sheba because she came with a very great train, and musical accompaniment (certainly for a US railroad) by JJ Cale or Meade Lux Lewis.

OK I'm off now ...

• RMweb Gold

Apart from my Dad then I'd like P D Hancock of Craig and Mertonford fame.

As a teenager moving away from toy trains I was enthralled by his work.  A couple of things I remember seeing first from him were:

a/ Everything should have a purpose (something I still practice when deciding whether new stock is need to have or nice to have)

b/ Even things like detritus should be carefully placed (something which now extends to being obsessive about exactly how things weather).

I think that was fairly standard (at least on the GWR back then) - I seem to remember reading that Charles Babbage had his own loco too!

The Babbage Calculating Engine, perhaps? Controlled via some sort of 'steam-punk' ETCS, constantly updating its speed according to that of the train in front..

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to operate with Captain Sensible... although I don't think he has a layout (but a named Class 47 in real!!!). Probably taking a ride behind that old duff, having some drinks and listen to old punkrock stories! 

Long live the Damned! :drinks:

Other than my now late father I would say Bob Burns .

Bob is a sadly missed friend from Ayr Model Railway Club . I know anyone reading this that knew him won't mind me saying he was one of the most infuriating and awkward people I ever had cause meet . He was , however , a fatherly figure to us ' younger ones ' and kept the 00 gang in order . He was the custodian on the club pen , screw driver and electolube. He remembered the drawing pins for the layout curtain when going to shows . Looked after the bolts to build the layout .

He had some great railway related stories ( ex railwayman) usually about Wellingborough and immingham ( sorry - always about ) !

Bob was just one of those folk you don't often meet .

Anyway - one more running session would be nice so I could shout " Bob ! POINTS ....".

Rgs

Mike b

Ever since I read early articles by Peter Denny in RM I've wanted to run a proper model railway - with more than one station - as prototypically as possible. And slowly but surely, over the last 20 years or so I have been getting there. I love operating my train set with the gang from the Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG) of the Scalefour Society - if only the d****d trains would stay on the lines more. The best times are when Steve and Phil are respectively at the controls of Clecklewyke and Bradford North Western and the only sounds are the block bells and the trains. Who needs conversation?

But I'd love to have had the chance to sit at the controls of Granborough Road with PD at Buckingham.

Ian

Not an original answer, but yes my late father. This whole trains thing is his fault! And he never got to see my layout as he died before we got the house. Although I do sometimes wonder if he's watching, or even playing with me- especially when something starts to move that shouldn't!

Doctor Who.

Rather than relying on grainy out of focus photos for research purposes, I can just hop in the TARDIS with him and take my own pictures at the angles I need of the things I want pictures of.

Not to mention the fact that you could invest a small sum of money in the past, then withdraw it in the present complete with interest, and buy all the model railway items you'd ever need!

David Hasselhoff was in the celeb list! No contest, i don't take it too seriously and i'm sure he wouldn't either. I would have to insist that it really isn't swimsuit-Saturday if he came round though.

Unless of course he brought some of the female members of the Baywatch cast with him!!!

Archived