Corridor Connection between BR Standard / Pullman type?

FelixM

Hi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8695581829/

If I am correct the first coaach is a Stanier and the second and third are Gresleys. Then there would be the situation that between the first and the second coach the BR standard and the Pullman type connectors don't match. Would an adaptor always be used in those cases? Or is the Stanier coach a strengthening coach and therefore there wasn't a need of a connection?

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Felix

• RMweb Gold

Gangway adaptors would be used to couple coaches with non-Pullman gangways to those with Pullman gangways.  I would be surprised if a strengthening coach wasn't gangway connected but it probably happened and it did happen in some cases where portions were involved and there was no need for through access.

• RMweb Gold

The Stationmaster's comment is definitive, if an adapter wasn't available the gangway doors were supposed to be locked to prevent passengers trying to cross between the coaches. I believe that some Stanier coaches ran in BR days with adapters permanently fitted, especially those allocated to Scotland where the ScR had inherited a mixture of LMS and LNER design vehicles.

What a good question. I am asking myself the same question regarding a mix of LMS and BR Mk 1 vehicles (a Hull - Liverpool inter-regional working) which I am running on Bradford North Western.

I would have thought that there would be no problem between the Gresley and Mk 1 Pullman vestibules but that there would need to be an adaptor between the Stanier and Gresley or Mk1 coaches. Even if the Stanier coach were a strengthener I would expect the corridor connection to be made.

I would love to here the informed advice of people like Sationmaster or other ex BR employees.

Ian

Adapters were found on ex-GWR coaches too.  As BR standard coaches were delivered it became inevitable that GWR stock, which like the LMS used non-Pullman gangways, would be mingled with the newer coaches.  The carriage working programmes would specify at times that adapter fitted coaches were to be used.

Chris

ISTR that certain Southern coaches, intended for working over other railways' routes, actually had a Pullman gangway at one end and a BS version at the other.

True: the Maunsell 'high-window' vehicles built to Orders E363 to E366 in 1928 were intended for 'inter-company' services and those allocated in sets had the Southern-standard Pullman gangway within sets and British-standard gangways at the brake end of the brake vehicles. The BCKs had BS gangways at both ends. The BS gangways were also fitted with CA adaptors to enable them to be coupled with Pullman gangways - the Southern workshops produced many hundreds of the CA adaptors to fit to the BS gangways built onto pre-Maunsell standard vehicles to enable them to be connected to the Pullman gangways on the Maunsells and subsequently the Bullied vehicles also.

Source: King: An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

What a good question. I am asking myself the same question regarding a mix of LMS and BR Mk 1 vehicles (a Hull - Liverpool inter-regional working) which I am running on Bradford North Western.

I would have thought that there would be no problem between the Gresley and Mk 1 Pullman vestibules but that there would need to be an adaptor between the Stanier and Gresley or Mk1 coaches. Even if the Stanier coach were a strengthener I would expect the corridor connection to be made.

I would love to here the informed advice of people like Sationmaster or other ex BR employees.

Ian

As above Ian (my post No.2 in this thread) coupling LMS gangways (BS pattern) to BR standard coaches (effectively Pullman gangways) needed an adaptor where the LMS design vehicles' come up against a BR gangwayed vehicle. 

• Agree 1

The Stationmaster's comment is definitive, if an adapter wasn't available the gangway doors were supposed to be locked to prevent passengers trying to cross between the coaches. I believe that some Stanier coaches ran in BR days with adapters permanently fitted, especially those allocated to Scotland where the ScR had inherited a mixture of LMS and LNER design vehicles.

Were there any "mobile" adaptors ?  not only did the BS Gangway' need an extension to it's height but it also needed two extra levers on the faceplate to become an Adaptor Gangway and to couple it to BR Standard stock.  I thought they were all either adaptor fitted or just plain BS Gangways if not. 

• RMweb Gold

Were there any "mobile" adaptors ?  not only did the BS Gangway' need an extension to it's height but it also needed two extra levers on the faceplate to become an Adaptor Gangway and to couple it to BR Standard stock.  I thought they were all either adaptor fitted or just plain BS Gangways if not. 

Bob, I can recall seeing adaptors 'lying round' so on that basis I'm assuming they didn't always stay on vehicles although vehicles could in any case be swopped in and out for maintenance or attention which might mean adaptors coming off or one needed to be put on.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike - I'll need to keep an eye out for one to see what form it took.  All of those (ex-LMS) vehicles I worked on that were adaptor fitted had a far more permanent arrangement - not something that could be fitted in a station, requiring the replacement of the whole gangway mechanism.

Hi,

A number of Gresley Brake Composites and a believe a few Bk 3rds were built with the "standard" corridor connection on one end. These were intended for through workings onto other railways who did not use the Pullman gangway.

In BR days Scottish region they tended to keep the ex LMS vehicles in sets as far as possible. From a modelling point of view a train of mixed LMS/LNER or LMS/Br Mk 1 would be very unlikely. If seen together it would be as two sets coupled together (presumably using an adaptor). Trains with a mix of Gresley, Thompson and Mk1 were quite common.

The fact that the ex LNER stock could be used along with the Mk1s, Pullman gangway and buckeye, I think made them seem more useful to the operating department although they looked older than the equivalent ex LMS types. The catering vehicles in particular lasted much longer. 

best wishes,

Ian

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone happen to know if any Hawksworth Full Brakes were fitted with Pullman adaptors? (If so, a picture or two would be great thanks!). I'm building a BR blue one in 7mm scale, but in any broadside views I've seen, the gangways are either unmodified, or it's too gloomy to tell. End views haven't helped much either, as the gangways are once again, unmodified, or have been removed completely!

Regards

Dan

The 1976 RCTS Coaching Stock book states that some BGs (both Collett and Hawksworth) were fitted with adapter gangways at one end.

Stated as such are:

Diagram K42

98, 269

Diagram K45

293, 303, 304, 305, 324

Most of the remaining GW BGs had their gangways removed by 1976, it may well be that more had adapter gangways fitted originally. A quick look through the books in my collection have not revealed any photographs with adapters fitted.

• 6 years later...