The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

HYDRATION

bbishop

I should like to remind RMWebbers enjoying the heat wave to drink copious amounts of water.

I am drinking a pint of water every hour to avoid dehydration.  There is nothing to stop you enjoying a beer, but could I suggest you follow every pint by drinking the same volume of water.

I will be at Lords on Thursday and Friday, dealing with the consequences of too much sun, too much beer and too little water.  Perhaps people could nudge the topic, maybe by discussing the cricket.

Bill

I should like to remind RMWebbers enjoying the heat wave to drink copious amounts of water.

I am drinking a pint of water every hour to avoid dehydration.  There is nothing to stop you enjoying a beer, but could I suggest you follow every pint by drinking the same volume of water.

I will be at Lords on Thursday and Friday, dealing with the consequences of too much sun, too much beer and too little water.  Perhaps people could nudge the topic, maybe by discussing the cricket.

Bill

Quite agree Bill, water is more important than beer/lager/cider and even sugary pop at the moment!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that on the thread about the ghastly Canadian traincrash and fire, the emergency workers in very hot conditions are taking on Gatorade rather than water, as it works faster, they find. I was under the impression that Isotonic drinks are best for dehydration - Lucozade Sport is one brand that comes to mind.

Isotonics aren't the same as sugary pop. They contain various trace elements that are needed for rehydration whilst pop is generally a blend of complex sugars and flavours with little or no benefit for the body.

• RMweb Premium

Iron and steel workers in constant extremely hot environments used to drink beer (the weaker sort, mild mostly) at work as it went down easier than water; it just wasn't possible to take on enough fluid as plain water.

Pete

Suffering from the effects of dehydration myself, despite usually trying very hard to ensure that it wouldn't happen.

Today however, I had to visit someone in their home as part of my course and greatly underestimated the journey time. I also stayed longer than expected so walked back around half 12. Nearly an hour each way and with very little shade on the way back. If I'd have expected it, I'd like to think just a bottle of water per journey would have saved me the consequences and not ruined my day!

A casual 'Hockey Tournament' at the weekend - real hydration will be a bit of a problem I can imagine...

Drinking too much water can be bad for you too, be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Why the Firemen over here drink fluids packed with electrolytes.

It's much hotter over here btw - it's not considered hot until the shade temperature hits 90f  (32C) its 35C where I live which is quite reasonable considering it can reach 42C (like on my Wedding).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Iron and steel workers in constant extremely hot environments used to drink beer (the weaker sort, mild mostly) at work as it went down easier than water; it just wasn't possible to take on enough fluid as plain water.

Pete

Not only did beer go down easier, it was less likely to kill you than water.

• RMweb Premium

As I shall, as usual, be spending My working time in a lab with no windows at 23 C +- 0.5 degree. I shall take on board no more water than Normal and keep drinking the cyder when I get home!

The Q

• RMweb Gold

On the footplate of a steam loco in this weather can be a very unpleasant experience if precautions aren't taken. Plain water doesn't seem to be the best option, on a loco such as a Bulleid pacific (hotter than hell in the summer) you can drink litre after litre and still feel dickey, probably because you are diluting the salts etc, in the blood (?) .

Over the years I've tried salt tables, glucose-y type sweets, and have found that the only way is a mix of drinks such as Lucozade Sport and water and definitely, and whisper it ever so softly in the presence of railwaymen - no tea!. 

• RMweb Premium

I've just been listening to a Radio 4 feature, in which scientists claim to be able to recharge a mobile phone from, er, urine.

In Cave rescue days when we used NiCad miners lamps that was the standard treatment for alkali burns from a broken lamp.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

On the footplate of a steam loco in this weather can be a very unpleasant experience if precautions aren't taken. Plain water doesn't seem to be the best option, on a loco such as a Bulleid pacific (hotter than hell in the summer) you can drink litre after litre and still feel dickey, probably because you are diluting the salts etc, in the blood (?) .

Over the years I've tried salt tables, glucose-y type sweets, and have found that the only way is a mix of drinks such as Lucozade Sport and water and definitely, and whisper it ever so softly in the presence of railwaymen - no tea!. 

Several former Old Oak Firemen used to reckon a bottle of cold tea (no milk) was as refreshing as most drinks when you were on the footplate for a long job.

• RMweb Premium

Beer was still being drunk in foundries etc in the 50 and 60s, possibly later. I don't know but I expect the H & S at work Act led to it being phased out (OMG! acohol in the workplace!). A very hazardous industry of course, but I wonder if there was much effect on safety  from a few pints of mild spread over the day. My great grandfather was a foundryman in West Bromwich and apparently had a ferocious thirst.

Pete

My Wife laughed 'cos I put out a bowl for the local Rabbits (actually mainly for the Chipmunks) whereas normally I'm a "Mr. McGregor"...

At 6:00pm I'm getting a reading of 100.7f on my deck which is two degrees less than yesterday

Best, Pete.

I flew out of Milan this afternoon at 28C... and into Birmingham at 28C.  That won't happen often!

Just to add to the isotonic drinkers - yes, do not just drink water - too much water will wash away all the electrolytes that make the old brain work and too much water will kill you just as painfully as not enough.  One for one in my book.  

Mind you, I  managed a litre and three quarters of sprite between last night wandering around Milan in a daze and the breakfast this morning... Italians don't seem to do sensible drinks....

All the isotonic drinks are basically just water, sugar and salt. The WHO recommendation for Oral Rehydration Salts for the treatment of medium level dehydration is 2.6 g/l of sodium chloride, 13.5 g/l of sugar, 1.5 g/l of potassium chloride and 2.9 g/l of sodium citrate. If you're not doing hard physical outdoor labour or suffering chronic dehydration that would require medical attention, simply add half a cup of lemon, lime or orange juice and half a teaspoon of salt to a litre of water.

Or even better, add half a cup of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of salt to a cup of strong black or green tea, then add 1 litre of cold water, some ice and couple of chopped mint leaves. I find that very refreshing on a hot day and considerably cheaper than sports drinks. Double the quantity and put it in a fancy jug for guests. :)

Cheers

David (from a much hotter climate)

Archived