Show us your scratchbuilt building

Absolutely magninicent Unicorn 1.

However, may I take the liberty of making a suggestion about those really wonderful buses and that is to say that 10 plus tons of bus would have more than a certain impact on its tyres and by flattening the tyres at the botton with a file  this would demonstrate what I mean perfectly ! 

Alright, I'll get my coat....

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Premium

Kensington North Main signalbox, in n scale.

gallery_681_3312_67516.jpg

gallery_681_3312_3830.jpg

Prior to the steps being added.

gallery_681_3312_91060.jpg

Further pictures of Kensington Olympia station buildings etc can be found here. The full thread of the layout can be found here

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous piece of work, the thing with paint is...if it goes wrong you can paint it again......

BUT ask others opines first because it might actually be a great paint job....I thin a number of people 'walk off' having painted and feeling it's not good enough and when they go back ....actually it's pretty smart. Plus if you need to weather.....you can cheat and use clean water mixed with weathering powder which in general can be brushed off if you rally hate it. 

The thing is not to panic,,,,,you'll get there eventually.....and the building work is superb.

and the idea to trial it on some spare is spot on. Andwhere possible start painting off the product along the product and back off. Cardboard protector can be stood up to help cover the  areas you are not ready to paint.....or cling film........and I am sure.....loads of people can give you other ideas.

Wow! That is a gorgeous model.

Give it to me! I'll paint it!post-21051-0-74085500-1410374526_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-12664800-1410374554_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous piece of work, the thing with paint is...if it goes wrong you can paint it again......

BUT ask others opines first because it might actually be a great paint job....I thin a number of people 'walk off' having painted and feeling it's not good enough and when they go back ....actually it's pretty smart. Plus if you need to weather.....you can cheat and use clean water mixed with weathering powder which in general can be brushed off if you rally hate it. 

The thing is not to panic,,,,,you'll get there eventually.....and the building work is superb.

and the idea to trial it on some spare is spot on. Andwhere possible start painting off the product along the product and back off. Cardboard protector can be stood up to help cover the  areas you are not ready to paint.....or cling film........and I am sure.....loads of people can give you other ideas.

Wow! That is a gorgeous model.

Give it to me! I'll paint it!post-21051-0-74085500-1410374526_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-12664800-1410374554_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good Evening All

I have just completed a scratch built model of Haymarket MPD main shed building complete with internal lighting, it measures 510mm x 720mm the real size in 4mm scale should have been 1220mm in length but I thought this was just to big to handle so I reduced the length down to 720mm.

All that is required now is rain water pipes and gutters to the East and West elevation walls.

I would now like to weather the main roof sections and in particular dirty up the roof lights as these would never have been cleaned, any suggestions on how to achieve this would be more than welcome.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-97991300-1410380926_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-50680000-1410380944_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

David - that is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! What an absolutely first class piece of work.

For the roof weathering - I'd suggest an overall wash of diluted weathered black acrylic (or similar) but not pure black - applied with a wide brush and work it up in layers. If anything, it will give you a base to work on and pick up the details in the tiles and window frames. Once dry, you can use a cotton bud to wipe sections of the dirtied windows clean. Then for the roof again, some judicious lighter  and darker dry brushing to  represent stains running down from the roof vents?

Peter! Where have you been? And stop posting photographs of brick walls with 20p pieces photoshopped onto them!

Hey Freebs.

I have been away for a while working on world poverty. But now I have returned! 

Not sure how you figured out my ruse - I thought my photoshop skills were getting better?

Come on jamal - show us your pics

Did you mean 'Jamiel'? I posted a couple of buildings back in post 212, of a water tower/coaler based on the one at Plaistow, and a goods building based on one at the old Birmingham New Street. They are approximate copies, and also show how much of a 'mongrel' my layout is, or will be.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74067-show-us-your-scratchbuilt-building/?p=1124079

I was working on the first of two signal boxes for the layout, but everything is on hold, packed away in boxes after a house move, and waiting for a shed to arrive to house the layout. I got a little further than this, before it was packed away, I finished the basic tiling, but no leading or edges. Here is a photo a few days before it went into a packing box.

SignalBox37.jpg

On the subject of tunnels, here are a couple of pics of the entrance to the double tunnel at the north end of the station.

Tunnel18.jpg

Tunnel16.jpg

There are more details on my thread for the layout 'Ellerby; linked below. I can't wait for the shed to arrive, set up the work bench and get back to modeling, and hopefully make some better, more finished contributions to this thread.

Jamie L

(I quite like Jamal though)

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 9

Having practised long and hard to get a finish that I was happy with, I've finally applied paintbrush to plastic on my 2mm version of Lightcliffe. So far I've only done the waiting rooms but I'm pretty happy with the results and having also glazed the windows have now embarked upon tiling the roof.

Given this is 2mm scale and that the buildings will inevitably be viewed from above, to my mind the roof is the most important part as far as appearance goes. I considered using embossed plasticard and played around with self adhesive tiles from York Modelmaking but neither of them quite had the impact I was looking for. Then I stumbled upon some very thin slate effect slips (http://www.richardstacey.com/versirf.html#sridge) and decided to have a go with chopping them up and using them as individual slates. Made a start with those this afternoon and finding the whole thing very theraputic.

IMG_0685_1024_zpsdfec50f8.jpg

• Like 4

Hey branwell,

I have found that wet and dry paper has the most perfect texture for tiles. The back of it is literally a paper and can be marked with pencil and cut with a sharp blade. A fine 1200 would be great for 2mm!

Here is one I made in 4mm with 600 wet and dry:

Petepost-21051-0-66424700-1410826453_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey branwell,

I have found that wet and dry paper has the most perfect texture for tiles. The back of it is literally a paper and can be marked with pencil and cut with a sharp blade. A fine 1200 would be great for 2mm!

Here is one I made in 4mm with 600 wet and dry:

Pete

Thanks for the tip Pete - I've used wet and dry for flat roofs before but had never thought about using it for tiles/slates.

The slips I'm using have a real slate coating so the textures are pretty good (certainly good enough for me) plus they're reversible, with dark coloured slate on one side and light coloured slate on the other ... and there's also colour variation within the slips in a pack so you get a nicely random roof without having to get the paintbrushes out.

David