RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi Folks,

Something a bit different, Low relief Brewery buildings in 4mm scale

The larger structure was made to cover part of a household Boiler. and forms part of a large layout in 4mm,

the jagged edges at the bottom of the larger structure is to cover some existing trackwork which will be covered.

When i opened the page and saw this my mind just said...believable....great work

I can't really compete with the quality of the modelling on here so I shall through in some interiors instead.

A Garage

2013-09-11133925_zpsff9a4b87.jpg

A Bedroom

2014-04-08231534_zps66dfd9b4.jpg

A Bathroom

2014-02-20143626_zps79c35d4c.jpg

and taking it back outside, a bus shelter

2014-02-12210906_zpsff2aba7c.jpg

all 1:76

I particularly like the bathroom, a bit of ladder for the radiator would be easy enough...but I love the basin the bath and the toilet, and the shower and steamed up mirror with toothbrushes in front are really good. You should check out Freebs, CW&R and acg_mr layout they love that miniaturisation. There is a picture of a particularly stinky urinal...that comes to mind.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, I've built part of a row of cottages that used to exist along Southgate in Market Weighton - 4mm scale. The model was built about 10 years ago and, as far as I can remember is constructed from plasticard, Slaters roof tiling and some other materials. I hope that this is of some interest.post-22631-0-74408600-1399504450.jpg

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 11

Here is a thatched cottage, my first scratchbuilt building, just completed and it was inspired by "Downes Plans" (published 1979). It was fun to make and probably a bit rough compared to that of the Master.

post-21181-0-66372000-1400268716_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Here is a thatched cottage, my first scratchbuilt building, just completed and it was inspired by "Downes Plans" (published 1979). It was fun to make and probably a bit rough compared to that of the Master.

A bit rough did you say Sarge ? well you should've seen a close up of mine - THAT was what you'd call rough !

Nice model there mate and you should be proud  and especially for a first time effort.

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan.

Many thanks for your kind observations. I have to say that I have tried scratchbuilding before with plastic sheets. Although plastic is a very good material, I can't seem to get on with it. I am now trying my hand at a small Tudor building involving empty Camembert boxes and lashings of Colron wood dye.

All the best, William.

• Like 1

Hi William.

When scratchbuilding, always use the best materials possible and where cardboard is concerned, corn flakes packets are a false economy ! - and NEVER use 'faced' cardboard as the facing layer can lift and peel off far to easily AFTER the building has been assembled where all your hard work collapses around you !

So at little cost, get quality plain grey cardboard on line from 'Pullingers'

Cheers,

Allan.

For a first attempt - WOW. Thatch is just about the hardest thing there is to get looking even reasonable. Yours is very effective.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart for your kind comments. For me the thatch was the easiest part of the model. I just followed the instructions on page 2 of Downes plans book 3, " More Country Buildings". I stuck 4 layers of 3 ply wool onto card and then glued scenic grass material on top. The whole was then dyed with wood dye. This method is probably quicker than using plumbers' hemp or human hair, although these materials may have given a more realistic finish.

William.