Show us your scratchbuilt building

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely stunning model but only one criticism - the doors are hung upside down.

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan, I even checked on the web before building them and still got it wrong, and I now know more about building full size doors than my brain can cope wih, that's thanks to the good people on rmweb. to everyone I will change them promise. all the best Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Allan, I even checked on the web before building them and still got it wrong, and I now know more about building full size doors than my brain can cope wih, that's thanks to the good people on rmweb. to everyone I will change them promise. all the best Adrian

I am sure we've all done it before!

Still a stunning model, full of atmosphere.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Re upside down doors.

Apart from me hanging more doors upside down than the entire modelling fraternity put together, I've often noticed that skilled carpenters in the film props industry weren't adverse to hanging a few doors upside down either - Westerns are full of upside down doors !

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Re upside down doors.

Apart from me hanging more doors upside down than the entire modelling fraternity put together, I've often noticed that skilled carpenters in the film props industry weren't adverse to hanging a few doors upside down either - Westerns are full of upside down doors !

Cheers.

Allan

Ahh! but those Westerns may have been filmed in the Southern hemisphere  :dontknow:

I can't really compete with the quality of the modelling on here so I shall through in some interiors instead.

A Garage

2013-09-11133925_zpsff9a4b87.jpg

A Bedroom

2014-04-08231534_zps66dfd9b4.jpg

A Bathroom

2014-02-20143626_zps79c35d4c.jpg

and taking it back outside, a bus shelter

2014-02-12210906_zpsff2aba7c.jpg

all 1:76

Shouldn't the bike be kept in the bedroom?? :mosking:

One of my latest scratchbuilt creations (seen already elsewhere on the forum - but I thought I'd show it here as well.)

French metre gauge 'Tramways de Correze' station based on the one at Le Mortier. Built to HO scale from a Dennis Allenden plan.

As pointed out elsewhere, the postbox should not be red.  It will be repainted blue in due course!

post-807-0-86818900-1401392507_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-74716800-1401392528_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Here's another scratch built building just completed. A cow byre this time ready to slot into a rural scene.

The half timbering was cut from empty camembert boxes, the infill is made from air drying clay and the slates from 600 grade sandpaper. Will's brick sheets were also used in the construction. The whole was painted using artists' oils.

post-21181-0-03913900-1401528600_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you Allan, I am much encouraged. As regards textures these were created mostly by using a mixture of washes of thinned oil paints and dry brushing thicker mixtures of the same with a stiff brush. Artist oils have the disadvantage of taking a long time to dry but they have better consistancy than acrylics in my opinion. The model will need to be sealed with mat varnish after a few weeks of drying time. Stained wood from camembert boxes was used for the timbering. This gives a reasonable representation of the real thing in 4mm scale. In a past life I used to restore oil paintings so paints and colours are almost second nature.

All the best,

William.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a couple of shots of a Provender Store I've just finished building for Bakewell goods yard:

post-17302-0-24440200-1402099493_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-49341500-1402099500_thumb.jpg

It's built from styrene sheet and strip, and painted using Humbrol acrylics diluted with water.

Al.

• Like 9

As just posted in the 2mm Finescale Thread.

Further progress on the main station building for the Pennine Area Group's model of Lightcliffe together with a couple of photos of the real thing for comparison.

IMG_0486_zpsd3bc33d7.jpg

IMG_0487_zps4b1e9eb2.jpg

TMP0530-LightcliffeStation-generalviewof

IMG_0488_zps7fd4b40b.jpg

IMG_0489_zpsd0847a8d.jpg

IMG_0490_zpsa1ea3b29.jpg

LYRS8500-LightcliffeStation-generalviewo

Signs aren't quite going according to plan and I've had to abandon my attempts at using 1mm brass lettering for the moment and have resorted to produing signs on my computer and gluing them to plasticard backing. Not totally happy with the early efforts on the left but getting there with the ones on the right.

IMG_0493_zps15a7e5fd.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you Allan - coming from your goodself that's praise indeed. Like a lot of other people on here, you were an inspirartion as I was starting modelling and if I can ever get anywhere near your standards I'll be a happy man.

And yes, it is 2mm scale but it's taken a while - nine months and counting so far, including one binned attempt, and still a lot to do. Bit scared I'll muck it up when it comes to the painting, but it's amazing what you can get away in this scale as well compared to the larger scale.

Hope it is OK to just dive in with a H0 scale warehouse from the middle of Norway:

stenexpo_050214.jpg

You might call this a custom made kit as the core of the building is a laser cut plywood box clad with Stripwood.

The windows has etched mullions and stripwood framing.

The big sign is made from a custom made CNC-cut stencil.

But then my modelling motto is "By Any Means Neccesary" !

And here is a prototype shot: 

ostlandske_2014_w.jpg

I chose to build my building in a better condition, as it is going to be used as an operating industry on our club layout at the Trondheim Model Railroad Club.

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 8

That's splendid Hauk, full of character. The colouring is spot on!

Is there any more from Trondheim MRC to be found on RMweb?

Shaun 

Thanks for the kind words!

There is no other postings about the club at this time, but as we get some more progress done on the scenery, this might change!

Here is a couple of  images of the building placed in the unfinished scene:

tmjk_004.jpg

tmjk_003.jpg

• Like 16